Equine Retirements, Long Term Injuries and Departures

Wasn't aware of this till I read the Trainer's blog, but Up To Something was fatally injured at Chepstow last Friday. A bold-jumping front runner who gave his all in every race.

Harry Topper out for the next season with a tendon injury sustained in February at Newbury. Will be ten by the time he returns.

Retirements, Long Term Injuries and Departures 2014

The Wow Signal retired due to unspecified injury

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
One of my favourite horses of all time. Can still picture him walking round the pre parade ring before the Ebor one year. What a 'garden' horse he would be for someone. I hope he has a long and happy retirement; it would be nice to see him at the racetrack before racing sometimes as well.

Powerstation (15 yo ) put to sleep at kinsale p2p today.
One of the hardy annuals that roared up the hill every year at Cheltenham Festival to snatch a place at a big price.
The Fat Frog syndicate sure had fun with him.

Powerstation (15 yo ) put to sleep at kinsale p2p today.
One of the hardy annuals that roared up the hill every year at Cheltenham Festival to snatch a place at a big price.
The Fat Frog syndicate sure had fun with him.

That is really sad to hear about Powerstation.

Better news is that Merry King was retired (chronic breathing problem) in one piece. Shame as I thought he had a huge amount of potential.

Cinders and Ashes retired. Gave me a nice result in the 2012 Supreme but never showed much since

Happy retirement fella

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

There's long term injuries and then there was

Jockey granted license 704 days after horror fall, where he was left dead for six seconds.'
Breaking news that Brian Toomey has been granted a professional Jump jockeys' licence, having recovered from the incident at Perth.
Toomey said. "It’s been a long road back but the one thing that has driven me throughout my recovery, and the main thing that has kept me going, was a desire to be a jockey again, and I am delighted that I’ve been cleared to ride by Dr Hill.
“Following the accident, the paramedics said that I was dead for six seconds, but they managed to resuscitate me. Then when I made it to the hospital they thought that I only had a 3% chance of survival. Now here I am, two years on, ready to race ride again."

There's long term injuries and then there was

Jockey granted license 704 days after horror fall, where he was left dead for six seconds.'
Breaking news that Brian Toomey has been granted a professional Jump jockeys' licence, having recovered from the incident at Perth.
Toomey said. "It’s been a long road back but the one thing that has driven me throughout my recovery, and the main thing that has kept me going, was a desire to be a jockey again, and I am delighted that I’ve been cleared to ride by Dr Hill.
“Following the accident, the paramedics said that I was dead for six seconds, but they managed to resuscitate me. Then when I made it to the hospital they thought that I only had a 3% chance of survival. Now here I am, two years on, ready to race ride again."

Takes some guts to want to come back after that! Very best of luck to him.

Great to see Brian Toomey back - I spoke to the Sutcliffe's who are good friends of BT's at Ascot Sales a couple of years ago and they said he was determined to get back riding in some capacity, will be brilliant to see him riding again.

Sorry to hear about Powerstation - a grand old campaigner.

More jockey news - Welsh amateur Nick Williams has retired from the saddle, US jockey Garrett Gomez has done likewise and Alice Mills rode her final point-to-point winner yesterday and is turning professional.

Martin

Andrew Thornton facing 8 weeks on sidelines after fracturing arm in fall at Fontwell yesterday, 16 short of 1000 career wins.

Back