Equine Retirements, Long Term Injuries and Departures

Why pretend it hasn't happened.

Why not put a highlight reel of the most gruesome leg breaks for an end of year racing awards? Clockwork Orange style.

The only hope for jump racing is that it lives on the idea that these aren't just lumps of meat forced to run and jump beyond what they ordinarily would do. That there is a duty of care and respect for the animal. Acting as if there is no emotion involved from the connections and race fans does no one any favours, even if its the macho stance. Might as well punt on the cartoon racing.

We all know that horses die on (and off) the track, it doesnt mean its not upsetting to see for most. Adopting the stance they are only lumps of meat at the end of the day, sure fuckem, and if you cant stand the heat get out of the kitchen does the sport no good - not commercially or morally.

We had the exact same argument about RTE showing Nicholls Canyon falling and dying at Leopardstown on the main 6pm news a few years back.

Last edited:
Why not put a highlight reel of the most gruesome leg breaks for an end of year racing awards? Clockwork Orange style.

The only hope for jump racing is that it lives on the idea that these aren't just lumps of meat forced to run and jump beyond what they ordinarily would do. That there is a duty of care and respect for the animal. Acting as if there is no emotion involved from the connections and race fans does no one any favours, even if its the macho stance. Might as well punt on the cartoon racing.

We all know that horses die on (and off) the track, it doesnt mean its not upsetting to see for most. Adopting the stance they are only lumps of meat at the end of the day, sure fuckem, and if you cant stand the heat get out of the kitchen does the sport no good - not commercially or morally.

We had the exact same argument about RTE showing Nicholls Canyon falling and dying at Leopardstown on the main 6pm news a few years back.

Well said, sir.

Hawk Wing as I said to you at the time I remember the late,Great Colm Murray reading the Sports News one Sunday night and showing a fatal fall at Leopardstown twice before saying a few words about the horse and offering commiserations to his connections -I saw nothing wrong with that.

Hawk Wing as I said to you at the time I remember the late,Great Colm Murray reading the Sports News one Sunday night and showing a fatal fall at Leopardstown twice before saying a few words about the horse and offering commiserations to his connections -I saw nothing wrong with that.

And I thought it would be better to show him winning his Cheltenham grade 1 rather than him dying (where they didnt even show the winning of the race, just the fatal fall), or not show the visuals.

Very sad. myself and Ed were beside the rail when the stable girl was walking back the track with the horses reins in her hands and in tears. That was incredibly sobering.

On the drive home I passed Paul nolans box

This is the brutal side of the game.

Yes one being carried out apparently The article says the steroid was in a cream used for a skin condition...not sure that would explain it showing up in his blood/urine surely?

You’d think not in the levels it would have to hit to show as a positive - but stranger things have happened ( mostly to the trainer ( allegedly!)

Such a beautiful horse, so talented - and just 3. It’s really not fair sometimes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The Willie Mullins trained Keskonrisk was lost at Navan last weekend.

I was shocked to see his name on the list of deceased horses this week. I know he hadn’t raced many times but he was mentioned quite a lot on the Cheltenham previews I listened to and I hadn’t realised he’d been injured at the weekend.

I was shocked to see his name on the list of deceased horses this week. I know he hadn’t raced many times but he was mentioned quite a lot on the Cheltenham previews I listened to and I hadn’t realised he’d been injured at the weekend.

Lydia Hislop was praising his run at the weekend.

Back