Dubai World Cup 2012

one thing strikes me about So You Think

in his last 10 races he has started odds on in 6 of them..winning 5....but has started odds against in the other 4 and lost each of them

it seems to me that when he is evenly matched in a race he doesn't deliver..just wins when up against lesser lights...his one odds on loss was when evenly matched..even though most of us didn't realise that at the time

not for me today

I cant ever back SYT with any confidence and totally agree with the eyeball comment. Friends in Oz talked about him as the next coming of Pegasus but I am still to be convinced - and am not sure that the connections are confident as to what is the best distance/surface/style he runs to.

For my pick of the WC the poor beast burdened with my money is EINSHEN FLASH (sorry for spelling if its wrong!). Always like to back the Japanese raiders in these types of races and if they have two runners go for the outsider of the pair.

Not sure about the rest of the card but might play race by race.

there is a lot of pace in the race..smart falcon...transcend...game on dude..making the race a real test at this trip..Monterosso could go one better with this pace scenario..i'd rather be on him at long odds than SYT at a measly 9/4 who is likely to yeild to one in the final furlong

Not in the Eclipse he wasn't.

you said the champion though;)

do you think he was evenly matched by WF?..as it transpires he wasn't was he as WF wasn't a shadow of his 3yo self

back him at 9/4 if you think he is a lot better than these..but if he isn't at least 5/7lb better there are better 9/4 shots imo..because in the past when he meets tough oppo he gets beat

its all about opinions..i know i wouldn't take 9/4 about him anyway

I think he ran to the same sort of mark in both the Eclipse and the Champion. But Cirrus was a better horse than Workforce.

I'm not interested in a bet in the race, I just think suggestions that he's a bit of a shirker are a bit unfair and unfounded.

He got outstayed in the Champion, as he has every time he's been given a stiff test against proper opposition, and he'll get outstayed again today, imo.

I think he ran to the same sort of mark in both the Eclipse and the Champion. But Cirrus was a better horse than Workforce.

I'm not interested in a bet in the race, I just think suggestions that he's a bit of a shirker are a bit unfair and unfounded.

the form book shows he doesn't win when racing against equals on the day..its not a matter of being unfair..its just how it reads to me..other people think he is the best in the world..bar Frankel..which could also be looked on as unfounded and unfair

Last edited:
He got outstayed in the Champion, as he has every time he's been given a stiff test against proper opposition, and he'll get outstayed again today, imo.

and yet he has won over 10f at stiff tracks..and 11 at the Curragh..the only time he hasn't won is when beaten by better horses on the day..same as any horse that loses does

todays 10f test will be strongly run imo..but it can't be stiffer than Sandown or Leopardstown surely..there is no uphill here

on paper he has a few lbs in hand today so should technically win..but for me if it gets put up to him as you would imagine in a race this big..then i can see him wilting..which makes him a no bet at 9/4 for me.

he gets 10f stood on his head imo..especially a flat one

Last edited:
I'm hoping Beaten Up puts in a monster performance in the Sheema. I just loved the way he pumelled his rivals lto after pulling Murtaghs arms out for the first half of the race.

Bookies seem to want to be on the right side of him making it a no bet for me. I had 6's in mind, 9/2 was short, and now 7/2!!!! Current mark + likely improvement doesn't add up to 7/2 for me against the likes of St Nicholas Abbey and Cirrus Des Aigles. Although in hindsight we could all be saying why didn't we see this coming, and I hope thats the case.

Might be re-run - sad for FH but looked like a heart attack to me, certainly wasn't himself judged on the pics in the prelims.

Martin

Great to see Daddy Long Legs put that BC Juvenile behind him. Kentucky Derby next surely.

Took a nasty fall - thankfully SDS is ok.

Daddy Long Legs, Yang Tse Kiang and Wrote should all now leap up the GS Earnings list for the KY Derby.

Martin

The good showing by the Ballydoyle runners there reassures me that their team is in Dubai to win, and makes the 12/1 Await The Dawn with WH look interesting. We don't know much about him. He flopped at York but there may be valid excuses and at that sort of price I'm prepared to give him the benefit of the doubt.

I'd urge caution with Await The Dawn. The vibes from Ballydoyle were for Wrote and So You Think going close. ATD is put together by plastic and glue.

I'm a big Await The Dawn fan but can't see him having the pace for this. I think for him to truely fulfill his potential it's gonna be over 12f or on dirt.

Dark Shadow & Xtension my two against the field here. Gl everyone :):)

With appropriate stakes, Mutahadee interests me most here. Then Dubawi Gold at a price.

Looks gone at the game, doesn't he? Super performance by Cityscape. Maybe he'll help keep Frankel honest in the Lockinge.

Back