Dunguib

Very nice and tidy - didn't need to make any more effort that he did, especially so as not to showboat him and wear him out in that goo.

Quite agree.

As do I - my point was unless they desperately needed the prize money the horse will have learnt little enough by virtually making the running for the serious part of the race thus avoiding his jumping being tested with future targets in mind.

Just thought it was a strange choice to run him little over two weeks away from Fairyhouse. For the record I have heard that connections are very keen to run him in the Champion Hurdle if he goes undefeated through the novice races prior to the festival.

As do I - my point was unless they desperately needed the prize money the horse will have learnt little enough by virtually making the running for the serious part of the race thus avoiding his jumping being tested with future targets in mind.

Just thought it was a strange choice to run him little over two weeks away from Fairyhouse. For the record I have heard that connections are very keen to run him in the Champion Hurdle if he goes undefeated through the novice races prior to the festival.

I'm sure the prize money would not have been an issue (it was only about EUR9,000), more the experience of racing over hurdles, surely. I don't think they would have expected to have a hard race at this level... and so it proved.

I'm sure they would have the Champion at the back of their mind. Early days for thinking that he's up to that just yet though.

Would suggest that not many of the runners, outside of Puyol perhaps would want to finish too close to Dunguib for fear of having their handicap mark hammered.

I struggle to see the point of running him there today . Apart from Alderbrook when did a novice last win the CH . I could see him being like Rhinestone Cowboy . Terribly impressive in the run up but turned over big time on the day .

Jeez, give the poor wean a chance, will ya? The poor beast is hardly out of his nappies and talk about diss him!

I am not dissing him . I just think that generally running novices against the top older horses in the championship races ends in either disappointment or like Gloria Victis , Golden Cygnet and to a lesser extent Beef or Salmon - in disaster.

He obviously outclassed Puyol but I thought, like Galileo he looked a bit tired at the finish. He probably wasn't wound up for the race but all the same it can't be good for him.

...I can't understand all this. He did it well within himself and was unexerted, but got a bit tired in the ground. That will have put him match fit for anything they can throw at him.

I am not dissing him . I just think that generally running novices against the top older horses in the championship races ends in either disappointment or like Gloria Victis , Golden Cygnet and to a lesser extent Beef or Salmon - in disaster.

A disaster as you put it is far less likely in a hurdle race. I just think the CH is a hot looking race this year and maybe they should give it a year.

I think that with GLORIA VICTIS, the jockey (AP) came in for a roasting on all forums for pushing too hard on one too young. DUNGUIB looks pretty unflappable to me, and he's not likely to be pushed and shoved as AP was wont to do in them thar hungry days. Let's beam out positive thoughts, Ardross!

...I can't understand all this. He did it well within himself and was unexerted, but got a bit tired in the ground. That will have put him match fit for anything they can throw at him.

Pretty much my take. He was entitled to get tired having raced freely through much of the early stages and pulling himself to the front.

I believe Fenton said beforehand that the horse was running as he was unable to get in a racecourse schooling session due to the weather I believe). Doubtless he will let us know in the next installment of his Racing Post blog...

DUNGUIB writes his own Blog? That's brilliant - especially as KAUTO STAR has his ghost-written for him by FIRST GOLD.

Make A Stand was a novice?

He was, Harry, but he had been battled hardened running in, and winning, competitive handicap hurdles, rather than trotting-up in poorly contested novices, with nothing to trouble him class-wise in opposition.

Smooooothly does it. He looked in brilliant, athletic fettle in the ring, as if suppressing a desire to have a wee buck and a kick. No probs with the race today at all, just gently cantered a bit faster than the rest, popped the lot, and home easily for tea and crumpets. (Or pikelets, if you're from oop nawth.) Lovely.

He still isn't really exciting me yet. He was a bit jerky over many of the hurdles, not the real smooth flick that the real naturals do. I'm not convinced he had a whole heap in hand over a horse I doubt would finish in the top half of a Supreme Novice field.

Obviously he's pretty damn good and has the potential to be better, but 2/1 for a supreme novices is way too lean and talk of a champion hurdle bid seems ludicrous to me. I think he has far, far, more to prove to put him in a category that would justify this sort of reputation.

Think that's a harsh assesment of Some Present's ability, Melendez. I'm inclined to think he was seen to better effect given a somewhat honest gallop (for the first time over hurdles) today. Hard not to be impressed with the way Dunguib went away from him pretty much on the bridle after two out. As you say, no way Dunguib is a play at anywhere near his current price.

In actuality, I'd be surprised if Some Present lined up in the Supreme ~ rest assured he'll have plenty of dances between now and then though.

To give some context, at the same stage last season, Hurricane Fly - who by any definition was a high-class novice - was a bigger price for both the Supreme Novices and the Ballymore Hurdle, than Dunguib is right now for the Champion Hurdle. Despite achieving more or less exactly the same over hurdles.

WTF are Powers thinking about putting up 4/1?

They say there's no such things as bad publicity, so they must reckon they will save on the advertising, when news of their joke price gets out. Let's hope they do, because they won't get any revenue from this offer - only a certifiable horse's arse, would consider taking those odds about Dunguib for the Champion Hurdle.

Back