Equine Retirements, Long Term Injuries and Departures

I was in the civil service in 1992 and my mate who introduced me to punting in the late 80s was a proper shrewdy and he had £3k on Lochsong for the Ayr Gold Cup at 10/1. He'd just been promoted to EO level and quit to go pro.

I lost touch sometime in the mid 90s but saw him about six years ago. He actually got married in the mean time and joined some sort of religious cult. He couldn't handle the stress of punting being his ownly form of income.

Just awful hearing about John Hills - I knew him and his wife quite well back in my Lambourn days and they were lovely people. Huge condolences to his family.

Then stop being ridiculous and pretending you know/care far more than the trainers and owners who are happy to run there. Its not a nanny sport, if trainers and owners aren't happy, they don't run. If jockeys aren't happy they refuse to ride. I'm not going to carry this on on here - it's not the point of this thread. Plus I really can't be arsed to waste my time - I've got much bigger things to think about than your silly attempts to look clever.

Back on topic - the girl who had Blowing Wind will be devistated - I met her a few years ago and she absolutely adored him, he was a lovely chap. RIP :(

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

After Richard Hughes' article I think only one of us is looking stupid now .:rolleyes:

Retirements, Long Term Injuries and Departures 2014

REALLY??? You're STILL carrying on with this on completely the wrong thread???!!!!!

Yes, the one with enough time and childishness to still be attempting to point score. If I had time and the inclination I'd look for it for you, but I have neither - plus I forgot about this weeks ago!

Seriously......

Last edited:
This is a thread to pay respects to departing and departed heroes and heroines of the sport. Would you two mind taking your argument somewhere else?

This is a thread to pay respects to departing and departed heroes and heroines of the sport. Would you two mind taking your argument somewhere else?

The point was about poor Artful Lady who died due to the failure of Warwick racecourse to take steps to reduce the dangerous nature of that bend especially when it rain on fast ground .

trudi takes the view that unless one has ever worked in racing your opinion is worthless shortly after the race it seems many people in racing took a similar view to mine .

Retirements, Long Term Injuries and Departures 2014

I've pointed out twice now that it shouldn't be continued on here cruella - I completely agree with your first sentence. It did start out being about a deceased horse!

Ardross - grow up and get over the fact that I called you out for being ridiculous. I don't recall any suggestions from you before the meeting that it would be unsafe - so to come out with what you did after was unfair on the many people (ie the trainers and jockeys who were actually AT the course that day) who didn't have an issue and basically implying that every one of them was asking for trouble by running.

As for the suggestion about me not thinking anyone involved doesn't have a valid opinion - you couldn't be further from the truth as you well know. It just happens that this time I think you were wrong. Sorry you don't like it, but frankly to keep dragging this out is getting more than a bit pathetic. start a new thread or bring it to PM if you want any more attention from me, I won't be doing it on this thread.

Here's hoping that whatever went wrong with cirrus is soon mended.

Last edited:
Five equine fatalities at Clomel last night. Ground changed during races to good to firm, four of the five were pulled up with catastrophic injuries as opposed to falls.

Nx

Just read that in the RP - can't be right running on ground that is causing that, can it?

12 year old Beckermet put down as a result of injuries sustained in his 159th race. RIP.

VETERAN Flat performer Beckermet, who ran 159 times during a ten-year career, has died at the age of 12.

With Roger Fisher for the first portion of his career, Beckermet was purchased by the late David Chapman in 2010 and was trained by his granddaughter Ruth Carr.

A 14-time winner, including three Listed races and £262,701 in prize-money, Beckermet's last run was at Musselburgh where he sustained a joint injury deemed by vets too serious to recover from.

Carr, writing on her website, said on Sunday: "Our great old character Beckermet pulled up sore at Musselburgh on Friday and was seen by our team of vets on Saturday morning.

"The x-rays showed a joint injury from which he could not recover, not even to be retired to the paddock.

"I remember that grandad was determined he was going to buy him and I thought £16,500 was too much for an eight-year-old but I was wrong!

"He loved his turn out and lunging and I was quite happy I could get him very close to race fitness in the lunge ring and a spin at Southwell after racing would put him right for his first run of the year.

"Becks was a real character - a bit like a grumpy old man but all at Mowbray House loved him and will miss him."

Back