Equine Retirements, Long Term Injuries and Departures

Ziga boy fatally injured in retirement. Such a shame - he’d barely begun his next life.
7c361f27765a9ff60283d60259415811.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Gavin Cromwell has revealed that Espoir D’Allen will not run this season.
“He is lame and sore on his right front side and he hasn’t improved since he went down there. They are still doing tests on him” said Cromwell.
The JP McManus owned horse had been favourite to repeat his March success in the Champion Hurdle, but now Klassical Dream heads the betting at 7/2.
5 year old Espoir D’Allen was the widest-margin winner of a Champion Hurdle ever when he won by 15 lengths, he did not run again as trainer Cromwell thought the horse had a tough season.

“Last Thursday he had done a little canter and coming back in off the gallop he got spooked, reared up and fell over,” Cromwell told the Racing Post.
“He is down in Fethard Equine Hospital and we still haven’t found what’s wrong with him, but it looks like he is going to be out for the season.
“He got a slap off the ground and the issue seems to be around his shoulder, but they are still trying to pin it down.
“He is very lame and sore on his right front side and he hasn’t improved since he went down there. They are still doing tests on him to try and find the problem and the vets don’t seem very optimistic of him making a speedy recovery.
“It’s a massive blow for everybody in the yard.”

Last edited:
It's a real shame, but he's still a young horse, so fingers crossed he can make it back to the track.

As Barry Geraghty says in that article, Jezki was "absolutely rapid over a hurdle". A very slick hurdler.

And it's nice to read in that article that Barry's comeback from injury is getting closer.

He'll get forgotten even in discussions about horses cut off before their prime, but it was all there for him. Such a shame.

Utterly awful news. What a pisser of a day.

I did fear for RL after the second op despite the promising progress reports. It’s exactly the same timescale as my mare who too made excellent progress after the second thenequally suddenly went downhill and we had no choice but to euthanise. It is devastating. I was so distraught I couldn’t actually talk about it for about three years.

Back