Cheltenham Handicaps

I notice That Nico is not riding beware The Bear on Saturday, most likely he's on O K Corral. Jerry McGraph is out injured, so the ride was available. So Nico must be planning on riding another of the Hendo team in the National itself...

There has to be a fair chance that an agreement was already in place between JP's reps and Hendo that NdB would ride JP's main stable hope in the race since Jerry McGrath is BTB's jockey. No-one else has ridden him since 2017. They might be clinging to the hope that he will be back for the National meeting.

There also has to be a chance that BTB isn't an intended runner on Saturday, especially if the ground dries out. I don't have any money on him for Saturday so it's of no real consequence to me.

I do wonder, though, who might ride the horse assuming JMcG is out beyond Aintree. Hendo doesn't operate a large pool of riders and a lot of the other jockeys he uses will have retainers for other yards. My guess would be James Bowen.

I do wonder, though, who might ride the horse assuming JMcG is out beyond Aintree. Hendo doesn't operate a large pool of riders and a lot of the other jockeys he uses will have retainers for other yards. My guess would be James Bowen.

Just checked. JB is jocked up for Saturday. Probably an intended runner, then.

In the hope that it adds something to people’s analysis, here are the ratings ranges for last season’s Festival handicaps (with bottom-weight-carried defined). It might come in useful if you’re trying to figure-out where the axe might fall in certain races.

Ultima
159 - 133 (10-00) 23 ran

Coral Cup
154 - 138 (10-10) 25 ran

Boodles
140 - 129 (10-13) 22 ran

Pertemps Final
152 - 133 (10-07) 24 ran

Plate
157 - 140 (10-09) 23 ran

County
150- 133 (10-09) 24 ran

Grand Annual
155 - 140 (10-11) 18 ran

Martin Pipe
145 - 136 (11-00) 23 ran

Last edited:
In the hope that it adds something to people’s analysis, here are the ratings ranges for last season’s Festival handicaps (with bottom-weight-carried defined). It might come in useful if you’re trying to figure-out where the axe might fall in certain races.

Ultima
159 - 133 (10-00) 23 ran

Coral Cup
154 - 138 (10-10) 25 ran

Boodles
140 - 129 (10-13) 22 ran

Pertemps Final
152 - 133 (10-07) 24 ran

Plate
157 - 140 (10-09) 23 ran

County
150- 133 (10-09) 24 ran

Grand Annual
155 - 140 (10-11) 18 ran

Martin Pipe
145 - 136 (11-00) 23 ran

The 6lb rise for Wide Receiver is very handy for the MP. Again, if he runs.

Ultima
159 - 133 (10-00) 23 ran

Coral Cup
154 - 138 (10-10) 25 ran

Boodles
140 - 129 (10-13) 22 ran

Pertemps Final
152 - 133 (10-07) 24 ran

Plate
157 - 140 (10-09) 23 ran

County
150- 133 (10-09) 24 ran

Grand Annual
155 - 140 (10-11) 18 ran

Martin Pipe
145 - 136 (11-00) 23 ran

Eskylane is wasting it's time going for anything but the Martin Pipe isn't it?

Last edited:
Eskylane I'd wasting it's time going for anything but the Martin Pipe isn't it?

Took 25s when you posted him in here. Between that and Wide Receiver one would hope I’d have the winner. Gordon could genuinely have cleaned up a lot of the handicaps this year.

On a wee tangent, Siruh Du Lac, who unseated at the first in the Paddy Power Gold Cup, but was supposed to run in the caspian cavier, (but wasn't entered), still has no entries, at either cheltenham or anywhere else.

Last edited:
I've given up on Eamon An Cnoic making the cut for the Grand Annual. Apart from that, glad all my handicap bets are within the right range of making the cut, apart from Barnaviddaun, who is unlikely according to people on here.

Overall still satisfied so far though.

According to Ben Linfoot at the sporting life, the cut off will be about '135' for this Coral Cup this season. This gives me hope.

https://www.sportinglife.com/racing/news/getting-in-and-getting-on/189755

Last edited:
Have spent that last 2-3 days throwing myself at the 109 entries for the Coral Cup, and have ended-up backing 4, plus another 2 in the Any Race markets, for sickness insurance.

(50.0) Palmers Hill: The first of my two JP arrows at this.Will be (possibly very) marginal on making the cut at Number 70 on the card.
(40.0) Botox Has: Boasts really solid track form (two wins, 1 place from three runs), and at 28 on the card, is practically guaranteed to get a run. Has Pipe entry, but would be amongst top-weights there.
(20.1) Craigneiche: Lightly-raced and unexposed improver. Not convinced a rise to 139 will stop him. Number 47 on the card, but should get in. Any Race cover at 12/1 in case he goes to Pipe race.
(40.1) Blue Sari: Hanging my hat on one piece of form over 2m4f against The Bosses Oscar two years ago, and hoping the poor runs over 2m were on purpose, and if Palmers doesn't get in, this is JPs plot horse. Number 55 on card, so chancy for a run.

The 'Any Race' cover is on Mill Green and Does He Know, both of whom have the Pipe entry (latter also has Ballymore, but he's not up to winning that, I don't reckon).

Thankfully, I'm now fu*cking skint after backing all these, so don't need to waste time looking at the rest of the handicaps.

Last edited:
I just done a Noted in Running post about Adjali (who ran quite well in a novice chase which was his second run after wind surgery) and I was surprised to find that he is entered in both Coral and County handicaps. What’s a cookin’ I thought:).

Ps: oh,and the Martin Pipe!

Last edited:
Given the 100K bonus on offer for winning the Morebattle and any race at Cheltenham there could be some juice in the Skybet specials...

The Shunter 33/1 to win the Morebattle and any race
Solo 85/1. You can get 100/1 if you go for the County as opposed to any race

Given the 100K bonus on offer for winning the Morebattle and any race at Cheltenham there could be some juice in the Skybet specials...

The Shunter 33/1 to win the Morebattle and any race
Solo 85/1. You can get 100/1 if you go for the County as opposed to any race

I've already sooked some of that juice :)

I didnt know that.thanks for the heads up.

NIGHT EDITION 250/1 for kelso/m.pipe

Last edited:
Hmm, wasn't there when I looked last night or after you posted, Outsider.

Could you maybe put up a link, please?

TIA.

Hmm, wasn't there when I looked last night or after you posted, Outsider.

Could you maybe put up a link, please?

TIA.

It comes under "this weeks racing and cheltenham" bottom of the list.
I dont know how to do links.
I looked again after you asked and it was still there.

Back