Coral Eclipse

Bar has taken up his position & the rest are circling his camp ...

Which cavalry will ride up, the Oz hero or the old guard?

Will Bar live to tell the tale? Will hearts wilt down under?

Tune in next Saturday folks for the thrilling climax!

the key here is that I think if SYT runs the same to Ascot , he will be good enough to win here.

If he runs like he did at Ascot he may well be third. He'll need to improve and then improve again in order to "smash them up". Exposed horses like SYT tend not to improve too much.

Workforce on the other hand has loads of improvement in him and is already the better horse.

Last edited:
Steve
are you ok?

I can only repeat that I would rather be on a Derby/Arc winner and an Oaks/HK Cup winner at 2/1 and 8/1 than an odds on shot who was placed in the Melbourne Cup and beaten by Rewilding at Ascot.

Anyone putting their life savings on SYT is likely to be very un-ok.

Last edited:
What is it about the ascot DEFEAT that has so impressed everyone?

It didn't impress me over much. It was a good performance in the 120s. I thought Rewilding had a chance of beating him and he did.

I think Workforce has a much stronger chance of beating him. And of course Snow Fairy is no mug and open to more improvement than the very exposed Australian horse.

Steve

The Melbourne cup is a hcp

like the Hennessy, the fact a horse is beaten doesnt mean it was a bad performance, he was carrying a big weight after some recent runs in a softer ground than ideal and in longer distance than he needs

Snow Fairy is an absolute non hoper for me and SYT put a 130 in Royal Ascot in my figures,
SYT at long odds on is a non bet for met but at 5/6 or evens looks an easy bet.

Claiming a reverse forecast bet with Workforce/Snow would make for some top class after timing tomorrow.

Not often do horses beaten in 2 mile handicaps drop back to win 10f group ones in my experience

As far as I can tell, the one doubtful element is, did Coolmore buy a 'finished article' ... or can AOB get an improvement out of him?

Has anyone put up any speed/time figures to illuminate the area ... currently getting a bit hard to see ... can't tell where the smoke is coming from ... might be Bar's camp fire, might be cordite ....

I've put my money down, anyway.

Last edited:
Steve

The Melbourne cup is a hcp

like the Hennessy, the fact a horse is beaten doesnt mean it was a bad performance, he was carrying a big weight after some recent runs in a softer ground than ideal and in longer distance than he needs

Snow Fairy is an absolute non hoper for me and SYT put a 130 in Royal Ascot in my figures,
SYT at long odds on is a non bet for met but at 5/6 or evens looks an easy bet.

SYT wasn't giving much weight to those that beat him. It was hardly an Arc winning performance.

With regard to Snow Fairy (and I'm sorry to bring this up), but didn't you also say that Rewilding was a no-hoper before Ascot. Make no mistake the HK Cup is a better race than SYT has run in.

Regarding the ‘wonder gallop”, it would not have been over 10f, so would not have shown whether he was ready for a very fast run 10f race. His previous two races were slowly run races, despite the ground being good (2.5 secs slower than standard) and good to firm (8 secs slower than standard). His Australian races were probably run similarly. The POW was his first 10f race run at breakneck speed, where he raced keenly for the first 2f, hit the front too soon, was just outlasted by a confirmed stayer, and was 2 secs faster than standard on ground that was at best good.
SYT is a big gross horse, probably difficult to keep fit, used to racing frequently and needing to race frequently to be fit. I would say that AOB has been half-afraid of him, treating him with kid gloves, afraid of messing him up. And while the horse was doing it easily, he let him be. He hasn’t had a stayer from down-under before, he’s only had him for a relatively short time and he’s just getting to know how to handle him. But I do believe that they think he is very very good, they wouldn’t be turning him out again so quickly for the POW if they didn’t. You can analyse his Australian form to death, but as somebody else said previously, it comes down to whether you believe AOB or not :)

Analysing the australian form is a bit pointless from my cursory look so far. But its what his reputation is based on

Very little races there from outside Croydoninthesun and tehre is little sign of any of SYT's victims travelling and taking the form anywhere. I wonder why that is......

Bart Simpsom doesnt want any raiders from overeseas in their races....why i wonder?

The form is in a bubble. It could well be completely useless

I would say that AOB has been half-afraid of him, treating him with kid gloves

The excuses get better...

SYT is like Merv Hughes with a hangover.

AOB didnt train him cos SYT was liable to kick him in the bollocks

Last edited:
Back