Equine Retirements, Long Term Injuries and Departures

Sky Sports Racing reporting that Technician suffered a career-ending injury when down the back in the Gold Cup at Royal Ascot yesterday.

Oh that’s a shame. He was most disappointing so I wondered what was up. I think African Pride broke down in the last too?

Yanworth sadly broke his pelvis last night at Killbeggan.

Also lost Qorto of Godolphins this week.

Yanworth sadly broke his pelvis last night at Killbeggan.

It is a tremendous shame when any horse dies in this sport but I am especially taken aback by Yanworth's passing.

I vividly remember the impression he made on me when he won the novice hurdle at Cheltenham's January meeting as I probably looked as flabbergasted as his trainer did afterwards. While he didn't go on to become an all time great, he was still some horse to win Grade Ones at two and three miles. It is sad that he did not get to enjoy a retirement.

RIP

Not sure where to put this so apologies in advance: someone who works at a local Agricultural College has been tasked with buying/finding 3 horses for the pupils starting in September. She has a budget of £15k for the three so anyone has any in mind who need a new home, or on loan maybe? Thanks.

Not sure where to put this so apologies in advance: someone who works at a local Agricultural College has been tasked with buying/finding 3 horses for the pupils starting in September. She has a budget of £15k for the three so anyone has any in mind who need a new home, or on loan maybe? Thanks.

You could try some of the rehoming centres for already retrained horses, but most of the agri colleges want schoolmaster types who can be ridden by most people - I think your friend would struggle to get most ex racers past heath and safety, more’s the pity ??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You could try some of the rehoming centres for already retrained horses, but most of the agri colleges want schoolmaster types who can be ridden by most people - I think your friend would struggle to get most ex racers past heath and safety, more’s the pity ??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks, have suggested that. Shame a lot of the sales have been cancelled as a good home awaits.

Bubble O’Clock was sadly lost today at Newton Abbot. Personally I’m gutted as I knew the horse. He won twice in a week at my local point to point course the season before last with some of the most spectacular jumping I have seen. I interviewed connections and he was ridden by his owner/trainer, Matt Hampton. Matt had bought him out of Paul Nicholls yard and he was a virtual cripple when he got him. He gave him extensive physio and the result was incredible. He was then bought off Matt by a lovely lady called Gill Grimwade who runs a charity stall at point to points in aid of the Brooke Hospital. My heart really goes out to them. He was running a huge race and would have won when he came down. He may have survived the fall but got hit badly when down by another runner. RIP Bubble.

Being reported on twitter that Kayf Tara being retired from Stallion duties due to fertility issues. What a fabulous race horse and sire he has been. I hope he has a long and happy retirement. .

Oh that’s a huge shame.

I gather the yard also lost Wolferton winner, Mountain Angel this week too.

Last edited:
Rip Van Winkle One of my all-time favourite horses has died, age 14, in New Zealand.
Goodbye, and thanks for the memories, fella.

Last edited:
This will upset a few. Skeptical was sadly euthanised this morning after fracturing a leg on the gallops.

Actually reading the article and seeing the photo of the owners I realise I met them, must be twenty years ago. Just before I took out my licence, another owner in Ireland said to me “there’s this guy I know who has a few yearling fillies he wants to lease out. He’s bought them cheap at the sales to breed from but wants them to race first.” So I went over to Ireland (it was the day of Sinndars Derby and I was really peed off I couldnt find anywhere at the airport to watch it) to meet them. It was bizarre. Even though the guy owned several hotels, he didn’t offer me any accommodation and I had to get a taxi out to the only hotel I could find at short notice. He then picked me up the next morning and we drove miles to an unbelievably sh*tty farm where I was shown these yearlings. I was dumbstruck. Everyone was so poor in condition, covered in rain scald and had feet nearly turning up through lack of a farrier. I wanted to say I’d take them all just to feed and worm them. Anyway sense prevailed or rather my OH saw them and told me not to be so stupid (I took photos which I actually found the other day and was again shocked by them). I wrote down their breeding (some of them well bred) and I don’t think any of them made the track. With that sort of start in life, it was doubtful.

One of my favourites. I know both Maurice and I were on when he won his Grand Annual, but he’d been a favourite long before that.

What was he doing out in August at the age of 13 trying to win a small pot on quick ground?

Some others in the race I might have said the same thing about too, but especially him.

Last edited:
Yes, he was on the Longshot thread at 66/1 (if memory serves) when he won his Grand Annual so hopefully he got a few people into profit.

Grand old character.

Back