Cheltenham Handicaps

Thanks, DG.

I've had a bite although it has me wondering why they're not offering odds for the County double. Could it be that they know he's going for the County rather than the Martin Pipe?

Anyway, that's something I can worry about after the Moorebattle as it might leave me in a nice position to take a profit.

Mullins suggesting that Bachasson (amongst the market leaders for the Coral Cup in places), will likely not travel to Cheltenham.

That Moorebattle looks very strong with the three plot horses and the big improver (Faivoir) dominating.

There's a chance The Shunter will go up more than his 5lbs penalty and might struggle in a hurdles race but I assume he'll escape a penalty for a chase and that might be the route for him.

But he had a hard race there in beating a proper Pipe job.

Solo looked good for a long way but again finished weakly. Maybe he needed it more. Maybe the Imperial Cup will come on the agenda.

I've done my first trawl of the Ultima weights and I have to say the current market surprises me.

Two or three UK horses at the head of the betting ahead of some obvious Irish plots? Seriously?

I hope to finish the race this evening but I'm anticipating a dominant outcome for Ireland. I have my eye on one not towards the head of the betting but I'm going to hold off in case the bookies are in a generous mood on Tuesday morning.

No doubt I'll end up backing several, though!

I've done my first trawl of the Ultima weights and I have to say the current market surprises me.

Two or three UK horses at the head of the betting ahead of some obvious Irish plots? Seriously?

I hope to finish the race this evening but I'm anticipating a dominant outcome for Ireland. I have my eye on one not towards the head of the betting but I'm going to hold off in case the bookies are in a generous mood on Tuesday morning.

No doubt I'll end up backing several, though!

I await with interest.

My favourite race of the week: probably because I always used to go on the Tuesday and some old favourites have won it.

It's one of my favourite races because I've got a good record in it! :lol:

Edit - maybe I should double check my figures. I've just noticed how rare Irish successes are in the race! Dun Doire in 2006 was their last winner and they were very few and far between over the 40 previous years :blink:

Last edited:
Given that I’ve mentioned old favourites I’ve got to back dear old Nietzsche. He’s won on the old course albeit in a hurdle. Backed One for the Team earlier today. Being there when Chief Dan George winning is one of the highlights of my racing life. I’d followed him for ages.

From my initial look this evening I shortlisted one for the team as well and obviously therefore Aye Right too!
Shortlist of 9 so will dive deeper Sunday!

You keen?

I might back him nearer the time, by Friday my other bets will have settled.

Back