Cheltenham Festival 2012: DAY 4

Great race, great ride, great training performance. JP deserves everything he gets, puts millions into the game every year. Was also great to see he was more worried about Kauto than his own triumph, a real gent.

Nicholls has tweeted to say Kauto is "fine".

Hamm - JP ploughs plenty of money into racing and he looks after his horses when their careers are over. That's good enough for me, and a damn sight more than a lot of owners bother to do. If he takes a bit back with a few touches - well, everyone knows they do it, so it's up to the form students to spot the plots beforehand.

So, according to you, Long Run needed a fence start, and still wouldn't have won, even though he lost 3 lengths.

What sort of maths are you using?

Nicholls has tweeted to say Kauto is "fine".

Hamm - JP ploughs plenty of money into racing and he looks after his horses when their careers are over. That's good enough for me, and a damn sight more than a lot of owners bother to do. If he takes a bit back with a few touches - well, everyone knows they do it, so it's up to the form students to spot the plots beforehand.

A few 'touches'??

no offence at all, but you should get a job with the media who fawn over him. It is cheating.

I sort of missed what Clive Smith said. I know he said they won't decide anything yet, but did he say he thought that'd be his last run or that he thought they'd run him again?

I sort of missed what Clive Smith said. I know he said they won't decide anything yet, but did he say he thought that'd be his last run or that he thought they'd run him again?

He was saying they'd almost certainly retire him.

The Long Run of last season would have won by at least 5 lengths today. LR isn't to within a stone of his running last year.

That's surely understandable to all at Team Nicky

Time for Rupert ran very well.

Why didn't they run China Rock in the Ryanair?

Agreed on both counts. My only half decent bet of the week was a back to lay on China Rock in the place market. Always travels well over that trip. Looks a very good horse, but probably not quick enough to win a Ryanair either. Maybe the good people at Cheltenham will arrange a 2m 7 furlong race for him ...with no hill! I've a soft spot for the horse.

Disagree with your thoughts on JP by the way. His investment in racing is incredible. Yes, they like to plot horses - on a large scale - but I've been involved with a few horses and that was our plan from Day One too. Most people enter the game with intentions of winning money. I don't see what he's done drastically wrong.

just got back in and watched the race..great ride..said LR was overrated ages ago...what a friend rates his CH as the big two were not at their best that year..LR no better than this years winner imo..in fact this years probably better..just been running in the wrong races for a while;)

I was up to my tonsils backing Kauto to be unplaced at 11/10.
A few weeks ago my brothers were talking about THe Giant Bolster and one of them asked me to put a tenner on him without the 2 favourites at 33/1.Took the tenner never did the bet-after the race at Newbury I thought definite non runner.Last night I thought I better take care of this and I decided to have 30 on him to place at 14/1.Result.

I think he was saying he would probably run again, but the conversation turned into a valedictory one. Confusing.

Edit just seen Other comment, i must have misheard. Hope he retires.

Last edited:
The Long Run of last season would have won by at least 5 lengths today. LR isn't to within a stone of his running last year.

That's surely understandable to all at Team Nicky

That I agree with. My point was if he was ridden more aggressively 3 out he may have done better. But he found little and SWC rode him too conservatively at the last few fences compared with how he flung him at them last year.

I was up to my tonsils backing Kauto to be unplaced at 11/10.
A few weeks ago my brothers were talking about THe Giant Bolster and one of them asked me to put a tenner on him without the 2 favourites at 33/1.Took the tenner never did the bet-after the race at Newbury I thought definite non runner.Last night I thought I better take care of this and I decided to have 30 on him to place at 14/1.Result.

Congratulations.

That I agree with. My point was if he was ridden more aggressively 3 out he may have done better. But he found little and SWC rode him too conservatively at the last few fences compared with how he flung him at them last year.

Good we can agree on that then. Maybe he just didn't have the same horse under him?

bad edition

Long Run
what a pity
talented horse ruined by jockey
the horse jumps slower day by day and difficult to blame him with that jockey on

about JPs comments
I was surprised by the comments
stable worst run in the isles in both codes, plenty of non triers and for the money spent impossible to achieve worst results.

He didn't but he should have been more aggressive. If he was, from some way out, he could have stretched them. He didn't seem to have any confidence in his horse.

Did anyone see David Bridgwater's interview on Racing UK?

Very amusing. 'Some people think there's only two trainers in this country'...and then a few profanities about The Giant Bolster's original handicap mark. [He was actually complaining that he was underrated]

That horse is only 7 so could be an improver still.

But you look to next year,

Sir Des Champs
Bobs Worth
First Lieutenant
Flemenstar [?]
The Bolster
Long Run
Synchronised
Invictus
Bog Warrior [Probably not]
Hidden Cyclone [Ryanair?]
Weapons Amnesty [? - O'Leary suggested the other day that the horse is probably a 'write off' now]

Of course, we'd do well to get 4 of those to the starting post...but still....

If they are going to retire Kauto, I doubt they'd announce it today - that would steal the winner's thunder.

No guarantee they will anyway; half-expect an announcement along the lines of "we'll bring him back after the summer and see how he is..."

He looks the business but still hasn't raced over a distance or been to Cheltenham yet so there's always gonna be that question mark,

Now, in fairness, being by Flemensfirth, he should be a stayer but...still...

Back