Epsom Derby

FALLON TO RIDE NELSON
By Chris Wilson, PA Sport

Kieren Fallon will partner Horatio Nelson in the Vodafone Derby at Epsom on Saturday.

Ballydoyle confirmed the news after Aidan O'Brien's colt underwent a successful scope and blood test this morning following a workout under Fallon on Tuesday.

The Irish rider also put O'Brien's other Derby contenders - Septimus, Dylan Thomas and Mountain - through their paces but was left most impressed with the son of Danehill, who finished eighth behind George Washington in the Stan James 2000 Guineas at Newmarket last time out.

Impressive Dante winner Septimus will now be ridden be Michael Kinane, while Johnny Murtagh, who won the Derby for O'Brien on High Chaparral in 2002, takes the ride of Dylan Thomas.

Plans for Derrinstown Stud Derby Trial runner-up Mountain have yet to be finalised.

Horatio Nelson's price to win the Epsom Classic plummeted yesterday following growing speculation Fallon, who also had the option of riding Coolmoore's Papal Bull from Sir Michael Stoute's yard, held a preference for Horatio Nelson.

Coral slashed his odds from 8-1 to 4-1 after a barrage of sizeable bets, while totesport make him 9-2 clear second favourite.

So it appears Kinane is needed for Septimus rather than the choice of the Stoute pair. I'm a little surprised that's the case. I was sure Murtagh would be on Septimus.

No doubt Winston will have the choice of Papal Bull and Best Alibi if this is the case.

Papal Bull will be doing well to get placed in the race in my opinion. Form is nothing other than pretty average.

Will there be any jockeys riding in the race who have won the Derby besides the Ballydoyle trio of Fallon, Kinane and Murtagh? Unless Alan Munro or Michael Hills picks something up, I don't think there will be - those three have won all of the last 7 Derbys between them.

Am I correct in recalling that after his Dante win, Kieren Fallon was quizzed about his possible Derby mounts and said he'd never even sat on Horatio Nelson?

Now I recognise that no one would describe KF as a paragon of honesty, and that there is a thin line between public disclosures and info that should be the preserve of those that pay the bills etc but I find the following a bit of a contradiction

"Three-time Derby winner Fallon had ridden him, and O'Brien's other Derby contenders Septimus, Dylan Thomas and Mountain, in separate bits of work on Tuesday and afterwards O'Brien said: "Kieren rode all four in individual bits of work this morning. He was very happy with all of them, but he was most impressed by Horatio. He had ridden him before the 2,000 Guineas and he was much happier with him today".

- Todays RP

Trainers, Jockeys and to a much lesser extent owners, have a wider obligation/ responsibility to promote the sport and industry I believe? and therefore to try and speak to the media, given that it is 'the' legitimate line of communication between them and the public chalk face. Basically, publicity = profile = development. For the most part they oblige. Some hype horses, some down play them, but after time one learns the code that certain people use, and it all adds to the fun of the fair in trying to solve the problem. Opinions can be offered that turn out to be wrong too? So what! Thats an occupational hazard, and no different to any form of punditry, provided it was given sincerely. There is also an understandable requirement not to 'tell all' on occasions, nothing wrong with that I'd suggest too? (If a tad embaraasing when people like Sir Robert O slap a D notice on the normally obliging likes of Nicky Henderson). The skill of course is in deciding what can be put in the public domain, and therefore places the onus, not on what one says, but rather on what one doesn't say? Fallon unfortunately appears to have lied at prima facie (a distinctly different thing to being economic with the truth). It's possible he forgot? like any jockey would forget riding a horse which had been ear marked as his possible Derby mount months ago? Not!. Could be the AOB's mistaken, afterall he's so scatter minded and leaves everything to chance and haphazard preparation, it's the sort of thing he'd easily overlook?

Am I moaning about the fact that I didn't think he'd jump off a winner of a Gp2, 3yo trial winner in favour of something he'd 'never sat on' before, based on what I can only imagine was about 7F's worth of breeze up work, with a bit of a final gallop? Yes!!! I committed my money partly based on a palpably deceitful answer, and there were certainly other ways Fallon could have ducked the question. As it happens, I'm still not put off my horse, and Kinane is no mug, even though I'd rather have Pinnochio in the plate, but it leaves a little bit of whiff. Mind you, compared to the routine lying that the football industry indulges in (where punters money can also be put at risk through wanton disinformation) this is small fry.

Fallon of course rode Horatio 5 times last season, all of which were before the 2000 Guineas. Although you are probably right...

Of course you could take the view that, in saying he hadn't sat on the horse prior to the 2000 Guineas (this year) when he had, as being equally beneficial to punters as you regard this to be detrimental?

Fallon of course did sit on Hortio Nelson before the Guineas, in a public gallop on the Curragh.

It is not uncommon for this to happen in Ballydoyle. O'Brien prefers to keep the horses in a routine, Kinane on numerous times stated O'Brien wouldnt let him sit on the likes of Galileo and co regularly at home.

In fairness I don't believe footballers who say "I love this club" just before they put in a transfer request. I don't believe Chairmen who say the "Managers got my full backing and confidence" just before sacking them. And I don't believe politicians who say "Iraq's got weapons of mass destruction" shortly before finding little more than peashooter. So quite why I should believe that a Jockey hasn't kept acquainted with a prospective Derby mount I don't know? :lol:

I do believe that my selection would have been the winner, had Fallon kept with him, though now I'm not so sure?. In truth, if I am that perplexed I could still lay him back and not be out of pocket, so the option's with me. I fear however, that I've persuaded a few at work to join the ante post 20's punt though, and the race has therefore taken on a little bit more importance than it normally would, if it were just my money at stake.

Still Mordin's made a case for him in the Weekender today, (even if Segal hasn't) What the hell!!! I'm still haunted by a workplace row when some neurotic type demanded her £5 back off me because the horse I "told her would win" didn't (the most vicious arguments always involve the smallest stakes). She even tried quoting the Sales of Goods Act at me, Trade Descriptions and Contract Law, on the premise that I'd sold her something that was not of the merchantible quality that I described it as, and not fit for the purpose that she'd bought it for :what:

Originally posted by Warbler@May 31 2006, 02:09 PM
She even tried quoting the Sales of Goods Act at me, Trade Descriptions and Contract Law, on the premise that I'd sold her something that was not of the merchantible quality that I described it as, and not fit for the purpose that she'd bought it for :what:
:lol: :lol: surely you pointed out that you were merely a carrier of her money and if she had sent you to the shops to buy a Mars Bar which had turned out to be a plastic wrapped turd she would make her complaint with Mars and not your fine self?

WINSTON BOOKED FOR BULL
By Robert Pratt, PA Sport

Robert Winston has been confirmed by Sir Michael Stoute's yard as the rider of Papal Bull in the Vodafone Derby at Epsom on Saturday.

The son of Montjeu, who was supplemented for the race at a cost of £75,000, has been ridden by Kieren Fallon in all his starts to date but with the former champion opting to partner Horatio Nelson for Aidan O'Brien, the mount became available.

Winston, who went down to Stoute's Freemason Lodge stables last week to ride the Chester Vase winner in a workout, will be having his first Derby ride.

"I've had a sit on him and he's lovely horse, a very strong horse," Winston said. "He works lazily at home but he switches on when he gets to the races.

"He hasn't done anything wrong and he won his Derby trial quite nicely and the form of his races has worked out really well. If the ground is on the easy side it might suit him as well.

"It's something to look forward to."

Olympian Odyssey is going to France instead, leaving Jamie Spencer without a ride - his agent reckons everything is booked up, although I haven't heard anyone confirmed for Mountain (perhaps someone has already been asked, Pat Smullen maybe).

The drifting price of Septimus looks worth taking advantage of for those that either haven't already backed him or wish to top up.

I could get a lot of pleasure out of Papal Bull beating Horatio Nelson and my pocket is not involved.

Speaking of bull, what the f*ck is this about Fallon going for Nelson based on a gallop over what will obviously be basically be a 6f sprint? Septimus has NEVER been a speed horse and there is no way in hell that he'd ever beat Nelson in such a gallop. He wouldn't be able to beat any slightly decent horse in a competition such as that.

The logic is completely flawed and Septimus is now a huge price for the Derby.

One would think, though, that Fallon has the expirience to take this into consideration as well ?! On paper and breeding, HN as good a right to get the distance as has Septimus. I have to admit though that he is not exactly built like a stayer. After all, Danehill did sire the likes of Westerner too, and his dam won the Oaks.

Back