Chester May Meeting

2 bad rides today, yesterday not so sure

Murtagh is miles ahead of Spencer, I think he is one of the best jockeys I have seen.

After backing Drumbeat at a skinny price I was feeling annoyed with myself (and Murtagh, whether Drumbeat should have won or not). That all changed after I had seen Stargaze romp home as the first leg of a 100/30 against double (with Paddy Power) going on to odds-on shot Frozen Fire!

I was rubbing my hands with delight as the non-runners continued. He had two others to beat… start queuing up… of course I should have known they’d only start racing at the two-furlong pole in a 13 furlong contest…. aaaarrrrgggghhhhh!!!

Quite fancy Doctor Parkes for local trainer Eric Alston in the sprint handicap - he's had plenty of good ones over the years and doesn't often step one up this much in grade after a Catterick auction maiden, should go well at 7/1+ from the plum draw :)

Well done

but with three horses one always knew something like this was going to happen. odd did suggest that FF would not win anyway, and guess such a race would never have suited no matter how it would have been run - as murtagh said, is not a horse to make the running, so really was catch22 yet again, the way he dropeed right out did suggest he did not like the ground either, i would say.

I think the Jarvis filly is much too short at evens in the next from stall 12. Richard Hills is hardly the king of coming from behind either. Lots of well bred fillies run.

but with three horses one always knew something like this was going to happen. odd did suggest that FF would not win anyway, and guess such a race would never have suited no matter how it would have been run - as murtagh said, is not a horse to make the running, so really was catch22 yet again, the way he dropeed right out did suggest he did not like the ground either, i would say.

Is it acceptable for a jockey of Murtagh's standing to run a race like that, playing into his opponents hands on an odds-on shot?

You imply the jockey could not make a difference to the outcome with different tactics. That may be so. But not to try is unforgivable.

I’m starting to wonder exactly how good Rock of Gibraltar and Hawk Wing were to finish first and second with the Murtagh/Spencer pair of clowns up.

Last edited:
Disgraceful ride (i backed Debussy who wasn't good enough).

I think Murtagh eradicated some of the shocking rides from his repetoire last season, but this was a throwback to some shocking rides a few years back.

My thoughts exactly - but he's been riding like a complete eedjit this whole season in my opinion. I've never rated him that highly as he's lost me so much money by getting into pockets, and blocked when there was no need, but this season he's been like a headless chicken, after doing so well last year, in spite of the odd good ride.

Admittedly with AO'B it's probably necessary to ride to instructions no matter what - but that was disgraceful (not to mention the trainers should have forseen it) and imo both seniors should get bans for that. Full marks to Will B for taking the initiative, junior though he was, and going against instructions too.

Last edited:
I think the Jarvis filly is much too short at evens in the next from stall 12. Richard Hills is hardly the king of coming from behind either. Lots of well bred fillies run.

It's near on impossible to come from behind at Chester anyway... seems this pearl of wisdom is lost on a few riding this week!

My thoughts exactly - but he's been riding like a complete eedjit this whole season in my opinion. I've never rated him that highly as he's lost me so much money by getting into pockets, and blocked when there was no need, but this season he's been like a headless chicken, after doing so well last year, in spite of the odd good ride.

Admittedly with AO'B it's probably necessary to ride to instructions no matter what - but that was disgraceful (not to mention the trainers should have forseen it) and imo both seniors should get bans for that. Full marks to Will B for taking the initiative junior though he was a going against instructions too.

Johnny used to be inspired. I fear the drink could be taking its toll. You need the discipline of a Piggott or a Kinane or even a Carson to stay at the top in this game.

Admittedly with AO'B it's probably necessary to ride to instructions no matter what - but that was disgraceful (not to mention the trainers should have forseen it) and imo both seniors should get bans for that. Full marks to Will B for taking the initiative junior though he was a going against instructions too.

Apart from a couple of dodgy rides on a greyhound track like Chester, who is else has he messed up on to suggest he is riding like a headless chicken. I think you were the same person who questioned Coolmore picking him as he couldnt handle pressure....he then went and rode 187 Group 1 winners last season. Top class jockey.

Apart from a couple of dodgy rides on a greyhound track like Chester, who is else has he messed up on to suggest he is riding like a headless chicken. I think you were the same person who questioned Coolmore picking him as he couldnt handle pressure....he then went and rode 187 Group 1 winners last season. Top class jockey.

He was top class at his best. You have to agree with Headstrong that he's riding with his head up his backside at the moment. Losing on Drumbeat today for instance was very poor. Almost any other jockey senior or otherwise would have won with him.

Walking round the track on FF - an odds-on shot (to instructions or otherwise) - was just plain daft.

Last edited:
It's near on impossible to come from behind at Chester anyway... seems this pearl of wisdom is lost on a few riding this week!

Actually quite a good ride (i can't remember saying this before) from Richard Hills, getting the filly out and away smartly, settled in mid division, and it was apparent from a way out she would have the rest's measure.

He was shite in Dubai this year, couldn't ride the track for the life of him.

At least he had the decency to bat the criticism of his rides off and try and defend them to Cattermole today, Fallon would have just told them to feck off.

I don't think Chester is a greyhound track, and I think criticism of it (as i've seen on other forums) is a little unfair.

The variation in tracks in the UK make it the best country for racing worldwide.

Murtagh has had a shocking Chester festival, and got caught out with Black Bear Island in France.

I think it's a cyclical thing; everyone has periods where they ride worse than usual, and i'm sure by the time of the Derby/Oaks, he'll have his confidence back and head screwed on.

I don't think Chester is a greyhound track, and I think criticism of it (as i've seen on other forums) is a little unfair.

The variation in tracks in the UK make it the best country for racing worldwide.

Murtagh has had a shocking Chester festival, and got caught out with Black Bear Island in France.

I think it's a cyclical thing; everyone has periods where they ride worse than usual, and i'm sure by the time of the Derby/Oaks, he'll have his confidence back and head screwed on.

He was brilliant on Perfect Truth and to be honest getting beat in trial races means nothing when horses are far from wound up or are being really put through the ringer with bigger targets ahead.

I like Chester, alot, but impossible and unfair to judge a jockey on it based on a couple of rides on quirky Montjeu's.

everyone has periods where they ride worse than usual, and i'm sure by the time of the Derby... he'll have his confidence back and head screwed on.

Let's hope so. He's likely to be on a very good thing in that.

Last edited:
...unfair to judge a jockey on it based on a couple of rides on quirky Montjeu's.

That's just lazy Gal... It's based on much more than today and Drumbeat at least is as honest as you like (irrespective of his absolute ability). The colt wanted to win for a dopey jock.

That's just lazy Gal... It's based on much more than today and Drumbeat at least is as honest as you like (irrespective of his absolute ability). The colt wanted to win for a dopey jock.

Drumbeat needs to be held up and he is not an easy ride. For anyone to say is not at the very least "quirky" has not seen his runs last year.

And I said it before the race today as well...not just after so hardly basing it on today's performance.

Last edited:

His riding was exceptionally good last year and I said so at the time. He seemed to have ironed out his problems and stopped getting blocked in - maybe very detailed riding instructions helped?

But I've seen several very poor rides this year from him, as well as the two this week at Chester, and plenty in the past - plently, too many to mention, though there are a few burned into my brain (inc a couple on Soviet Song and one famous balls-up on Lividya at the Curragh).

The poor rides this season have tended to be when no Ballydoyle top bods are in attendence, but I'm not sure if that is significant - it may be, in the sense he gets left more to his own devices. In my own opinion, OVERALL, he makes too many mistakes in race-riding and judgement of pace to be considered top class (ie in the same bracket as Piggott or Fallon)

PS I did back him on Black Bear Island, and that's one of my current gripes! Admittedly the horse wasn;t wound up, but it was a poor ride. I've not backed him on anything since, and won't til he gets his form back, in spite of the one good ride at Chester!

Last edited:
Drumbeat needs to be held up and he is not an easy ride. For anyone to say is not at the very least "quirky" has not seen his runs last year.

And I said it before the race today as well...not just after so hardly basing it on today's performance.

Because a horse might want holding up it doesn't make it "quirky". Drumbeat couldn't be more honest. Some Montjeu's are certainly quirky but to tar them all with the same brush is right out of order.

You couldn't wish for a much more honest colt than Drumbeat.

Back