Curragh Weekend

I've been away all afternoon watching the football and I thought i'd visit this thread to find the result. Jesus Christ.

I think on a stunning hot day and with the World Cup on - there is a small chance you were not the only one away from the PC this afternoon Euro.

Winner does it well enough and has the right attitude but will need to improve to figure in a King George or Arc. Midas Touch looks an ideal Leger type while Jan Vermeer got the 12 furlongs today but looks as though 10 furlongs would better suit him.

If you say a horse will prove best at shorter, it's hard to argue he stays? Agree with you though, he'll be better around 10f.

If you say a horse will prove best at shorter, it's hard to argue he stays? Agree with you though, he'll be better around 10f.

yes seemed a bit odd that..if JV stayed would have won would have thought..i dismissed him on his epsom run..he lost ground in the last 2 there..pointing to being a non stayer..at this level like..they all stay 5 miles of course:)

I think the horse is best ridden aggressively - he cannot do that over 12 furlongs as he wouldn't get home. He stayed the trip well today but the tactics used to make sure he got the trip do not show him in the best of light.

I expect if he drops back to 10 furlongs he will bowl along in front or just off the pace.

I'd like to have seen a head on. O'Donoghue changed hands three times. I wonder if he just let him drift into the rails as he was originally doing, would that have brought a different result. Much as he was battling on the changes in direction had to cost some momentum.

I think he thought he might have been cutting off a srong finishing Jan Vermeer, which wouldn't have gone down well with the boss had Monterosso won.

Last edited:
I think the horse is best ridden aggressively - he cannot do that over 12 furlongs as he wouldn't get home. He stayed the trip well today but the tactics used to make sure he got the trip do not show him in the best of light.

I expect if he drops back to 10 furlongs he will bowl along in front or just off the pace.

you contradicting your self Gal:)..you say he can't be ridden aggresively over 12..but reason for that is..he don't stay

he isn't a 12f horse..he may well be a 10f horse..he had two goes now at 12..not gaining in last 2f in both.

you contradicting your self Gal:)..you say he can't be ridden aggresively over 12..but reason for that is..he don't stay

he isn't a 12f horse..he may well be a 10f horse..he had two goes now at 12..not gaining in last 2f in both.

I am not contradicting myself.

Proof that Cape Blanco should have gone to Epsom.He's getting dissed a bit by the media but I think he's a rough diamond. Time was fast by 3.32 secs.

Have to agree a bit of Diplomacy wouldn't have killed you Hamm especially seeing as the horse obviously isn't a plodder.

Look, I wasn't trying to offend anyone and apologies if I did.

Clearly CC isnt a plodder, he would be an amazing horse to own and is obviously a very talented one. However, I only stated my opinion on the race, and am not going to tip toe around with niceties (not that i think Kauto would want them) when I think in the context of the Irish Derby, CC wouldnt have the required change of pace. I would have liked to see him go for some of the softer ground Group 3/2 races in France, as I thought after the Dante he would be out of his depth in the two Derby's - saying that, if he mine, i probably would have ran him in both what with it potentially being a once in a lifetime opportunity.

I don't think a plodder is that unkind a term - didn't someone on here label Fame and Glory a high class one recently?

I backed Cape blanco but thought Heffernan gave JV an awful ride.

Pity the Eclipse is only a week away as he would be the perfect horse for it. Juddmonte and Irish Champion perhaps?

Definitely wrong about Midas Touch, and wonder would he go to the GP de Paris?

I don't think a plodder is that unkind a term - didn't someone on here label Fame and Glory a high class one recently?

I did, but if I were in the company of Derek Smith, I might be more tactful and suggest he's a high-class galloper that lacks a turn of foot. ;)

As Hamm points out, Kauto wasn't offended, so not a problem.

Just don't call FAREER a dog, Hamm or I'll get me pins and voodoo doll out.... :p

I wouldn't give him anything if I were you - he's a right little sh*t according to Ed Dunlop - not averse to giving a quick chomp to anything trying to pass him on the gallops!

Haven't seen it mentioned here, but I was really taken by Tactic on Saturday. Looking forward to seeing him in the Cup races over the rest of the season.

A horse that impressed me yesterday was Emperor Claudius, I thought he won the listed race really well. That was his third win in eleven days too.

I was at the Curragh yesterday and it was a fabulous day. The racing was great, eight really good races, and the food village was top class.

A little bit low, I'd have thought something around 122 would be more like it. Absolutely nothing to trouble Workforce though.

Back