Cheltenham Gold Cup 2015

I've got him 3L's faster than Denman, and I thought he set a bloody good standard for this race. I'm sure this race is going to leave a mark on a few

the overall speed figure i get is massive..i've just got to do the sectionals to see if Next Sensation + Foxhunters were run to par finishing speed..if they were ..then they must be 3 exceptional chasers that took part in the GC

the foxhunters was about 110%..so not truly run..Next Sensation was strongly run 98.8%..possibly damaged final rating.. i get that race as 10 slow

so..trying my hardest to be conservative..i get Coneygree a speed figure of 182

I've watched the race a few times now.

I hope in the years to come we'll look back at it and regard it as a benchmark to rank alongside the best recent renewals such as the Denman and Kauto Star years. Last year's will be confined to the Cool Ground - Nortons Coin folder.

My worry is that Djakadam, Road To Riches (especially) and Holywell might not get over the race. Losing an epic race to Bobs Worth bottomed Long Run. Looking at Coneygree this morning on TV, it doesn't look like it's taken too much out of him.

RTR and Djakadam are the two I thought are most likely to have been bottomed

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I hope in the years to come we'll look back at it and regard it as a benchmark to rank alongside the best recent renewals such as the Denman and Kauto Star years. Last year's will be confined to the Cool Ground - Nortons Coin folder.

Cracking race, and a real good winner, but I'd find it hard to believe that the 2nd and 3rd are in the Kauto/Denman class - which they'd need to be to rate the race so highly, considering how close up they finished.

Cracking race, and a real good winner, but I'd find it hard to believe that the 2nd and 3rd are in the Kauto/Denman class - which they'd need to be to rate the race so highly, considering how close up they finished.

These are my immediate thoughts, reet. I've still to crunch the numbers. If, once I've done so, I downgrade the form a bit will that leave me open to criticism? From certain quarters, no doubt. But better to correct a mistake than to live with and compound one.

As you know, I'm fond of the 'take x out' approach. I've done this from a couple of perspectives.

Take the first three out. On His Own has set a strong pace and held off one strong pretender in Many Clouds, and Silviniaco Conti, the best staying chaser in the country but one whose fallibility on this course was already a debating point after last year. Those two have pretty much run last year's race to the pound. Smad Place, many people's idea of a good outsider and the Irish Hennesy winner Carlingford Lough wwere right on their tail. You'd understand anyone arguing they've all run their races close to expectations. Get the binoculars out. Holywell has beaten them 14 lengths. We'd be hailing Holywell as an exceptional Gold Cup winner. Yet he's six lengths and more behind another three.

Had it been a muddling sort of race, I could have wondered about it all. But the time angle is very compelling.

Last edited:
These are my immediate thoughts, reet. I've still to crunch the numbers. If, once I've done so, I downgrade the form a bit will that leave me open to criticism? From certain quarters, no doubt. But better to correct a mistake than to live with and compound one.

As you know, I'm fond of the 'take x out' approach. I've done this from a couple of perspectives.

Take the first three out. On His Own has set a strong pace and held off one strong pretender in Many Clouds, and Silviniaco Conti, the best staying chaser in the country but one whose fallibility on this course was already a debating point after last year. Those two have pretty much run last year's race to the pound. Smad Place, many people's idea of a good outsider and the Irish Hennesy winner Carlingford Lough wwere right on their tail. You'd understand anyone arguing they've all run their races close to expectations. Get the binoculars out. Holywell has beaten them 14 lengths. We'd be hailing Holywell as an exceptional Gold Cup winner. Yet he's six lengths and more behind another three.

Had it been a muddling sort of race, I could have wondered about it all. But the time angle is very compelling.

if you use the finishing % of all the races ..to see which ones weren't true time tests..like the Foxhunters...you can make a pretty accurate time mark on this race

like i said..i get 182..but am going to do some work on previous meets..would be interested to see what your rating is

I think Reets point is interesting..but we actually do not have fully developed figures for the 2nd + 3rd..they wouldn't be horses that have definite end product marks like SC etc..they could actually be mid/late 170's . as both are improving every time they run

from a time aspect..this is solid...not sure how you will do the form thing though DO...a magic wand maybe

that official 171 is just ridiculous imo.

Haydock and KG for the winner next year according to Bradstock

they could be tempted to replicate Denman if he strips well I'd thnk and go Hennessy

Last edited:
Plenty of time for Coneygree to improve his rating. He could only beat what where there in front of him to beat yesterday, imo.

Denman won his 2nd Hennessey off 174. Coneygree off 171. Would have a good chance imo, granted he got over that race.

Vautour I do think will get 3m. Also talk he'll be aimed at next years Gold Cup. Would seriously question him getting home in similar circumstances to yesterday.
Ground and pace would dictate his chances. Decent ground and no Coneygree setting those fractions would give him a chance.

Throw in Don Poli, Djakadam and RTR. Mouthwatering at the thought of it.

Would it not be a concern how he veered left towards the end of the race. We've seen in the past how lung bursting victories up that hill can take a mean toll on a horse.

Last edited:
Would it not be a concern how he veered left towards the end of the race. We've seen in the past how lung bursting victories up that hill can take a mean toll on a horse.

will leave a toll.

bobs and SDC never quite the same.

only thing in his favour is that he is relatively lightly raced and isn't going to be asked to run again this term.

I get the going yesterday as extremely close to 2008 when Denman won..in fact the going stick that day suggested it was faster in 2008 than yesterday......it wasn't though. If it had been faster in 2008 then that would favour Coneygree even more.

The times from all the races when you allow for the new way of timing are remarkably similar on both days..this gives us a unique comparison between Denman +Coneygree

These are the cumulutive times from when they pass the starter

…..................
DENMAN75.6146.4242.2323.5404.5
CONEYGREE71.5144.5240.3322.6402.5

<tbody>
[TD="width: 65"] Start-F4 [/TD]
[TD="width: 65"] F4-F9 [/TD]
[TD="width: 65"] F9-F13 [/TD]
[TD="width: 65"] F13-F19 [/TD]
[TD="width: 65"] F19-FIN [/TD]

</tbody>

these are the individual splits

…...................
DENMAN75.670.895.881.381.0
CONEYGREE71.573.095.882.379.9

<tbody>
[TD="width: 65"] Start-F4 [/TD]
[TD="width: 65"] F4-F9 [/TD]
[TD="width: 65"] F9-F13 [/TD]
[TD="width: 65"] F13-F19 [/TD]
[TD="width: 65"] F19-FIN [/TD]

</tbody>

Last edited:
So between fence 4 and fence 19 Denman was 3 seconds quicker. To me that's more telling than the 2 seconds he's was behind at the finish.

2008DENMAN14.212.135.114.211.410.915.514.818.219.430.511.634.313.710.710.414.714.417.418.229.512.820.5
2015CONEYGREE12.511.633.513.911.311.316.015.319.119.630.511.833.913.710.610.315.414.517.819.229.712.118.9

<colgroup><col width="45"><col width="116"><col width="42"><col width="42"><col width="42"><col width="42"><col width="42"><col width="42"><col width="42"><col width="42"><col width="42"><col width="42"><col width="42"><col width="42"><col width="42"><col width="42"><col width="42"><col width="42"><col width="42"><col width="42"><col width="42"><col width="42"><col width="42"><col width="42"><col width="42"></colgroup> <tbody>
[TD="width: 45"][/TD]
[TD="width: 116"] Fence [/TD]
[TD="width: 42"] 1 [/TD]
[TD="width: 42"] 2 [/TD]
[TD="width: 42"] 3 [/TD]
[TD="width: 42"] 4 [/TD]
[TD="width: 42"] 5 [/TD]
[TD="width: 42"] 6 [/TD]
[TD="width: 42"] 7 [/TD]
[TD="width: 42"] 8 [/TD]
[TD="width: 42"] 9 [/TD]
[TD="width: 42"] 10 [/TD]
[TD="width: 42"] 11 [/TD]
[TD="width: 42"] 12 [/TD]
[TD="width: 42"] 13 [/TD]
[TD="width: 42"] 14 [/TD]
[TD="width: 42"] 15 [/TD]
[TD="width: 42"] 16 [/TD]
[TD="width: 42"] 17 [/TD]
[TD="width: 42"] 18 [/TD]
[TD="width: 42"] 19 [/TD]
[TD="width: 42"] 20 [/TD]
[TD="width: 42"] 21 [/TD]
[TD="width: 42"] 22 [/TD]
[TD="width: 42"] Fin [/TD]

</tbody>

Last edited:
I was concerned about how he veered to the right, given he's had leg trouble in the past, and was relieved to see that he was sound enough today. Was Nico just a little bit careful with him at the last fence which caused him to lose his momentum slightly, but then powered on up the hill. Race gets better each time I re watch it.

Back