Cheltenham Handicap Watch

I don't think anyone is better than me at identifying when a JP obvious non-jigger type will try.

You should try and look at Phoenix Way off 133 in the 2.35 Huntingdon today. The form of his last race will your eyes popping out of your head. He is out to 5/1 as the market plays it's favourite games, JP will he won't he.

I'd look if I could...

(Must check the result now.)

Kealy must be reading my posts again........ :ninja:

Last year OR 138 was the lowest to get in to the Close Bros. and it's been a very tight H'Cap range of only 6/7 lbs in recent years.
Imperial Aura OR 136 still needs to go up a few lbs to guarantee getting in, which means he'll have to be trying tomorrow.
By that logic, I thought he was potentially still a bet tomorrow too, although 3/1 is a little bit skinny in a competitive race.
Apologies, DH. I'm unable to follow the threads as closely as I'd like.

Kealy arrives at the same conclusion as you re Saturday - thinks he should/needs to win but reckons the price is skinny. He's anticipating a reduction in price for the CB if/when he wins on Saturday.

Fingers crossed for a result.
While he didn't win, Imperial Aura ran well. Looks to have have done the ideal amount to get 4/5 lbs, to get into the close bros. And it's a positive for ante post position with his price cut from 25/1 into 14/1.

However, I'm now not so sure how well H'capd he will be off 142 now. No excuses today, was beaten fair and square. They did pull well clear of the rest. Depends really on how good Simply the Betts turns out to be. His form is solid. He'll be too high for the close bros. though, after today

However, I'm now not so sure how well H'capd he will be off 142 now. No excuses today, was beaten fair and square. They did pull well clear of the rest.

Kim Bailey will almost certainly have left a bit to work on from today and he's very good at targeting the festival handicap chases.

Ok Corral could have attempted to get dropped a lb today and get into the Kim Muir. take the hint, Glenloe is a good thing...

10/1 any race. The 8s and 7s now are as good a bet as you can have right now.

EDIT - SEE NEXT SLIM POST

Last edited:
Glenloe - Kim Muir
Ilikedwayurthinkin -Martin Pipe

47/1 double currently with 365. Probably last time I’ll be going in, my festival will be clinging on them 2 no matter the results anywhere else if I do anymore. Feature prominently in many multiples.

I'd urge some caution. Wait for the entries. Glenloe has no entries next weekend which is a bit worrying.

Im not sure he is quiet good enough as a plot horse for Cheltenham, but Early Doors has had his three runs now and couldnt get close enough to Allaho or any horse of graded potential yesterday. Someday he might.

Im not sure he is quiet good enough as a plot horse for Cheltenham, but Early Doors has had his three runs now and couldnt get close enough to Allaho or any horse of graded potential yesterday. Someday he might.

People getting very carried away yesterday. Yes he wasn't off but he will get a mark no less than 148 and more likely 150 for the festival. There is no race at the festival for him this year. He might be aimed at the Irish National or a longer term project like the Paddy Power 2020.

Ok Corral could have attempted to get dropped a lb today and get into the Kim Muir.

It will be very interesting to see what the handicapper does with OK Corral. I anticipated that it would be trying yesterday (mainly because they'd brought DO'C over) and it did travel like the winner the whole way.

However, I'd been impressed by both Fingerontheswitch and its young jockey last time and was interested to see how it got on following its big rise in the weights.

These two were a long way clear of some decent markers and were probably both a long way better than their marks but I just wonder if their proximity to each other at the end will persuade the handicapper to hold back a bit.

Take either out of the race and the other would probably go up 10lbs so any less than that might be lenient.

I haven't seen Imperial Aura's race yet so can't form an opinion. If I get a chance today, I might check back through what past winners have been raised.

Back