Curragh Weekend

Yeah its as bad as the Epson one was. Workforce wins well and all of a sudden he is a superstar. Lets not forget the form at Epson has already takdn a hammering so the winner of the Irish Derby could be a good one ton.

Not Curragh related but does anyone know if Elyaadi will be coming over for the Northumberland Plate? Looks among the pick of the weights off the same mark as at Ascot.

VC and Hills have cut her for the race today DJ so looks promising - agree she's definitely the pick at the weights, will Fran Berry be required at The Curragh on Saturday? (please say "yes" someone).

Is the Railway a bad race a bad race because O Brien does not have a well touted hotpot?

Deauville Flyer wold just about be my first choice but I suspect he won't get in. That's why I was trying to be clever and back Elyaadi at double figures when she may well go off fav. I wouldn't back Junior off levels to uphold the form over 4f less without an uncontested lead, never mind with his 5 lb penalty.

Yes trackside, I love it when the two year old maidens come about at this time of year and the weekends action looks very interesting.

Meanwhile for the Derby..

Sky Bet have installed Jan Vermeer as the 2/1 market leader for Sunday's Dubai Duty Free Irish Derby at the Curragh.
Aidan O'Brien's charge was a beaten favourite in the Investec Derby at Epsom and spearheads a strong challenge from the master of Ballydoyle.
His other leading players include Cape Blanco (9/2), Midas Touch (5/1) and At First Sight (14/1).
Monterroso has been supplemented by connections and Mark Johnston's King Edward VII stakes hero is second favourite at 7/2.
Other leading fancies include Godolphin's Chabal (10/1) and Michael Bell's Coordinated Cut (10/1).

The Irish Derby has been going through a wobbly period since the French reorganised their pattern. The pact made by the French authorities with the leading owners and trainers was that the better French 3yo horses would all stay at home until after the Arc.

The appeal of the Curragh race used to be that it brought together form from Epsom and Chantilly and was the deciding rubber. But if there is no question of the French participating then why should the Epsom winner turn up either?

I think the only solution to rescue the race is to greatly increase its value as soon as finances allow.

Interesting article in that vein Grey in the Post today by Donn Maclean.

I agree with what you say, but what is maybe confusing things is generally speaking, really good horses have won the Irish Derby in the past 10 years - Galileo, Sinndar, High Chaparal, Dylan T, Hurricane Run, Alamshar, Fame and Glory - but those in behind haven't generally been up to much.

Is the pattern commitee European? If so, I don't see how they allowed the GP de Paris/Jockey Club distance switches as this was always going to affect the Irish Derby, and also the King George.

Is there ever a thread of this place that is not doom and gloom. You boys are starting to bore me to tears. Take my point oo board, the Epson Derby was garbage this year as it has been for the last 5 or six.

Is there ever a thread of this place that is not doom and gloom. You boys are starting to bore me to tears. Take my point oo board, the Epson Derby was garbage this year as it has been for the last 5 or six.

Agreed, bar the Derby winner there are not many other horses capable of running the race that are not.

Irish trained Epsom winners will continue to turn up at the Curragh out of loyalty but in recent years the English trained winners have gone elsewhere, and there hasn't been even a sniff of a French runner.

That said, the Epsom race is too early in the season and the few extra weeks often make a big difference to a horse (remember St Jovite), so we might see a colt emerge this weekend good enough to take on and beat Workforce and the French horses when they meet later.

The Irish Derby has no entitlement to nothing. It remains a fantastic weekemd and I cant wait for it.

Back