Dubai World Cup night

Fallon rode him to win in Germany but it was a weak race and he should have taken on Rail Link in the Arc that year.

The horse was born 20 years too late - Lester would have been sublime on him !

Last edited:
Anyone any idea how close Youmzain may be to the British record for earnings?

Nothing authoritative (I'm just plucking British-trained winners of big international pots off the top of my head);

Pilsudski £2.83m
Dubai Millennium: £2.75m
Collier Hill: £2.32m
Daylami: £2.26m (some of that whilst trained in France)
Youmzain: £2.18m.

Nothing authoritative (I'm just plucking British-trained winners of big international pots off the top of my head);

Pilsudski £2.83m
Dubai Millennium: £2.75m
Collier Hill: £2.32m
Daylami: £2.26m (some of that whilst trained in France)
Youmzain: £2.18m.

How could I forget Falbrav?!? £3.8m but a large chunk of that came when he was in Italy (including a Japan Cup win).

Re earnings,

Don't forget Ouija Board just because she's a girl. ;)

Over £3.5m in win and place prize money. :)

For the money on offer, the roll call of winners today was pretty poor. Disappointing end for a great racecourse.

Gladiatorus looked to get an easy lead in hindsight but I must admit during the race itself I thought he was steaming off far too fast and would fall in a hole. In fairness to him he kept going and the time suggests it was a decent running race.

As for Youmzain, same story over and over again...the winner came back from a long way back as well.

The DeKock horses all ran very poorly tonight.

As for Youmzain, same story over and over again...the winner came back from a long way back as well.

The winner didn`t encounter any trouble though - and Youmzain was at the back and on the inside. Which makes it even harder. He looks as good as ever though, so with the right pilot on board he has the class to win a big Group 1.

The winner didn`t encounter any trouble though - and Youmzain was at the back and on the inside. Which makes it even harder. He looks as good as ever though, so with the right pilot on board he has the class to win a big Group 1.

He'll be trying to run down better horses than an Ebor winner and a Group 3 horse...

It took a special filly to beat him in Paris last year. The three year olds will have to be a pretty special bunch to get him out of the frame in 2009. He`s a 130+ animal and as such is well up to winning an average renewal.

I think Godolphin got it wrong tonight.
Gayego should have run in the WC. TSS in the sprint and My Indy in the mile.Anyway, the got a good result on the night.
Too many horses running below par for me. I am glad they are gonna change the surface for next year.

Surely Gayego should have been in the sprint considering he gave the first and third weight and a beating over course and distance last time out?

Both, Gayego and TSS would have won the sprint in my opinion.
My indy didn´t stay the 10f and would have been very close in the mile.
Out of the three, possibly the best suited to 10f is Gayego and therefore I would have aimed him to the WC.
And needless to say, I cannot see the point of running Lady Marian if she is not 100%. I understood Simon C.´s reasoning, but it really make no sense to me.

I don't think there'd be much optimism for Gayego over 10f given how he bombed out in his previous tries over the trip, but I agree TSS would have been competitive in the sprint - it does seem a bit of a waste to have run them against each other in a Group 2 whilst leaving Diabolical with a stiff task to turn around the form with Big City Man in the sprint.

Don't see Gayego winning the sprint, he seemed to need all of the mile to get close to TSS and it was probably the two best sprinters in the world on dirt who took Shaheen (Indian Blessing yet to be out of the first two in her career) and Jerry Barton doing something a bit magical to turn Big City Man from a state-bred stakes horse to a legitimate G1 winner in two years or so.

True but if he had run to his Arc form at Ascot he would have beaten Duke Of Marmelade no doubt about it.

When it comes to Youmzain and the phrase "no doubt about it" I tend to be wary...

In that case presumably Soldier Of Fortune and Its Gino would have won the King George as well.

Last edited:
In that case presumably Soldier Of Fortune and Its Gino would have won the King George as well.

Not at all. Zarkava and Youmzain were both better than the bare result suggested at Longchamp. The latter was a better animal over 12f than the Duke, but DOM`s best run was over a mile and a quarter.

Back