Departures 2009

Well, I'm guilty of generalising, Shadz, and we do have plenty of very good Irish-breds who underpin many good stables in Britain. And they do tend to be 'fit for purpose', rather than just hoiked out of another dismal run at Southwell, to miraculously appear in a novice hurdle three weeks later! We just don't have very many good British-breds any more!

Promising Newmarket 2nd Imposing broke down badly having galloped on Saturday morning. Not sure if he was saved, but it didn't look pretty but will definitely be off the track for some time.

That's very sad indeed. Two at Wetherby today: the nice chestnut APOCALOZZO, sent off favourite for his chase. I'm not sure, but it looked as if he had either a coming together with another horse just before taking off, or a hindleg broke just as he went to take-off, which made it look like a collision. Either way, he landed with a hindleg already damaged, and was destroyed on the course.

The second died instantly: only the Selling Hurdle, but it was contested gallantly throughout until the final couple of furlongs between FREEDOM FLYING and BONNY BRIGHT EYES. BBE took over, and was challenged by the eventual winner, MISS WRIGHT, for the lead. Sadly, still sincerely trying hard, BBE does a semi-rotational at the last and appears to die instantly.

Also at Wetherby, LINLITHGOW LAD was PU with the rider showing some concern for his action. He then seemed to put his offside hock out of joint for a stride or two, but then it popped back in. Very strange - it's as if the joint dislocated briefly, then put itself right. Whatever it was, it doesn't augur well for keeping him racing, and I'd be dismayed if he was brought out again.

Colin: watching the replay from Ludlow, I remembered that it was Ludlow's water jump which claimed the fatality I mentioned. It was jumped beautifully by all the horses today, although one dropped a hindleg dangerously close to its far edge. It's that sort of minor error which can cause the foot to slip backwards, making the animal sprawl, rather than fall outright. But, however wonky you might find my Maths, the jumps per se don't seem to incur inordinate fatals.

Last edited:
Kri, with reference to Apocalozzo, it looked to me as if the injury occurred before the fence and that Killoran was trying to pull the horse to his right to avoid jumping the fence but as there was a horse to his right he was forced into jumping the fence. Quite sad.

LINLITHGOW LAD apparently was also a fatalitly at Wetherby making 3 for that track in one day. Bonnie Bright Eyes was typical speed related just tipped the top of the hurdle which so often results in a summersault such a shame she was running a marvelous race.

Recent losses in May
Chief Editor at Newmarket
Saluscraggie at Hamilton
Faversham at Bangor
Dream On Dreamers at Uttoxeter
Backlash at Southwell
Miss Cameo at Beverley
Twist Bookie at Wetherby
Junctiontwentyfour at Newton Abbot

JF: take it that ROCK JUMPER survived the smash-up with DREAM ON DREAMERS? DoD was already down behind the screen, but RJ was being held alongsides, and I had the horrible thought that it was going to be a case of "Next!" from the vet. Missed BACKLASH and MISS CAMEO - so far, I've recorded 78 known fatalities, most NH, a few Flat/at home, from January 1st.

April was a truly shocking month, almost unbearable to look at NH, with virtually one every other day. I love NH, I want to see the jumping, but Jeez, there have been some real little tragedies. TWIST BOOKIE quite a shocker - so tired, I feel a PU would've been more honourable. Only his second fall of his career, and with some £40K in the bank, maybe it wouldn't have hurt to have eased him up - but that's hindsight for you, 20/20 perfect vision.

Like the sweet BONNY BRIGHT EYES, I guess. I found that particularly heart-breaking, because not only was she very attractive, but so sincere, trying so hard to win.

Killarney today..same hurdle..Robin Du Bois and Imperial Hills both killed and Last Derby pulled up suddenly

Not good at all. Bad fall for Ruby as well

I think they should remove all last fences.

I had a hollow little laugh at that but it turns out that Uncle Goober is psychic ...

"Trainer David Hayes said he was in favour of taking out the final hurdle in the home straight, as in steeplechasing, because many of the incidents happened as the horses tired."

From an Australian story:
http://www.theage.com.au/news/sport/horse-racing/another-death-may-signal-end-of-jumps-racing/2009/05/06/1241289238571.html

Thanks to those who posted the link to this elsewhere. Horrible pic with the story, though, so be warned.

By Racingpost.com Staff7.23PM 10 MAY 2009
CLERK of the course Brendan Sheridan defended the condition of the racing surface at Killarney on Sunday after six equine deaths on the first day of three-day meeting.
Fortunately no jockey was seriously hurt but both Ruby Walsh and Paul Carberry will have to pass the doctor before being allowed to ride on Monday.
Two of the casualties came down independently at the third last in the feature handicap hurdle. Champion jockey Walsh escaped with soreness and a twisted left ankle after falling from the ill-fated Imperial Hills. Carberry also left the track on crutches after injuring his left knee in a fall from Robin Du Bois who was killed at the same obstacle
Sheridan was quick to offer the reassurance: "All the jockeys said the ground today was perfect. It's just the law of averages."

Walsh was in full agreement and said: "We're happy with the ground."

Too bad to be true today..too many horses breaking down on flat, just watched At The Races replay - I'd say Andrew McNamara would be in an interesting position to comment. His first two mounts broke legs on the flat....and The Last Derby stopped suddenly as well. That Imperial Hills/Robin Du Bois incident is a horror.

Christ - SIX! I found ROBIN, IMPERIAL HILLS, W. LORD and SONORRA (broke leg in the Flat race), but who were the other two? RP online said TUSA AN FEAR was PU with injury. What the heck was going on?

We lost TENOR DE BALME at Plumpton today in the Amateurs Race, breaking a fetlock (I think - relied on an eyewitness, as the RP and ATR merely have the animals 'going lame') right at the winning post, and having to be as discreetly destroyed as possible with a good-size crowd unable to avoid seeing what happened.

Was in the middle of the track for the Tenor De Balme race Kri had backed Tenor De Balme too :(

Wasn't that many people at Plumpton yesterday considering the "family fun day" aspect to it and really enjoyed the pony racing.

Sorry Krizon, I forgot you worked there, if I'd thought about it I'd have sought you out.

The Pony Racing is a great experience for these youngsters. It was fantastic to see the reaction of the young lad who won the first. It's the first time I've seen an extra from 101 Dalmations running at a racecourse though!

Colin Bolger was a lucky boy. I though he was in serious trouble when Suzy Smith's bumper runner decided to demolish the rail. Did anyone see the horse come back, was she ok?

This was my first visit to Plumpton, and I have to say I enjoyed the atmosphere. Good weather always helps to make the day but given the ground was on the quick side I was very impressed by the racing surface.

Not sure if the horse was ok Maruco but Bolger is an exceptionally lucky boy.

That horse was certainly unique Maruco - the reaction of the kid who won the opener was superb, great to see the future stars (hopefully) enjoying themselves, hope like my group they took it seriously with proper paddock inspection and having a look at the horses go to post etc.

Christ - SIX! I found ROBIN, IMPERIAL HILLS, W. LORD and SONORRA (broke leg in the Flat race), but who were the other two? RP online said TUSA AN FEAR was PU with injury. What the heck was going on?

Panther Creek was the other, in the first.

As I've already said on the New Family Member thread, Killarney is very tight, only about 9f around with hairpin bends, but that had nothing to do with any of the accidents and there didn't seem to be anything wrong with the ground, which was neither fast nor false. Fingers crossed for the remaining two days of the meeting.

Oh, missed you, Martin! But I was exiled to the railway crossing gate until after the last pony race, although I did make it to the centre course caff for a sausage sarnie during mid-afternoon. Glad to say that both Colin Bolger and horse escaped from their nasty incident unscathed. I was sitting on an ancient chair watching them go past and there was this godawmighty CRACK! and some shouting from the other jocks as the rails broke, and then Colin hit the ground dead flat, and stayed down for a bit. Maruco, I only re-started working for Plumpton during their 2-day Easter meeting, and this, but I've put my name down for next season (starts September 30) now that previous family commitments aren't in conflict with the many Sunday meetings.

IS: all the pony riders were taken on a full walk of the course beforehand by Someone In Charge, given a view of the weighing room, etc. Peter Crate's son, George, is a fine wee rider and a lovely little chap. Peter had the Flat horse KATIYPOUR, among others, some of you'll remember - now peacefully retired from the game. They're a very keen PtP family with their own horses in the Surrey Union. Seems that no-one was expecting a mile, though! All the mums and riders I spoke with were surprised, since they'd been told it'd be either six or seven furlongs, and several ponies had never travelled that distance before. I figured I'd be the kid on TILLY in the mile - tailed off 'in another county', but still having an enjoyable flip round the course. Really sweet to see a proper little pony that didn't look as if it'd been trained by Richard Hannon!

Last edited:
Back