Equine Retirements, Long Term Injuries and Departures

Can still remember watching it - we must have had a runner there ( or I wouldn't have had it on!) the rest of the program was eerie. Simon holt saying that something had gone very wrong with best mate was really quite chilling ( and I was non-plussed about him!)
Then the elation as the yard won the next race - proof about ups and downs if ever it was needed !!

I was there that day and when the announcer informed everyone Best Mate had died you could hear a pin drop, people were in tears and you could tell no one wanted to race on, a lot of racegoers just went home.

Last edited:
Dolniya retired after found to have fractured her cannon bone in the latter stages of the Arc (probably when she got knocked sideways as Treve came with her run).

Jollyallan also probably out for the season. From the RP stable tour "he is nowhere near being back in training at the moment and plans are on hold, which is a shame. Fingers crossed he makes a full recovery"

Dodging Bullets has suffered a minor setback and will miss intended return in Schloer Chase. Nicholls hoping to get him ready for Tingle Creek.

Boogie in the Barn's fatal fall at Wetherby was a very sad way for Charlie Longsdon's best ever day as a trainer to end.

We left before the last race so didn't know about it till we got home. Terribly sad for a stable that should have been on top of the world last night.

Red Cadeaux retired after sustaining an injury in the Melbourne Cup, although at the moment the injury is not life threatening. Full details on racing post, I can't work out the link bit.

Just had had a quick look at his stats, 54 starts, 7 wins, with a further 20 placings & 1500 quid short of 5 million prize money. What a horse.

i hope the injury does not get worse and fingers crossed this wonderful old warrior has a long, happy and healthy retirement.

What a global superstar he has been. Thanks for the memories Red. Yes I do have a soft spot for him! :)

A real downer after what had been a fairytale result in the race. Probably the most popular horse in Australia.

Back