Cheltenham Handicap Watch

Saturday Lanzarote - Ilikethewayurthinkin

On a mark of 132 in Ireland. One suspects this is a fishing expedition to see what the 'cheating Irish" tax will be from the UK handicapper. I doubt he will run. Hint, 140 won't stop him winning the Martin Pipe. I believe Skybet have him 25/1 in their Request A Bet section. If it is still there take some.

County Hurdle - Elborado Allen

Hiked from 145 to 152 for making the grave mistake of trying in a 15k handicap at Sandown on Saturday. 7lbs for finishing 2nd ends any major chances of winning a handicap hurdle and connections will already have one eye on going chasing. Had he finished 10th on Saturday he would have been some certainty for the Betfair Hurdle.

Ilikethewayurthinkin now 7/1 best after a big move in the market for him today.

https://www.oddschecker.com/cheltenham-festival/martin-pipe-handicap-hurdle/winner

Last edited:
Mercy Mercy Me is an excellent bet at 25/1 for the Close Bros Chase with the NRNB concession (Skybet)

He’s entered for the 2.5 novice handicap on Trials day with Cobden seemingly jocked up.

He needs the third run over fences to qualify, having putting in a fairly eye catching performance in a Plumpton bonus race before beating a fairly good horse in Dashing Perk at Sandown in staying on fashion.

Currently rated 133 he’d need to win well to have any chance of going up the necessary 7 to 8 lb to have any chance of qualifying for the festival race.

If that doesn’t happen on Saturday then he won’t qualify for March so you’ll get your money back but if he does produce the required performance then he’s sure to be one of the favs, especially with their current market leader City Island now being aimed at the stayers.

Could also back him at 16/1 NRNB for the plate as a safety net in case he runs well on Saturday but doesn’t go up enough to qualify for the novice race as a 4 or 5 lb hike may sneak him into the Thursday race.

Mercy Mercy Me is an excellent bet at 25/1 for the Close Bros Chase with the NRNB concession (Skybet)

He’s entered for the 2.5 novice handicap on Trials day with Cobden seemingly jocked up.

He needs the third run over fences to qualify, having putting in a fairly eye catching performance in a Plumpton bonus race before beating a fairly good horse in Dashing Perk at Sandown in staying on fashion.

Currently rated 133 he’d need to win well to have any chance of going up the necessary 7 to 8 lb to have any chance of qualifying for the festival race.

If that doesn’t happen on Saturday then he won’t qualify for March so you’ll get your money back but if he does produce the required performance then he’s sure to be one of the favs, especially with their current market leader City Island now being aimed at the stayers.

Could also back him at 16/1 NRNB for the plate as a safety net in case he runs well on Saturday but doesn’t go up enough to qualify for the novice race as a 4 or 5 lb hike may sneak him into the Thursday race.

133 isn't getting into the Plate either.

133 isn't getting into the Plate either.

Agreed but my point is, if he runs well enough on Saturday to warrant a 4 or 5 lb rise to sneak into the bottom of the plate (which he could do with c. 138) or betters that with a 7 or 8lb rise to get into the Novice race then that sort of performance would put him near the head of the market in either race.

And if he doesn’t produce that on Saturday, and his mark stays on 133 then you’ll get your money back from both races as he won’t qualify and it’s NRNB.

It’s a no lose situation, even if you want to hedge out after Saturday.

Last edited:
Agreed but my point is, if he runs well enough on Saturday to warrant a 4 or 5 lb rise to sneak into the bottom of the plate (which he could do with c. 138) or betters that with a 7 or 8lb rise to get into the Novice race then that sort of performance would put him near the head of the market in either race.

And if he doesn’t produce that on Saturday, and his mark stays on 133 then you’ll get your money back from both races as he won’t qualify and it’s NRNB.

It’s a no lose situation, even if you want to hedge out after Saturday.

Hedge out? Why not just beg on the street for the price of a can of coke and a Twix bar...

I’ve never hedged out but the opportunity would be there for the more risk averse

Last edited:
I’ve never hedged out but the opportunity would be there for the more risk averse

If you genuinely think he will be at the head of the betting for a festival handicap on the back of getting a rise on Saturday then you should be smashing the 11/1 with Coral that he wins on Saturday.

If you genuinely think he will be at the head of the betting for a festival handicap on the back of getting a rise on Saturday then you should be smashing the 11/1 with Coral that he wins on Saturday.

I’ve taken it already

I've been studying the same race - the 2.5 novice handicap 13:15 Sat at Cheltenham - but there's been a couple of different ones took my eye, with a forward view to the Close Bros. at the festival. Elliot was fishing for UK H'cap marks with more than just Samcro here. Galvin at 20/1 for the Close Bros. interests me.

Then the Fav Imperial Aura has been very much on my radar since he finished 2nd to PYM at Cheltenham over 3 miles in December.
He ran a cracking race before just succumbing to the stamina of Pym. I'd hope the shorter trip is ideal for him.
Currently off OR 136 he needs 4/5 lbs rise himself to be sure of getting into the Close Bros. where he's currently a 25/1 shot for that.

The Close Brothers is hard enough to solve on the day!

Fair point. I'm probably living on past glories as having studied it last year led me to Ben Dundee EW at a big price who got placed.
Suppose just trying to identify early if there's a potential A Plus Tard in there this year!

Fair point. I'm probably living on past glories as having studied it last year led me to Ben Dundee EW at a big price who got placed.
Suppose just trying to identify early if there's a potential A Plus Tard in there this year!

I think people try too hard to work out things that aren't necessarily the edge they think it will be. That race was 5s the field last year and A Plus Tard thrown in! First time to look at it will be the day before in my opinion.

Palmers Hill goes in the Pertemps qualifier tomorrow. Not seen for a long time but absolutely hacked up last time at Cheltenham.

One horse who is getting a lot faster over fences at just the right time is the Edward O Grady trained Allardyce.

Entered up in the Matheson Handicap Chase on Feb 1st.

Interesting with a low weight in that.

Last edited:
Palmers Hill goes in the Pertemps qualifier tomorrow. Not seen for a long time but absolutely hacked up last time at Cheltenham.

The other JP wears a tongue tie after having a wind op. Talk about making sure a horse won't choke...

The Close Brothers is hard enough to solve on the day!

I'd have said the same, however I took a good half-hour last night to try and make out what Paul Kealy was suggesting for this weekend in his Weekender article and he advises Imperial Aura at 25/1 (apparently having already tipped it in the RP at 33/1) for the Close Brothers rather than back it this weekend. That's my kind of price so I'm following him in blind (in just about every sense!)

Then the Fav Imperial Aura has been very much on my radar since he finished 2nd to PYM at Cheltenham over 3 miles in December.
He ran a cracking race before just succumbing to the stamina of Pym. I'd hope the shorter trip is ideal for him.
Currently off OR 136 he needs 4/5 lbs rise himself to be sure of getting into the Close Bros. where he's currently a 25/1 shot for that.

I'd have said the same, however I took a good half-hour last night to try and make out what Paul Kealy was suggesting for this weekend in his Weekender article and he advises Imperial Aura at 25/1 (apparently having already tipped it in the RP at 33/1) for the Close Brothers rather than back it this weekend. That's my kind of price so I'm following him in blind (in just about every sense!)

Kealy must be reading my posts again........ :ninja:

Last year OR 138 was the lowest to get in to the Close Bros. and it's been a very tight H'Cap range of only 6/7 lbs in recent years.
Imperial Aura OR 136 still needs to go up a few lbs to guarantee getting in, which means he'll have to be trying tomorrow.
By that logic, I thought he was potentially still a bet tomorrow too, although 3/1 is a little bit skinny in a competitive race.

Apologies, DH. I'm unable to follow the threads as closely as I'd like.

Kealy arrives at the same conclusion as you re Saturday - thinks he should/needs to win but reckons the price is skinny. He's anticipating a reduction in price for the CB if/when he wins on Saturday.

Fingers crossed for a result.

Apologies, DH. I'm unable to follow the threads as closely as I'd like.

Kealy arrives at the same conclusion as you re Saturday - thinks he should/needs to win but reckons the price is skinny. He's anticipating a reduction in price for the CB if/when he wins on Saturday.

Fingers crossed for a result.

You should try and look at Phoenix Way off 133 in the 2.35 Huntingdon today. The form of his last race will your eyes popping out of your head. He is out to 5/1 as the market plays it's favourite games, JP will he won't he.

Burbank runs in the Skybet tomorrow off 145.

Finished just ahead of Kemboy in the 2017 Neptune Hurdle, looks to be progressive over fences and acquired by Trevor Hemmings early last year. If he goes well but runs out of steam in the last half mile, he might be of interest in the Close Bros. On the other hand, his season might be all about tomorrow.

My cliff horse Solomon Grey goes for The Skybet as well.

Will I ever give up?

If the past is anything to go by he will be declared a non runner about 7 minutes before the off...

Last edited:
You should try and look at Phoenix Way off 133 in the 2.35 Huntingdon today. The form of his last race will your eyes popping out of your head. He is out to 5/1 as the market plays it's favourite games, JP will he won't he.

2nd or 3rd up 2 lb job done.

Back