Cheltenham Festival 2012: DAY 4

Forgot Last Instalment - pretty appalling one to forget as well. Any reason for your scepticism Simon? I'd say it's an accurate statement about Weapons Amnesty but didn't realise Last Instalment.

Fancied it. Was having a pony at 26 to get out for the week and didn't. I never want to hear about this years Cheltenham again.

I put him up on the other thread and gave him out to my Dad this morning. I had 3 other half decent bets and only had 12 bucks left in account with which to back him. Out of jail, and maybe around even for the week, which is always fine in my book.

There isn't one race I'll remember at this Festival in 2 months time, lost all enthusiasm for National Hunt racing with too many deaths and a drab structure.

I still sometimes go to sleep and hear the echoes of the crowd clapping Frankel with 2 furlongs left in the 2000 Guineas and I've never had a horse give me that over jumps.

Not quite sure how to put my finger on it but I just don't find any national hunt jockeys to have any personalities, the trainers have no characteristics, the owners looks disinterested, the horses choose when they want to win etc.

Absolute no contest between the two codes, the flat is by far a more marketable product.

I still sometimes go to sleep and hear the echoes of the crowd clapping Frankel with 2 furlongs left in the 2000 Guineas and I've never had a horse give me that over jumps.

They were clapping Kauto Star with over a circuit to go....

Last edited:
Not quite sure how to put my finger on it but I just don't find any national hunt jockeys to have any personalities, the trainers have no characteristics, the owners looks disinterested, the horses choose when they want to win etc.

Absolute no contest between the two codes, the flat is by far a more marketable product.

Bloody hell Bruce

You must be on the wind up ....?

Can't complain, showed a bit of profit on the week. Balthazar King and Bobs Worth my two main winners on an expensive lucky 15 with Hills.

I was mad keen on Time For Rupert if he'd ran in the speciality chase on Tuesday and would have put him in, but the owners wanted to have some fun and go for the GC, it's their horse so good for them:

He would of hacked up on Tuesday, and that would of been the difference between a borderline mediocre week and great week for me, but I accept the outcome and move on. No doubt the horse did himself proud today but unfortunately punters don't get payed out on that alone.

So pleased for The Giant Bolster, who i've been touting as a future horse to follow to one or two for a while. Couldn't really fancy him today but he certainly defied his odds of 50/1 didn't he!

If that was Kauto's last race then i just want to say have a happy retirement!

Last edited:
Forgot Last Instalment - pretty appalling one to forget as well. Any reason for your scepticism Simon? I'd say it's an accurate statement about Weapons Amnesty but didn't realise Last Instalment.

Hasn't he done three tendons? One's bad enough. If they do get him back he'll surely never be the same horse.

Share your sentiments SteveM. If it weren't for DaveG would have had 7 straight losers but Brindisi Breeze by far my smallest bet.
Keeping to a predetermined strategy of, no 'for an interest' bets, not backing short priced favourites and not taking on short priced favourites unless really confident-only backed First Lieutenant and he beat the favourite, I had a profitable and enjoyable first 3 days and 3 that didn't win -Fruity O'Rooney,Albertas Run and First Lieutenant- gave me a decent shout.
Today was dreadful, with Moon Dice drifting to 29 before the race being just one example of it all going T Up. Would be in a foul mood if driving back tonight.

It's wrong to think of this as a poor Cheltenham though as there were quite a few horses on show that look to be potential stars

Today was dreadful, with Moon Dice drifting to 29 before the race being just one example of it all going T Up. Would be in a foul mood if driving back tonight.

First thing I did when I woke up this morning was check Betfair. The drift on Moon Dice had me convinced there was something wrong. it just did not add up. he should have been no bigger than 14/15 on the machine if all was well.

Had a fab cheltenham - as im sure some of you lot could have guessed by 3.30 Wednesday, and followed up with backing Une Artiste on the tote (purely because shes pretty and the girl stopped and congratulated Mike when we were at the dope box and i thought that was really nice of her!)when I went to the window it paid out at somewhere around 50-1.... :D
Quit while I was ahead for the rest of the meeting - and glad I did, its a weight off my mind this month !!

Every chance. Hardly a Gold Cup winner that you would be wrapping in cotton wool.

Last edited:
What did we learn this Cheltenham? It was a strange week...
How many gambles came unstuck on Pipe yokes?
Question marks over the health of Mullins, Nicholls, Pipe horses.
Alan King had a poor week. Venetia's chasers ran like they had never seen a fence before. McCain had two winners and a couple placed but some of his ran absolutely stink.
The handicaps were more impossible than usual - Friday was a bloodbath.

You cannot make it pay in those handicaps and amateur races. Interest bets completely dilute any good ante-post work and discipline if it goes out the window always ends in tears.
Finished with my nose just about in front but it could have been so much better.

Stars of the week including and excluding pocket talk.

Sprinter Sacre got a round of applause in the Powers I watched the race in Pembroke St, Cork.
Sir Des Champs - looks a serious prospect.
Simonsig - Hype was correct - a monster.
Big Bucks - not just a stayer - he has some serious gears and a brilliant attitude.
Cinders and Ashes - Kicked a couple out of the ground but still won with a bit in hand.
Brindisi Breeze - Won impressively and whilst not the biggest - beat a very decent novice with a bit up his sleeve.
Barry Gerraghty - Some fantastic rides. RT was unreal.
Nicky Henderson - Little to add to what has already been said.
Quevega - Easily the best mare in training.

Villians.
Hurricane Fly - Ruined a couple of serious multiples.
Ruby - Savage on Big Bucks - some ill judged ones apart from that see above.
Nicholls - What was he thinking of running Kauto.
Stewards - Some ridiculous bans and the fiasco that marred the finish of the Champion Chase and cast doubt over a very decent Champion Chase winner in Finians.
Sizing Europe - Ruined a monster double.
FF - for beating the bejaysus out of us in the comp.

Thank God its all over I'm wrecked!!!!!

Remember - Tomorrow is Uttoxeter and Downpatrick. Please adjust stakes accordingly. I have found in the past I continue with a higher rate of stakes after the festival which never turns out well.

Back