Cheltenham Gold Cup 2015

The thing with Coneygree is he will be quite happy leading as he does in any other race..he doesn't know its a GC..but it will be when they are coming down the hill that he will find out which race he is in..and its this area to the finish that a novice will struggle..particularly one that is used to being in front.

its their horse..if they want to ruin him or worse thats their choice..foolish imo..but i'm just a plum on a forum.

Last edited:
I'm really starting to come around to Djakadam for this and can see him being heavily backed in next few days. I've availed myself to some of the 12/1 available as think he may go off closer to 6/1 come the day if Mullins on a roll.

Winning a handicap off 145 is no kind of prep for a Gold Cup. I will lay that one in the place-market until my balls ache.

I'm really starting to come around to Djakadam for this and can see him being heavily backed in next few days. I've availed myself to some of the 12/1 available as think he may go off closer to 6/1 come the day if Mullins on a roll.

I have been waiting for some one to tell why this horse can win the Gold Cup, I can take it on the chin if I am wrong but please someone convince me?

I have been waiting for some one to tell why this horse can win the Gold Cup, I can take it on the chin if I am wrong but please someone convince me?

If he stays, he wins. That should be enough to convince you.

Very selective, ignore The Hennessey but think Thyestes form is bomb proof? Former race is worth a lot more so cannot see he was half fit. More than likely Hennessey run at proper pace and Thyestes not hence the illusion he stays. Anyway good luck with it.

Last edited:
Very selective, ignore The Hennessey but think Thyestes form is bomb proof? Former race is worth a lot more so cannot see he was half fit. More than likely Hennessey run at proper pace and Thyestes not hence the illusion he stays. Anyway good luck with it.

He wasn't fully fit. They thought he would get away with it. He clearly didn't.
Fact remains he stayed 3m1 in Heavy ground. I have stated 'if' he stays as I do have niggling doubt. The mistake would be to take the Hennessy as a real guide to his ability.

I was there hennesy day and he looked like the horse had been to an all you could eat buffet so I'd ignore that.

To me he travelled like the best horse in that race until his lard arse blew up.

The step up in trip at Cheltenham will suit and he has to be a massive improver at his age. It may come a year early but I'm sure he's going to go off closer to 6/1 than the 12/1 currently so I'm happy to be on now.

The rest of the field to me bar Holywell and Many clouds are much of a muchness and exposed.

One of the first things I do during festival week is look at the entries for Friday and look at possible exit strategies -last year was a real mess and the bumper at Huntingdon on Wednesday became the start of the exit strategy.
Anyway looking ahead I could see the circumstances where Djakadam
starts fav or 2nd fav for the Gold Cup.12/1 with a run will leave you with plenty of options on Friday week.

Rule out Djakadam at your peril.

The Thyestes is one of the strongest handicap chases in the Irish calendar. To win it under top weight in heavy ground without coming out of third gear is no mean feat. The bare form still leaves him with a bit to find compared with, say, Many Clouds but nothing dramatic and it's impossible to say what he still had in reserve.

But he isn't exactly under the radar at just 12/1.

Thanks for giving me all of one minute to answer.

The Thyestes was OHO's 10th start in chases and the Gold Cup his 12th. Djakadam is 5th/6th chase starts in comparison. Maybe I should have pointed this out too? He isn't experienced enough to win a Gold Cup, and theories he was unfit for the Hennessy tend towards bullshit, given he was sent off favourite. There's also Mullins chase record at the Festival to consider, and the fact that a 130-rated animal was going to finish within 5L of him at Gowran, before tipping up at the last. He has an absolute bundle to find.

Good luck with your bet. I assume you have backed Djakadam, and aren't just trying to score a cheap point? It would be a real shame if it was the latter.

Last edited:
Can't see him deposing Hennessy winner Many Clouds, Rags to Riches the winner of the Lexux who has been 2nd favs for months and the AP MCoy JP McManus combination Carlingford Loch in the market
He's a 6 year old, who has already fallen at Cheltenham, bookies just love them

Rule out Djakadam at your peril.

The Thyestes is one of the strongest handicap chases in the Irish calendar. To win it under top weight in heavy ground without coming out of third gear is no mean feat. The bare form still leaves him with a bit to find compared with, say, Many Clouds but nothing dramatic and it's impossible to say what he still had in reserve.

But he isn't exactly under the radar at just 12/1.

BIG PEN right through the thing.......ZAP!!! gone.

Handicap is the magical word

The race has never produced a Gold Cup winner and probably never will.

Prior to winning The Thyestes you could have 50/1 about him and suddenly he wins a desperate handicap and he's a contender.

Young pretender more like who'll get his a$$ felt in the Gold Cup.

Wonder what Davy Russel thinks after the outburst about taking Bradstock licence of him if he runs Coneygree....Nuts running a 6 year old

BIG PEN right through the thing.......ZAP!!! gone.

Handicap is the magical word

The race has never produced a Gold Cup winner and probably never will.

Prior to winning The Thyestes you could have 50/1 about him and suddenly he wins a desperate handicap and he's a contender.

Young pretender more like who'll get his a$$ felt in the Gold Cup.

Wonder what Davy Russel thinks after the outburst about taking Bradstock licence of him if he runs Coneygree....Nuts running a 6 year old

Did you ever hear of a horse called Arkle.

The Thyestes was OHO's 10th start in chases and the Gold Cup his 12th. Djakadam is 5th/6th chase starts in comparison. Maybe I should have pointed this out too? He isn't experienced enough to win a Gold Cup, and theories he was unfit for the Hennessy tend towards bullshit, given he was sent off favourite. There's also Mullins chase record at the Festival to consider, and the fact that a 130-rated animal was going to finish within 5L of him at Gowran, before tipping up at the last. He has an absolute bundle to find.

Good luck with your bet. I assume you have backed Djakadam, and aren't just trying to score a cheap point? It would be a real shame if it was the latter.

He has plenty to find on form....but no reason at all that he wont find it.

No reason at all......other than it would take an unusually large amount of improvement to see him involved in the finish.......plus the fact he still has to prove he stays the trip.........and still has to prove he acts on the course.........and all of this from a horse with five chase starts under his belt, one of which was a Fall.

Dream on.

Last edited:
No reason at all......other than it would take an unusually large amount of improvement to see him involved in the finish.......plus the fact he still has to prove he stays the trip.........and still has to prove he acts on the course.........and all of this from a horse with five chase starts under his belt, one of which was a Fall.

Dream on.

Or the rest are just exposed plodders... :p

Aye....Gold Cups are usually full of them right enough.

Exactly how bad a Gold Cup do you think this is? It's not great, I'll give you that, but it's not bad enough that a horse with Djakadam's profile can win it. The Hennessy was only 3 months ago - you might want to take another look at the race, before committing any more of your 'easily earned'. :lol:

Last edited:

Where I agree is that it may just be a year early for him. He does though have youth and vastly more potential improvement than OHO.
I was at Newbury and saw him. He was plenty big enough.
He jumped and travelled very well indeed. Was clearly caught out by lack of fitness. Doubters would no doubt been after him last time out over a test enough.

No interests in cheap points. This is a game of opinions where a vast range of opinions will be discussed.
Yes am a Djakadam fan and backed him near enough a year ago.

Last edited:
Back