Curragh Weekend

Really?

The forecast I looked at seemed dry until Sunday...

Tomorrow

Tomorrow, Wednesday will be mostly cloudy with more persistent rain and drizzle spreading from the west as the day goes on. However, parts of the east will have a mostly dry morning. It will be mild with highest temperatures of 16 to 21 degrees.

Outlook

Thursday : Most areas dry, with sunny intervals developing, but there is still the possibility of a few scattered showers. Temperatures around normal, with maximum values in the high teens to low 20s. Winds light, southwesterly or variable in direction. Friday, Saturday & Sunday : Mainly dry, settled weather will continue, with sunshine, but there is a possibility of some heavy, thundery showers breaking out. Becoming very warm, with temperatures in the mid 20s in many inland areas and possibly up to the high 20s in places over the weekend. Winds will be very light and variable, with daytime sea breezes near coasts, keeping temperatures a little lower. A few mist or fog patches may form at night.

Is there ever a thread of this place that is not doom and gloom. You boys are starting to bore me to tears. Take my point oo board, the Epson Derby was garbage this year as it has been for the last 5 or six.

Not doom and gloom, I absolutely love this weekend at the Curragh and I'll be there to enjoy it. I just get nervous when I hear Bell declare that they are putting as much water on as possible. With rain forecast. What is wrong with good to firm ground? We've had this race run in a bog in some recent years and yet last year they water, it rains, and they lose Sea The Stars.

Irish trained Epsom winners will continue to turn up at the Curragh out of loyalty but in recent years the English trained winners have gone elsewhere, and there hasn't been even a sniff of a French runner.

The last time they had French runners (including the 3rd in the Jockey Club) was 2007. They were unlucky to lose New Approach on the eve of the race in 2008 (and he surely would have waltzed in. Frozen Fire won that one) and had only themselves to blame for losing the Star last year. P.S. before anyone asks, I am not Ger Lyons.

Last edited:
The 2009 Derby was far from garbage - the 2009 Irish Derby was total garbage hence Fame and Glory spent the rest of the year being enormously overrated by some.

The 2009 Derby was far from garbage - the 2009 Irish Derby was total garbage hence Fame and Glory spent the rest of the year being enormously overrated by some.

The Irish Derby featured the second, third, and fifth from Epsom finishing first, second and fourth. Forgive me to think both were of similar merit and with the obvious exception of Sea The Stars there was not that much of a noticeable difference.

Forecast today has been a bit more settled....on the Curragh every day. No rain yet but it is much more overcast today.

Not the Curragh, but Desert Romance looks to have very solid form claims in the 7.30 at Naas tonight on the basis of both her Killarney and Wexford (unlucky loser) runs. Very disappointing at Leopardstown (though they have gone off too quickly that day) and if he can be forgiven that run, 17/2 looks a very big price to me from a decent draw in a race in which the other market principles all look hold-up horses.

Not the Curragh, but Desert Romance looks to have very solid form claims in the 7.30 at Naas tonight on the basis of both her Killarney and Wexford (unlucky loser) runs. Very disappointing at Leopardstown (though they have gone off too quickly that day) and if he can be forgiven that run, 17/2 looks a very big price to me from a decent draw in a race in which the other market principles all look hold-up horses.

Well done and thanks for sharing. I got myself out of a right hole.

[FONT=r_ansi]Chinese White [/FONT]
[FONT=r_ansi]Flying Cloud [/FONT]
[FONT=r_ansi]Rose Hip [/FONT]
[FONT=r_ansi]Saphira's Fire [/FONT]
[FONT=r_ansi]Akdarena (GB) [/FONT]
[FONT=r_ansi]Crystal Gal [/FONT]
[FONT=r_ansi]Kinky Afro [/FONT]
[FONT=r_ansi]Lolly For Dolly [/FONT]
[FONT=r_ansi]Remember When [/FONT]

Is it possible that Jan Vermeer doesn't quite get the 1m4f and is being saved for the Coral Eclipse? His pedigree suggests that he might be more of a 1m2f horse. After all, he was originally targeted at the Prix du Jockey Club.

Anyone seen any Pretty Polly prices? Is there a chance Remember When could be put in silly short? To answer my own question. Paddy Power go 5/2. Fair enough that.

Last edited:
Hopefully.

Awful renewal compared with some recent years.

Would love fast ground for Flying Cloud.

Interesting stakes race tomorrow with Moonlit Garden, Looking Lovely, Galloping Queen, Seeharn, Purple Glow etc all taking part.

Back