Cheltenham Festival: Tuesday Races

Although it was place when the bookie was doing nrnb I backed Sir Gino and C H both to win by 5 lengths I thought at worst 1/2 stake at 1/2 the odds or a. Bigger reduction but alas the took the whole 50 .

Just another fu because of AP

Last edited:
Hunters Yarn now Arkle fave on the exchange. Market remains an absolute basket-case.

Mystical Power now within 1.0 of Ballyburn’s price in the Supreme.

Garlic Warrior now Arkle fave (for buttons).

The market for the first two G1s of the Festival are a fu*cking shambles. :lol:

Is lossie going to run in the CH. ? The whole day is a **** up mate...if she switches the Suprem⁶e the Arkle The Champion Hurdle and the Mares fav all lost.....it's like à episode of Columbo..who dunit and wtf is coming next

Last edited:
Agreed all the Tue grades 1’s are basket cases, but can't see Willie switching when he has odds-on favourites for both these races...

Hands up, I'm pleased, and no disrespect to anyone who backed it for the Supreme, but I have Mystical Power at 16/1 and have the opportunity to take a profit or lay off to no risk.

Do, No disrespect, but you are beginning to sound like Hendo; you are frightened of losing, or worry they'll be just a slight tarnish on your reputation...

How can there be no risk?

You backed Mystical Power at 16/1 and say you can take a profit or lay it off at no risk...

So this profit; Let's say a £10 on it; bookie will offer you £20 at most to cash out, risk the cash-out and it wins, you lose £150..

Cash out and profit and win £20 You will still have a bet in the race...oh ill back MP at 3/1 I've got £20 here, it wins, you lose £80...

If you let it ride (which is the sensible thing to do) and it loses, you lose...If it wins, you win, but at a risk.....

This sounds like after timing before the race....

Get a pair of B*lls man....Good luck

Just exploring the options from a position of strength, Maxbet.

In terms of cashing out, if, as in your example, I take the offer I don't see it as losing £150 if it wins. I see it rather as winning a small amount and the race becomes irrelevant. Come to think of it, since the 5-day decs are now out, I think the cashout offer would be withdrawn by now. I think that's how they operate.

I could lay it on the exchanges at 7/2 so if it wins I win £135 plus the place portion, the stake for which then becomes at risk if it ends up unplaced.

I can also use the money to back something else to give me a further interest in the race.

Obviously my main inclination is to let it ride, especially given the very possible place return, but I don't see the harm in exploring my options. I'm always thinking about the Hippocratic approach with my punting even if I don't often stick to it.

I'd be surprised if many ante-post punters wouldn't prefer to be in this position than sitting on a docket for Ballyburn!

Knowing my luck, though, MP will probably go wrong over the weekend and be withdrawn...

First bet I put up to follow this season was Giovinco.

I backed him at big prices and on the day he could be less than half the price
Lay him or let him run I have no idea because it seems he is well fancied by some

12 declared in the Supreme:

Asian Master
Favour And Fortune
Firefox
Gold Dancer
Jeriko du Reponet
Kings Hill
Mistergif
Mystical Power
Slade Steel
Supersundae
Tellherthename
Tullyhill (FR)

10 declared in the Arkle:

Authorised Speed
Found A Fifty
Gaelic Warrior
Hunters Yarn
Il Etait Temps
JPR One
Master Chewy
Matata
My Mate Mozzie
Quilixios

8 declared in the Champion Hurdle:

Colonel Mustard
Iberico Lord
Irish Point
Nemean Lion
Not So Sleepy
State Man
Zarak The Brave
Luccia

11 declared in the Mares Hurdle:

Ashroe Diamond
Echoes In Rain
Gala Marceau
Hispanic Moon
Lantry Lady
Lossiemouth
Love Envoi
Marie's Rock
Telmesomethinggirl
Theatre Glory
You Wear It Well

7 declared in the National Hunt Chase:

Corbetts Cross
Embassy Gardens
Henry's Friend
Kilbeg King
Mr Vango
Salvador Ziggy
Apple Away

has to be the worst Champion Hurdle lineup since I began following the sport

has to be the worst Champion Hurdle lineup since I began following the sport

No. The presence of State Man alone makes it better than many.

We've had some right rank runnings down the years won by the likes of Hors La Loi, Flakey Dove, Collier Run, Dawn Run, etc.

No. The presence of State Man alone makes it better than many.

We've had some right rank runnings down the years won by the likes of Hors La Loi, Flakey Dove, Collier Run, Dawn Run, etc.

before my time DO. State Man will be better than some of the winners we've had in my time of watching such Rock on Ruby, Binocular, Hurricane Fly......(jk Grassy) but there's really nothing past him in the race unless something improves wildly from previous form. it's a woeful renewal.

Bizarrely, Lucinda doesn’t declare Giovinco or Apples Away in Ultima. With 23 declared, both would have got in.

AA goes in the National Hunt Chase. Giovinco presumably goes in Brown Advisory.

Last edited:
Bizarrely, Lucinda doesn’t declare Giovinco or Apples Away in Ultima. With 23 declared, both would have got in.

AA goes in the National Hunt Chase. Giovinco presumably goes in Brown Advisory.

The fact that AA doesn't seems amazing to me. I'm convinced that she is well handicapped. Not in the Kim Muir is equally baffling.

I suppose this must advertise her chances in the NH chase but there are only 7 runners for that(?!?!) and she's 20/1. I've backed her NRNB but I'm perplexed to be honest.

"25Nov23 Haydock (21.5Sft, RPR 120)
For a first run over fences Apple Away has performed brilliantly. She's been clever in front of a fence, she's got plenty of scope, she needs an extra half mile at least, if not a mile. She's just been outpaced - Lucinda Russell, trainer."

Last edited:
I thought they might be keeping her out of handicaps so they can target biggies in her second season. Perhaps the Hennessey/365?

How long since a mare won what is now the Ultima.I think Auntie Dot won it in the 80's but there wouldn't have been many since.

NRNB is such a mess I am starting a separate book (Singles ) for the festival

The Supreme: Jack Kennedy can get of to a flyer with Fire Fox 9/2

The Arkle: At the beginning of the season I said whatever Gaelic Warrior 7/2 runs in he wins.
He blotted his copybook last time but I think he temporarily jarred himself when he landed awkwardly 4 out.
5 out he looked to me like he was well in control and he hit 1.35 on the machine at that point.

My hope he takes of like Dunkirk and gallops them into the ground and will be surprised if he is not ridden that way

The Ultima: Time to make a cuppa and watch

Champion Hurdle: Take a chance without State Man on Ibericao Lad 7/2 who did me a favour in the Betfair
he'll have to be as good as Nicky thinks he is to beat Irish Saint home but he has the course form

Mares: I thinks she the biggest certainty of the meeting lossiemouth I backed already if first couple of race go my way. I will go in again

Boodles: The McManus million will come for Jonjo's who has laid his out for this
Will be backing him and dutching him with Daryl Jacob on Batman

Last race very tough but I will stick with Embassy Gardens and Patrick Mullins

How long since a mare won what is now the Ultima.I think Auntie Dot won it in the 80's but there wouldn't have been many since.

It's got me confused that race I can't work out what it was called before but I think it's the race Jonjo has won a few times notably with Wichita Lineman which would mean it was the Festival Trophy ? AD didn't win that so I really am not sure

EDIT. Sometimes it takes a while for the brain to work....Corach Rambler won it twice so it is/was the Festival chase Luke

Last edited:
Mullins with a few favourites on Tuesday wearing first time hoods. Would that be a negative to anyone here?

Back