Cheltenham handicaps

Not quite sure how the NH chase made its way onto the handicaps thread but given that it probably doesn't deserve a thread of it's own, it's interesting that Foxrock and Shotgun Paddy would both prefer soft ground - as would Midnight Prayer, who King had said will be aimed at this.

With less rain than originally expected forecast between now and Tuesday it wouldn't surprise me to see a few near the head of the market give it a swerve. Walsh has already sounded a note of caution about Foxrock turning up after his last run, Lavelle pondered and Midnight Prayer has had leg problems plus King was quoted as saying he would have pulled him out of a race a while back were it not for the overnight rain, because of his legs.

Shutthefrontdoor, who was popular for this yesterday but also for the 3 miler :confused:, ran poorly LTO and Jonjo said afterwards he'd have preferred softer ground.

So in summary, I haven't a f**!*ng clue, am on Foxrock @ 13/2 after his last run but no longer confident and having also backed Mendip Express following his Cheltenham win the time before last, I'd love Fry to have a change of heart now the ground is changing - highly unlikely though I'd say given he didn't think he'd have him fully over his bleed from LTO.

Definitely now a race to wait until the times of the earlier races are in IMO.

The Cockney Mackem and Edmund Kean other fancies- I'm giving these away!

I've seen on oddschecker that Edmund Kean has been put up at 9/1 with a couple of firms for the Kim Muir. Available at 20's generally. Exchanges are going 19's and shortening.
I'm on already single e/w and in my multi bets. Get on!

Last edited:
Broadway Buffalo will go very close in the pertemps,straightened a few things out with him,they expect him to go well.

Not a handicap but can anybody tell me why William Hill are 12's about Corrin Wood in the NH Chase? Seems to be well out of line with the other firms.

On the bare form of his Warwick win that looks very big to me.

Last edited:
Here's my life changing handicap each way Lucky 15
Baby Mix @ 20/1 in the 2m4f novice chase. Davy Russell booked and ground going in his favour. Maybe the 4 horse race he won at Kempton In November was better than it looed at the time and he's only up 7lbs since then.
Legacy Gold @ 16/1 if she gets in the Martin Pipe off 133. Placed in the bumper on PP chase day. By the now deceased sire, Gold Well, sire of Holywell and John's Spirit and hopeful she'll improve further on better ground and over further.
And a real long shot, Mr Cracker in the Byrne Plate @50/1. Only had one run for Tim Vaughan which went a bit Pete Tong so not much to go on. Thought he was travelling like the winner in the Jewson's a few years ago but weakened to finish 7th. Last won off a mark like his current one 3 years ago but then missed all of what would have been his second season chasing. Big concern about trainers 0-100+ runners at Cheltenham - is that right ?
Night Alliance @ 40/1 in the Kim Muir. Was progressing well when returning this season since missing the whole of the 2012-13 season. Jumped badly at Kelso in December but that was his 5th run in 8 weeks after a 600 day lay-off. Returned to winning ways and then pulled up in heavy ground at Haydock. Has won on the New Course before and was also leading in another chase there when coming down 4 out. Probably at wrong end of handicap for Kim Muir where recent winners seem to be coming from the top half of the handicap. Tom Weston due to ride and I'm hoping 3m+ on decent ground will see him improve further.
So if all my handicap selections come in along with my festival banker Felix Yonger in the JLT then I'll be able to have my own runners at next year;s festival !

Not a handicap but can anybody tell me why William Hill are 12's about Corrin Wood in the NH Chase? Seems to be well out of line with the other firms.

On the bare form of his Warwick win that looks very big to me.

I paste a copy of all the races from OC every year three weeks before the meeting and then monitor all the movement daily, the one thing I alluded to was how accurate Hills are at predicting which races the multi entries will go for...in conclusion - I am weary about any they go best price for.

I had every intention of looking through the handicaps for Wednesday, Thursday and Friday this morning, but there seem to be a zillion horses still in each race at the 5-day (6-day?) stage.

I think I'll need to leave it to the overnight decs.......or maybe a pin.

Last edited:
Claret Cloak in the Grand Annual if he lines up there. Ground is coming good for him. Would be slightly worried about him getting up the hill though.

Third Intention looks a massive price in his race

Not sure if he's been mentioned already but Time For Rupert is 25/1 for
the 3 miler on Tuesday.

He loves Cheltenham course form reads 12211545

When you consider he was only beaten 9 1/2L in Synchronised Gold Cup
he's now running off 138.

Not sure if he's been mentioned already but Time For Rupert is 25/1 for
the 3 miler on Tuesday.

He loves Cheltenham course form reads 12211545

When you consider he was only beaten 9 1/2L in Synchronised Gold Cup
he's now running off 138.

Yep noted BigRob he ran well leading for most of the way but faded the last furlong . Had an op for a growth since and some time off. Was a good hurdler over 3m . He's on my radar. Nice pick.

He doesn't appear to have any other entries next week eith [unlike so many of the others]. Also [going from memory here] has a jockey booked.

He doesn't appear to have any other entries next week eith [unlike so many of the others]. Also [going from memory here] has a jockey booked.

Dennis O'Regan booked. Still 25/1 available with WH & Bet365. Looks Extremely well handicapped and that Gold Cup was on proper good ground.

Looks a cracking each way bet.

Always liked Time For Rupert since I saw him dual with The Giant Bolster.

The problem for me is, very rarely do these type of handicappers get a second bite at the cherry at The Festival.

E.G..... On a Line through The Giant Bolster, I had Time For Rupert as 10 pound well in for The William Hill Chase when the trainer decided to run the horse in The Gold Cup instead. He'd beaten TGB 2 lengths earlier that season but was rated 7 pound lower than him just three months later by Festival time.

To me it was a no brainer decision, WH Chase, WH Chase, WH Chase!

I still think in the back of my head, that if his connections had run him that year in the WH chase, based on how he performed in the Gold Cup (and what I thought I knew beforehand), he would have absoloutely hacked up...

He has dropped down the weights, but you also have to factor in that he's possibly not the same horse anymore. Happy to see him do it but I wouldn't part with money to find out. I don't want to spoil the party but for me connections missed their chance to win a handicap at this meeting two years ago.

Last edited:
Back