Diary Of A Racehorse Owner

Originally posted by rorydelargy+Dec 28 2007, 05:09 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (rorydelargy @ Dec 28 2007, 05:09 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-chrisbeekracing@Dec 28 2007, 02:41 PM

Why would anyone run a 96 rated horse in a claimer for £19,000.

Its a Joke
I'd do it in an instant for £19,000 Chris. I might think twice if it was only £1,943.10 though..... :P :P [/b][/quote]
Whilst I know you already know;

He is in to be claimed for £20,000 is Philharmonic. (thought it was 19k when i looked earlier)

We are in for 8k, just wanted to guarentee he got a run really. The program for under 55 rated sprinters is rather to spacious, you get nothing for 3 weeks then 7 races in the space of 5 days.

I think we will come 7th or 8th. he is a 70 horse when he puts it in and we have a decent jockey on board who i've known many years so I know he will give him a ride.

He just needs strong handling. If he's in the first 8 I'm happy. That may not sound much considering its a 12 runner claimer but the opposition is probabaly the best I've ever seen at this level.

I will be laying Philharmonic, cant see why you would risk losing a horse of his calibre for 20k unless he has something wrong with him. Also he is drawn bad.

I think One More Round will win. He should have won last time but was given too much to do. This looks ideal for him with a storng pace assured.

With the possible exception of Philharmonic, none of the runners are going to be in danger of being claimed at those prices.

Bay Hawk has 3 entries next week now. Exeter, Folkestone and Fontwell.

I see Ian R's horse (Fal Agh Bagh) is running at Newbury tomorrow - Best of Luck Ian!

He's got a good chance as well IMO - the race has cut up quite a bit. Gutting really as I had it in mind for my fella to run in before he had to have time off.

will he wish ran a cracking race to be third the other day.

Kings ransom is about ready to run.
Kings account is going for a wind op.

Korelo is over his colic and should be running soon.

Castleshane ie improving and will be ready to go out in the field in the spring.

Our "secret horse" is almost ready. He's very smart and I'm really looking forward to him.

Our bumper prospect isn't ready yet but should be by the spring sometime.

We are also on the process of buying a talented horse.

All the retired ones are fine, and doing well.

I've been very lucky so far and hope it hasnt run out. Managed, after many years of trying, to get my family to join up with another family to buy a horse. Hoped we might buy a little handicap hurdler. Went to Colm Murphy when he had four horses. We decided to spend a bit on the horse, IRE£12k in 2001 which was an ok wedge at the time. Ended up paying IRE£14k for Brave Inca. Rest is history.

Brave Inca supporters club then asked me if I would put together a syndicate called the Aspirations syndicate. So spent €27k in 2005 buying another Good Thyne (I like him as a stallion!!) called Kimberlite King. He won his two starts. So happy for the syndicate as its the first time for them all and even the guys who would be considered very very knowledgeable have seen a completely different side to racing. The ups and downs. He didnt start off with much ability but progressed and won his two bumpers but his jumping is shocking so a big come down for them but all part of the life of a raceshorse owner.

With Brave Inca doing so well, my family decided to go it alone and paid €30k for a Fourstars Allstars in 2006. He only lasted two months before breaking his leg. He was a half brother to Cheeky Lady who went on to finsh third int he Paddy Power and at Cheltenham before breaking her neck in the Irish National. Two in the family dead within six months of each other. The moral of that story was to insure for the first year.

Set up a syndicate business called Winning Ways and managed to get 12 together into the Winning Ways Prospector Syndicate to buy a Supreme Leader four year old last June at my favourite sale, Goffs Land Rover. He isn't a superstar but is showing some promise and I hope he might win a race at some stage. Which would be a massive achievement.

Always actively recruiting members. I know some people don't like being in big syndicates but I think it is a great way to get involved or to have a 1/12 share in three horses rather than a 1/4 share in one (as we found out with the Fourstars Allstars!). The Supreme Leader guys have been down to the stables about six times since we bought him and one guy has made all visits and really enjoys the mornings.

Lets hope we can find a few more winners. From my perspective, the key is buying a decent horse. It costs so much to train them it just seems like a bad choice to spend so little buying them. My view on it but know others who buy cheap horses and are successful. Horses tend to cost around €35k and that's a level I think you could buy the average horse at the Land Rover or Derby sale for.

Great read and a good outline of the perils but also the reasoning for why people keep horses! How have you found the managing of the syndicates? Sounds like a fair bit of work…..majority of the members people you knew?

Managing syndicates in my view is about communication.

One of the lads in the kimberlite syndicate told me about a horse they had in training on the curragh. A two year old. First thing they heard was he was going well. Then he was going to be prominent in his first run. Ran and finished down the field but excuse offered and accepted. Then all quiet until next run. Said he would run better. Down the field. Told he had a problem. Problem sorted. Next run would be for handicap mark. Job done. Runs in handicap, down the field. Sold. In twelve months they had one stable visit offered and four or five communciations.

Just before crimbo I asked the guys in the new syndicate if they had any comments or areas the service could be improved. No. Everyone happy with the stable visits and fortnigthly emails or calls. I think the key is to get people involved. If you go on the stable visits you start watching the other horses too and asking questions and generally learning about the sport from a different perspective. Fact I know all the guys down there since they started also helps as they are very friendly to the syndicates when I bring them down....prob helps when you throw them a few quid for the crimbo party.

As for the members. There are 11 in the Kimberlite King syndicate. I would have known of all except one. Half of them work in my old office and a few mates. In the new syndicate, betfair advertising produced two members and the others are lads in the local GAA club or mates of mates. I wouldn't know most of them but they heard it thorugh the grapevine and I suppose Kimberlite King winning proved it wasnt a fluke.

Which brings me to the most crucial point. Colm must be the most under-rated agent on earth! He only buys about six horses a year but picked Brave Inca, Kimberlite King and Megans Joy. And they're just the good ones!!

Must say I love going to the sales with him and I invited members of the new syndicate to join me at the sales when we were buying the Supremen Leader. They actually got to pick from two that Colm bought. Another one of the good things about knowing Colm, you get first refusal!! A few members of the next sydnciate also came along and they said they were happy to wait the year as they liked the set-up. I keep in touch with them every three months to make sure they are still interested.

So all good fun and hoping I migth get two syndicates together for the sales in June.

Sounds well run and organised. Like you said having someone like Colm Murphy (who you know and trust) is a big plus where as many syndicates/owners do not have that sort of guidance.

Stargazy is running in a 1m 1/2f seller tonight at Wolves, he has been outpaced in sprint races and we are hoping for a good run tonight. He has been working clear of Lord Deevert at home who just won at Lingfield and we remain quietly hopeful of a big run. I've had a bit on at 40s and 33s prior to the non runner and just gone in again at 33s and 25s on the new book.

The person who had a fiver at 1.68 for Stargazy to place on Betfair must be fairly confident!

I only wish that I could access Betfair at work..all gambling sites are blocked..Surely Stargazy is better than 1.68 for the place??

Really pleased with Stars run, he showed up well and looked to have nicked it 3f out when skipping 3L clear. he got squeezed up on the bend but didn't quite get home.

He has a small race in him back over 7f or 1m and we would have gone closer but for being taken on for the lead here.

Unlucky, Chris. Didn't see the race, but sounds as if he ran a decent race.

Will He Wish runs at Kempton on Friday. Chris Catlin rides. Personally, I think he has a big chance.

At least Bagpuss will give him a ride for you, never gives in does Chris, one of the most underated jockeys in the weighing room.

Back