Cheltenham Handicaps

I thought Brendan Powell had been having a relatively quiet few months, I wonder whether there was a bit of protecting his claim for this meeting?

On that note surprised to see Nico De Boinville have a few rides given he is good value for his claim.

I have a little bit of a fancy for Timesawastin for the Evan Williams yard in the Coral Cup.

Horse was fairly consistent until two latest poor runs which need to be forgiven as they were too bad to be true: A decent break and application of blinkers are both good signs.

He was quite a consistent type of horse before that, beat the 3 mile staying hurdler Trustan Times giving a couple of pound away, and hence will probably appreciate a strong pace over 2 miles 5 Furlongs.

He looks 7 pound well in to me and although I've never been convinced by his jockey Moloney he's worth a chance at about 40/1, should be up there with the pace if not actually making the pace itself, and thus should get a nice run for my pennies. :)

The trade-in-running lads might want to take a punt aswell.

Last edited:
Have thrown on 2 handy bets in the Coral Cup ( 5 places with Boyles). Crack Away Jack and Buck Magic. CAJ is moody even on a going day, but still had the ability to get within 5 lengths of Tidal Bay at Wetherby in November ( Smad Place, Cape Tribulation and Fair Along all in behind). Worth a poke at 40/1:ninja:

At the preview on Sat at Sandown they were very strong about Saphir.

I like hendersons Cash and Go in the coral if he gets the trip. looks like hes needed further

Last edited:
I like Ericht for the Coral Cup and got 20s. Disappointing last season but seems to have got things together now. Jumped well in his last race and a few winners come out of it. Finished alongside Cinders and Ashes in 2011 bumper

In the Fred Winter I have taken 2/1 Bordoni who should really be 2 from 3 over hurdles now. Also Totalize 16/1 with the hood back on and who pulled a bit too much when beaten by Ruacana. At a bigger price, Milord appeals ew at 20/1

Agree about Milord. A progressive, rapidly improving young horse, beaten only 4.5 lengths by Chatterbox at Newbury and given a very attractive mark of 126. Can't believe he'll start 20-1.

I also expect a career-best performance from Pendra in the Coral Cup.....will be running over his proper distance for the first time and hopefully won't be disadvantaged this time by having to make the running.

I like Ericht for the Coral Cup and got 20s. Disappointing last season but seems to have got things together now. Jumped well in his last race and a few winners come out of it. Finished alongside Cinders and Ashes in 2011 bumper

Agree strongly with this. Belatedly living up to his early promise and could be on a very decent mark. Hope the jockey's up to it.

I am also a HUGE fan. I'm pretty sure he is on the best mark of all if his jockey is competent. Anyone have any opinions on him?

I would have a big bet if I thought de Boinville was up for example.

Barbatos appeals in the Coral Cup. Has pieces of form last season that suggest he's well handicapped and his one run this season was on bad ground.

I was very impressed with Pendra at Sandown and felt that a longer trip would suit, lack of experience is a worry though but I'll go with him and Abbey Lane.

Ericht has been a little disappointing, but commands plenty of interest with a 10lb claimer up, and off an effective mark of 124 as a result.

I can't see why Pendra should be half the price of Mr Watson. As the handicap suggests, there's nothing in it between the pair, and with Mr Watson having shown a liking for the track, he rates a good each-way bet here at 14/1.

I think there are doubts about both Pendra and Mr Watson getting home. Bit surprised given how freely he races that Mr Watson didn't go County where he might have had a better chance to blaze away in front and hold on.

Master Of The Sea's chance looks to have diminished with the drying ground. Given that I also backed Barbatos last night. Hard to believe it can do any worse than my first handicap bet of the week - Loch Ba - who was basically beaten running to the first.

Ericht has been a little disappointing, but commands plenty of interest with a 10lb claimer up, and off an effective mark of 124 as a result.

I can't see why Pendra should be half the price of Mr Watson. As the handicap suggests, there's nothing in it between the pair, and with Mr Watson having shown a liking for the track, he rates a good each-way bet here at 14/1.

Grassy, I liked him until I read this post race quote from McCoy after his last win:

QUOTES Tony McCoy, rider of Mr Watson:"I was disappointed, as going to the last I thought he was going to win well. I gave him a belt and he´s won four and a half lengths, but if I´d hit him again it would only have been two. He´s obviously got lots of ability and it´s a mental thing, but I was disappointed with his attitude and I´d be wary of smacking him again."

Back