Equine Retirements, Long Term Injuries and Departures

On why he chose Skelton as the lucky recipient of his select group of horses, Yates added: "I’m a big sports follower and I love the way the father won a gold medal at the Olympics, I think it’s amazing for the family that he got there.
"The set up is great, and his brother being the stable jockey is such a massive plus, he's one of the best jockeys in the country. I like the way he's sort of kept it in the family. You've got Paul Nicholls and Nicky Henderson and now you’re talking about Dan Skelton in the same breath."

Don't understand this at all. They gave Kirby no time with the NH horses. Dan Skelton is very hard on his horses. The horses have partly gone there because an Olympic medal influenced his decision. so why not go there in the first place? Phil Kirby, in my opinion, is a really good,considerate trainer with a lot of patience. Probably better off without.

Last edited:
Yes I think the Skeltons are hard on their horses too. So desperate to make a big impact which they have undoubtedly done. But at what cost to the horses? Not a yard you’d probably want to buy out of.

I’m confused why they took everything away while claiming they weren’t happy with their flat results. Doesn’t sound right to me, from the little I know about the Kirbys they are very nice, more than capable trainers and people.

Smells funny..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes I think the Skeltons are hard on their horses too. So desperate to make a big impact which they have undoubtedly done. But at what cost to the horses? Not a yard you’d probably want to buy out of.

A friend had a horse with them, he said there is absolutely no sentimentality there (some may think that is a good thing) and not the most patient of yards, amongst other things.

I agree. Dan Skelton is the 'Martin Pipe' of the current generation. He is a mix of pushing them on and laying them out, and is all about results and pot hunting. If he's got a really good one he may well miss out on the very top prizes because he's not one for thinking two or three years ahead. I'd imagine the day to day results may well suit Darren Yates for now, but I suspect what he really wants is a big win at Cheltenham or Aintree, and with the Skeltons that's most likely going got be in a handicap.

The Kirby's are horse people who are prepared to be patient and take their time. No instant results, and no evidence that they can deliver the big prizes either. Whilst I sympathise with Phillip Kirby I can see why he's moved them.

I don't know Darren Yates, but he's investing serious money so, as long as he doesn't do a 'Rooney', good luck to him wherever he sends his horses.

Last edited:
Oh praying she pulls through ok. I’ve lost two to colic. The first had two operations and I still lost her. The second (by coincidence an ex Haggas horse) had already had colic surgery (unknown to me when I bought him and undisclosed by the vendor) and there was no way he’d survive a second operation so I had to have him pts. It is a terrible thing for horses to suffer and can happen at any time.

Such a shame. Would have loved to see her have another crack at Enable on decent ground.

https://twitter.com/racingtv/status/1147798496701034496?s=21

Hopefully that link works - it’s the link to Jamie Osbourne on the Nick Luck program this morning.

Surgical procedures and care have come on a million times in the last twenty years - but colic surgery is a massive massive thing to ask a horse to have. Fingers crossed she comes through everything ok and has a long and happy retirement.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That was utterly heartbreaking and reminiscent of Many Clouds in giving his all until the end.

RIP you brave horse.

The RP reported that she had a tumour removed then discovered a second when she deteriorated this morning. Absolutely gutting.

Back