Equine Retirements, Long Term Injuries and Departures

Sir Isaac Newton, the 2016 Wolferton Handicap winner at Royal Ascot, suffered a fatal injury when falling at the last in a maiden hurdle in Australia on Tuesday.

Oh that is sad. I saw him sold as a yearling and he was stunning. He would have been my lottery purchase! I got the feeling he possibly would have benefited from being trained in a different yard. So many Ballydoyle horses don’t actually achieve their full potential simply because there are too many talented horses there.

Avro Anson at the good age of 32. Sounds like he had a long and happy retirement. I must admit that I had to recheck that it wasn't old information that had popped up again on facebook as I'd wrongly assumed he was long since gone. Which just goes to show that when horses live their full lifespan they take up a huge chunk of ours, too. RIP.

Forty Niner who was US Champion 2yo and beaten by filly, Winning Colors in the Kentucky Derby, aged 35 has passed away. That’s one hell of an age!

Captain Peacock had a heart attack on the gallops this morning. Sad for the Sherwood team and his owners. Hopefully Josh Apiafi will mend soon - he’s got a broken hip and lots of bruises.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

One of the greats for a small trainer.
Grand people all, GLB was a legend for them.
He ran second in a Bellewstown maiden early in his career, the only Irish racecourse where Tom has never trained a winner.
When Gordon could not do it, what are the chances Tom can ever have a winner there.

Far Above, who won the Group 3 Palace House Stakes at Newmarket on Saturday, has been retired after sustaining an injury in the race.

No surprise there. He looked pretty unsound on his near fore as he returned to winners enclosure.

Back