Equine Retirements, Long Term Injuries and Departures

Which bookmakers are best to use if you want to be able to cash out AP bets? Or is it pot luck as to how quickly they adjust for injured horses?

Bet365 and SkyBet the best IMO. Others give less generous cash out terms (not that the two mentioned are particularly generous)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Which bookmakers are best to use if you want to be able to cash out AP bets? Or is it pot luck as to how quickly they adjust for injured horses?

Bet365 without a doubt....Lad, Hills....won't cash out anti-post unless its a rolling accumulator with lots of winners.

Hills almost halve your cash out in 24 hours, 365 will let you cash out fully.

Last edited:
He must be so fragile. I remember Kim Baileys Longshanks that used to run in the National was only ever exercised by swimming or something. No idea how trainers get horses like that fit.

He must be so fragile. I remember Kim Baileys Longshanks that used to run in the National was only ever exercised by swimming or something. No idea how trainers get horses like that fit.

I loved Longshanks, have a fab pic of him from an owners day I was lucky enough to be invited to. (Forgive me for spoiling it somewhat ) He used to do 3 hours a day on the walker only as he was so fragile. They were aiming at the GN that year, he didn't get there, the next year PTS after breaking a leg on the gallops. I was absolutely gutted. Longshanks 1a.jpg

He was going to be retired after the National as well I believe. To my knowledge Kim was one of the first trainers to do a daily blog with beautiful pictures and a very witty commentary. I used to love reading them every day. I’m so pleased to see him doing well again. Actually I think he had been retired when it happened.

Last edited:
I loved Longshanks, have a fab pic of him from an owners day I was lucky enough to be invited to. (Forgive me for spoiling it somewhat ) He used to do 3 hours a day on the walker only as he was so fragile. They were aiming at the GN that year, he didn't get there, the next year PTS after breaking a leg on the gallops. I was absolutely gutted.
attachment.php

Well that's solved a puzzle. I came across this photo recently and couldn't remember who the hell it was. I seem to remember now you sent it to me a few years ago. Thanks K, hope you're keeping well.

Yorkhill retired

Will be here in the Cheltenham stable of Racheal Kneller's equine base at Prestbury, overlooking the racecourse.

Last edited:
Yorkhill, Might Bite and Don Poli all in one season.

Glad the mad glorious fuckers all got out in one piece. Yorkhill is such a what could have been story.

He was going to be retired after the National as well I believe. To my knowledge Kim was one of the first trainers to do a daily blog with beautiful pictures and a very witty commentary. I used to love reading them every day. I’m so pleased to see him doing well again. Actually I think he had been retired when it happened.

I remember emailing Kim Bailey when it was announced and he told me it happened on the gallops. I am pretty sure he hadn't been retired. Think this pic is 2006 when he didn't make it to the GN. He was a huge, beautiful, gentle horse. I stood for ages feeding him extra strong mints. Kim came up and I said I am going to sneak him out when no one is looking- he said you wouldn't be the first to want to try :(

From Nicky's blog tonight

Dusart is progressing very well after a very nasty incident where he managed to stake himself and I must admit, we thought that was it for him, certainly for this season, but I’m delighted to say that his injuries have healed remarkably and he arrived back at Seven Barrows on Monday with the view to at least getting him moving again. It’s much to early to say when he may run again but I am very optimistic that he might make Punchestown, or maybe, and it’s a big fat maybe, he could even be ready in time for Aintree. He’s only had one run and won, which always puts us in a difficult position because he obviously needs plenty more experience but he looks great, is already cantering and there is at least some good news coming from Seven Barrows!

I was thinking about Yorkhill earlier. Connections said how he was quirky and jumped left much of the time.....and then he retires due to a tendon injury to his right leg. Mmmmmm.....isn’t that bleeding obvious? Why didn’t they scan his leg? Pretty sure it’s been grumbling for a while. And that’s why he was “quirky” and jumping away from the pain in his right leg.

We had a horse on a free lease called Awesome George who was really tricky (and quirky) to ride at home. He had come from Alan Kings and arrived with a very mild heat in both front legs which went up and down. Anyway we ran him twice and he ducked out when going well coming into a fence and unseated the jockey. Eventually I convinced the boss to scan and there was obvious tendon damage. So he went back to his owner and as he was a youngish horse, I said to her, if you do want to run him again, give him two not one year off as he needs to recover mentally. Which fortunately she did. He ended up being leased to another yard and became a multiple winner Point to Pointing.

Delta Work out for season after picking up a small fracture at Leopardstown

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back