Cheltenham Bumper

A very taking debut but four year old bumpers at this time of year on soft ground are notoriously tricky form wise.

My uncle drove Eddie O Leary, Giginstown racing manager, to a new years party and he told him that Mullins thinks the world of this horse. Mullins described him as "the next coming". A fair statement to make with the ammunition he has. I reckon team weld definately dropped a bullet by withdrawing Silver Concorde. I doubt we'll se the winner at Cheltenham tho because of O'Leary's dislike of the champion bumper.

My uncle drove Eddie O Leary, Giginstown racing manager, to a new years party and he told him that Mullins thinks the world of this horse. Mullins described him as "the next coming". A fair statement to make with the ammunition he has. I reckon team weld definately dropped a bullet by withdrawing Silver Concorde. I doubt we'll se the winner at Cheltenham tho because of O'Leary's dislike of the champion bumper.

This sort of hysteria is banded around every year about a number of Mullins horses. I'd like a bet on who will have the highest RPR at the end of the season between him and Silver Concorde.

Had a look at the race for the first time there now... Made original comment after looking up the result. He only beat trees there today, the two that chased him into the straight looked like two big bulls. On heresay alone Weld's would have won the lenght of the straight.....:ninja:

Un atout quoted at 16's for the bumper.would be surprised personally if they sent it there given the connections.

Last edited:
Eddie O'Leary (Gigginstown Stud)

"I doubt he'll (Un Atout) be going to Cheltenham anyway," said O'Leary.

"We have the first two in the betting for the Champion Bumper with Un Atout and Don Cossack but unless something seriously changes, I don't think either of them will be going.

"It's just a race we don't particularly like as we think it can ruin a good young horse."

Waaheb withdrawn from the supreme market after weld stated that he won't have the horse ready by the festival.........sh@t just realised I put this on wrong thread

Last edited:
A very taking debut but four year old bumpers at this time of year on soft ground are notoriously tricky form wise.
You're not wrong Cantoris - I remember Johnson and Pipe paying a small fortune for Sergheyev after he'd won a similar race at Leopardstown, needless to say the form amounted to nothing and everyone knew that by the Champion Bumper.

Moscow Mannon impressed me yesterday at Gowran, both in appearance and performance. The runner up, Morning Royalty was a 17L winner last time out but received both weight and a beating on this occasion. The winner is clearly a very good horse.

One doubt, with Cheltenham in mind, is that he is quite highly strung and I wonder whether they'll want to take on the journey to England and all the Festival hoopla with him.

Moscow Mannon impressed me yesterday at Gowran, both in appearance and performance. The runner up, Morning Royalty was a 17L winner last time out but received both weight and a beating on this occasion. The winner is clearly a very good horse.

One doubt, with Cheltenham in mind, is that he is quite highly strung and I wonder whether they'll want to take on the journey to England and all the Festival hoopla with him.

He did it very well Art , being owned by the breeder I would be surprised if hes not sold to a high profile owner before the festival and that will determine his future plans.

Ps. its a pity Sword of Honour didnt make it , but Pat seems to be looking after him and will hopefully find a race on decent ground for him before March.

This sort of hysteria is banded around every year about a number of Mullins horses. I'd like a bet on who will have the highest RPR at the end of the season between him and Silver Concorde.

If you took that bet it wouldn't be looking great now, would it. Not a prayer he would've even got near the Mullins horse. They knew what they were at withdrawing him that day!:cool:

Trainer Brian Hamilton confirms that the Champion Bumper is the target with this horse. There's still a bit of 16/1 available, which looks fair given that he has what looks like the best form of any runner going into the race.

I would be interested to know if pipe is going to run Gevrey Chambertin at Cheltenham,rumoured to have hell of an engine.

Last edited:
I would be interested to know if pipe is going to run Gevrey Chambertin at Cheltenham,rumoured to have hell of an engine.

Is this the Grand Crus relation? I think it was Tom Scu who said recently that this time next year hed be a better horse than Grand Crus.....big words.

Is this the Grand Crus relation? I think it was Tom Scu who said recently that this time next year hed be a better horse than Grand Crus.....big words.
Grand crus brother I believe,watched it win down ffos las.....very easy and impressive.They really rate this.

Could be a machine. Tom Scudamore said that Grands Crus might not even be the best in his family this time next year.

I would doubt very much that they would risk him at Cheltenham. Pipe suggested that he might not even run again because they were keen to give him time to develop. I would expect him either to not run, or if he does to run in another minor bumper, and not at Cheltenham.

You might well be right, young horses like him are at a disadvantage in the Champion Bumper.

If anyone can tip up the winner of the Cheltenham bumper I will take my hat off to them but its arguably the hardest race of the festival to get right.

Back