Cheltenham Handicaps

I hope Flaggers horse makes the cut in the Pertemps. I've been through the pertemps just now. I feel the one directly above Perfect Man in the weights, Come On Teddy, is the one I'm drawn to.

I've updated my blog entry with this in mind.

Last edited:
I keep going back to Storm Control in the Ultima. He’s won on the old course. Can’t not back him.

Last edited:
Looks like they're pulling heavy ground dependant horses!

I suspect it is because they are waiting for Fairyhouse where the prize money is a lot better

They've pulled Coko Beach,Conflated and Column Of Fire as well.

Last edited:
I've called this completely wrong. You are right, it goes for the Plate.

I have The Shunter potentially chucked in over fences. The big question is how much the the Kelso race took out of him. As I said at the time, with him, Night Edition and Solo potentially chasing the bonus it was never going to be a doddle round.

I have The Shunter potentially chucked in over fences. The big question is how much the the Kelso race took out of him. As I said at the time, with him, Night Edition and Solo potentially chasing the bonus it was never going to be a doddle round.

I can't help thinking he wouldn't run if there wasn't a bonus on offer.

I've got 28/1 THE SHUNTER winning the morebattle/any race at Cheltenham so I dont mind what race he runs in but thought the chase would be the one with no penalty.

He's 140 chase so the penalty actually helps him more over hurdles

Maybe in terms of making a cut but he escapes a penalty over fences and his big recent improvement over hurdles, if it can translate back over fences, would have him seriously well handicapped.

I imagine it will have got connections thinking very seriously about where to go with him. But I also still worry about what Kelso might have taken out of him.

Maybe in terms of making a cut but he escapes a penalty over fences and his big recent improvement over hurdles, if it can translate back over fences, would have him seriously well handicapped.

I imagine it will have got connections thinking very seriously about where to go with him. But I also still worry about what Kelso might have taken out of him.

Well I'd imagine they'd have liked to win a Galway Plate so the Coral Cup was perfect.

Well I'd imagine they'd have liked to win a Galway Plate so the Coral Cup was perfect.

That's exactly the race I was thinking of. I'm not sure exactly how the Irish handicapper operates but The Shunter might be not unlike The Jam Man who was a smart hurdler but got into a big hcap chase off a stupidly low mark.

His jumping of fences will slightly negate his enjoyment of the ground is my slight worry.

I’m on that 28/1 any race but think he’s better suited to a strongly run, stiff 2m hurdle race so while I believe he can still win a chase off that mark, it wasn’t the race I was hoping for. On the flip side is the Coral Cup has been dominated by higher rated horses in recent years and the County is usually as tough as they come so the Plate would be relatively easy pickings.

He's unexposed over 2m 4f over hurdles so that's why the Coral Cup looked the ideal race. Getting in 'well in' at the bottom of the weights was just so perfect. Just a shame the Kelso race took a lot out of him. I think he'd have been there at the last.

Last edited:
I hope Flaggers horse makes the cut in the Pertemps. I've been through the pertemps just now. I feel the one directly above Perfect Man in the weights, Come On Teddy, is the one I'm drawn to.

I've updated my blog entry with this in mind.

Thanks Marb.... He is in which is amazing, some feeling. We’ve booked Oakley Brown claiming 7lbs which we are really chuffed about. We are considering taking the cheekpieces off and putting a visor on. Anyone’s thoughts are welcome!

Thanks Marb.... He is in which is amazing, some feeling. We’ve booked Oakley Brown claiming 7lbs which we are really chuffed about. We are considering taking the cheekpieces off and putting a visor on. Anyone’s thoughts are welcome!

Oakley Brown. You Sir are a ******* judge...

I'll get you advice on this and DM you.

You'd be mad not to use him. He'll be under no pressure on your horse and you'll get the full value of his claim. He has to be worth a few finishing positions.

Ha - Perfect partner then WilsonL!

Absolutely! In my opinion he’d be value at 3/5! I really rate him. And as you say, no pressure! Just happy with a runner and a place or plus is a bonus... But had to have a go...
f1737b30beaee948e6ab3a4faae5969f.jpg

Back