Equine Retirements, Long Term Injuries and Departures

AP Indy has died aged 31. I worked in the adjacent barn to Neil Drysdale when he was there and he was the most beautiful horse I have ever seen. Completely the apple of his trainers eye, he was unlucky to suffer from foot problems which prevented him from running in the first two legs of the Triple Crown - he won the Belmont before going on to win the BC Classic and becoming a huge influence as a sire (88 graded stakes winners and 12 champions).

Can reinstate my post now! RIP to Double Trigger.
761ae3f85b2e1bc5da1261fa10158a8c.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Seriously unhappy about that. Had big prices for the NH chase, though I was starting to get concerned they'd switch to the RSA.

Still, as long as he comes back sound.

Willie Mullins described Un De Sceaux as a "once-in-a-lifetime horse" as he confirmed the multiple Grade One-winner's retirement following injury.

The career-ending problem was discovered after the 12-year-old worked on Thursday morning Un De Sceaux finished outside the first two just once in 21 completed runs over fences - the majority of which were in Grade One company.

"Right up to the end, he was trying to impersonate a four-year-old," said Mullins on Friday. "He worked great yesterday morning, but you could see on pulling up that he wasn't right, and it was confirmed this morning that he had a ligament injury."

Un De Sceaux has been among the brightest stars at Mullins' powerhouse stable since arriving from France seven years ago. The champion Irish trainer added: "He's been a huge star in our yard and he'll be hugely missed. You can't replace horses like him - it's impossible. He was a once-in-a-lifetime horse, and we were very lucky to have him.

"It was incredible how sound he was, because he was so hard on himself, and every day he gave his best in racing and in training. He had a huge following. The owners (the O'Connell family) have Bachasson to go to the (Cheltenham) Festival with this year in the Coral Cup, and hopefully they can look forward to that."

Un De Sceaux ends his career, having won 23 of 34 races under Rules and more than £1,500,000 in prize money.

He ran at five Cheltenham Festivals, winning the Arkle in 2015 and the Ryanair in 2017.

I'll miss seeing him race so much but so relieved he's retiring and hopefully will be ok. Of all the Mullins stable stars he's always, to me, shone the brightest, and epitomised everything that is great about NH racing. It would be great if he, when recovered, spent his retirement at the National Stud so we could all visit him.

Solid bugger

Just short of really top class but leaves behind him a legacy that any horse can be proud of

That's a bit harsh no? 10 Grade ones including two at the festival and over £1.5m in prizemoney would suggest top class to me.

His win in the Ryanair still gives me goosebumps!

Yeah, top class for me. His two wins at the Festival, neither were over his optimum conditions. If he'd lucked out and got a QM on soft ground he'd have been spectacular - big shame they wasted him in the Ryanair in 2018. He didn't proper stay 2m5 on soft.

Great horse, and we'll never know how great a hurdler he might have been - his 2014 season suggested he was very good. But he was a proper chaser anyway, and glad he has been retired in good health.

One of the most under rated for me Un De Sceaux. If you ever beat him you’ve usually won the race. Soft ground 2 miles, he was a monster.

Would have been 12 grade ones had he not ran into the great Sprinter. Quality horse. Happy retirement

Yeah, top class for me. His two wins at the Festival, neither were over his optimum conditions. If he'd lucked out and got a QM on soft ground he'd have been spectacular - big shame they wasted him in the Ryanair in 2018. He didn't proper stay 2m5 on soft.

Yeah would love to have seen him put it up to Altior in 2018.

Hope he has a long and happy retirement. Thanks for the memories fella

Top class for me

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I am not in any way looking to besmirch UDS on his day but when I think gravy, I am thinking along the lines of Vautour's Ryanair.

I don't think anyone would ever say that UDS was the best horse in training at any single stage of his career

UDS top class for me also, and still remember him being prevented from winning the Champion Hurdle by WPM.

Loved him. Shame about the injury, but he's out of the game in one piece, and deserves a long and happy retirement.

Back