Equine Retirements, Long Term Injuries and Departures

UDS top class for me also, and still remember him being prevented from winning the Champion Hurdle by WPM.

I prefer to see it as a career very well managed by WPM.

Had he have been pushed hard to try and win a Champion Hurdle in 2014, it is less likely that he would be still running at the top six years later.

Yes and I was just thinking the slower ground was helping massively and hoping beyond hope that we could have a fatality free week.

Twitter users claiming you saw the horses neck snap, many actually saying they ain’t watching the NH game again after it. Thank god i didn’t witness it.

Watching Starchitect and Sir Eric was horrible viewing, god knows what that must have been like.

Some absolute wanker just shared it on online. Absolutely horrific. Me done for the day. No one has time for that

Super sire, Shamardal has died aged 18. Most recent star progeny include Pinatubo and Blue Point.

What a shame. Does anyone remember SteveM making him a treble max bet on here in the Dewhurst in 2004?

Was the sire of Dunboyne Express/Dan Excel that won on debut for KP. That was another good day.

War Sound has sadly died of colic aged 11 :(
Hobbs also gave news of Sporting John who had co-ordination issues behind after finishing at Cheltenham. Nothing was found that explained Defi’s poor showing though.

A grey mare; I wonder if melanoma caused the colic as greys get lighter with age the melanin leaves the skin to accumulate somewhere else in the body.
Just a thought.

I had a grey pony vetted prior to purchasing it for my daughter and the vet found a melanoma. We, obviously didn't buy it. I remember the vet saying how prone greys were to melanoma.

Greys very prone to problems with melanomas. A friend who has Claude, otherwise known as Dark Cloud in his racing life, had 130 removed from various bits of him last year, some where would make most men wince if said out loud. Vet said was better to take them now/then than leave. Took him a while to get over the op, he was very sore for a long time. Luckily he's one of the dolliest horses ever and was a good patient.

Schiaparelli just back covering after colic...very bad timing for him when just getting a bit of notice. At least he is still here which is the main thing.

Last edited:
Back