Coral Eclipse

Regarding the ‘wonder gallop”, it would not have been over 10f, so would not have shown whether he was ready for a very fast run 10f race. His previous two races were slowly run races, despite the ground being good (2.5 secs slower than standard) and good to firm (8 secs slower than standard). His Australian races were probably run similarly. The POW was his first 10f race run at breakneck speed, where he raced keenly for the first 2f, hit the front too soon, was just outlasted by a confirmed stayer, and was 2 secs faster than standard on ground that was at best good.
SYT is a big gross horse, probably difficult to keep fit, used to racing frequently and needing to race frequently to be fit. I would say that AOB has been half-afraid of him, treating him with kid gloves, afraid of messing him up. And while the horse was doing it easily, he let him be. He hasn’t had a stayer from down-under before, he’s only had him for a relatively short time and he’s just getting to know how to handle him. But I do believe that they think he is very very good, they wouldn’t be turning him out again so quickly for the POW if they didn’t. You can analyse his Australian form to death, but as somebody else said previously, it comes down to whether you believe AOB or not :)

I've rarely read a post like this for bias!

I presume a 'stayer' type horse from down under is just the same as one from here?

And, as regards him not galloping him over 10f, well, how would he ever know he had any horse fit with that rationale?!!

He is a big gross horse - and, as it was his third run of the season, he was clearly fit.

And, surely the fact the PoW was run at a breakneck speed would help him settle, not have an adverse affect??

Last edited:
If Sea The Stars was running instead of SYT..what price would he be?

I doubt even he would be much shorter than SYT..and we know for a fact that STS was a top notcher..at least 8lb+ better than SYT on all known form.

I won't be having a bet in this race because I only rarely back odds on, and certainly not against a field of this quality, but I would like to see So You Think win to silence the silly jeering on this thread.

Australian racing is good quality, prize money is excellent and bloodlines have improved a lot. Their horses are different to ours and they are trained differently, so it is quite possible that AOB is still getting to know his new charge. He is also hoping, no doubt to keep him going throughout the season, and so will only be giving him as little work as he thinks he can get away with.

By the way, Aus trainers think nothing of running high class horses over a variety of distances, including the 2m of the Melbourne Cup. It is not the Cesarewitch.

the only way we would know how australian racing compares with anywhere else is through form lines. Nothing else will do

Where are the middle distance Aus formlines? No one seems to have them to hand

They are there with the sprinters but thats it. Given that they have relished coming to Ascot with the 5f horses, the connections of the "good quality" milers and upwards seem strangely reluctant to make the same trip

Statements that this division of racing in Aus is "good quality" is pure guesswork (and wishful thinking) and nothing else

I believe that SYT will get beat but certainly hopes he does. I think the "silly jeering" kicked off with the moron aussie trainer

Last edited:
the only way we would know how australian racing compares with anywhere else is through form lines. Nothing else will do

So why do you assume it's weak? Remember, the prize money at Royal Ascot is not attractive compared with what they can race for at home.

So why do you assume it's weak?

Its you that is making the statement thats its "good quality". I am saying that to back this horse at odds on you have got to believe that the aussie form is strong (the Uk form simply falls well short of Workforces) Strong against a bunch of horses that seemingly never leave the country

The prize money is not an issue. Is the sprinting prize money that much better at ascot the australia? If any australian thought he could win at Ascot, they would do so regardless of the money. And surely a grp one win at ascot is rather better for stud fees than one at Alice Springs or wherever??

BTB. The prices would have to be reversed..at least

Elvstroem. Glad you brought that one up BTB. He was so sucessful i had practically forgotten about him

0/4 in europe and hammered by Rakti in the lockinge

But was their champion of course

Either way, its the present bunch of SYT victims that counts...and again...no one has given us a formline

Last edited:
And surely a grp one win at ascot is rather better for stud fees than one at Alice Springs or wherever??

I wouldn't take that for granted. The fact So You Think's owners are not Australian is probably significant. Mr Cummings-Simpson and his ilk wouldn't see any need to go abroad.

I'm off shortly. Enjoy the race everyone... after all's said and done it should be worth watching.

A small field, but four of them have some sort of chance, especially if it's tactical. Best horse Workforce, but let's see how it shakes out.

Whatever you do be lucky and DON'T go odds-on on this occasion. It could take a 130+ performance to win this and SYT has never achieved that and there's no evidence to suggest that he's about to start now.

Clive, are you saying you would back So You Think @ 7/4?

Probably not (although im not that driven by price and betting). If prices were reveresed i would probably just watch the race.

Workforce now shortening on Betfair. Take the 7/4 with the firms, it won't be there by the end of the day.

The market is readjusting to be correct.

I have given this race a fair amount of thought during the week and the end result was that I just had to lay SYT at 1.83-he might win but in my opinion he should be odds against.

Back