Equine Retirements, Long Term Injuries and Departures

Kingsgate Native retired to the British Racing School after 10 years racing. He came back from both an unsuccessful stud career and serious tendon injury and managed to win again this season at the age of 11. Hope he loves his retirement

Kingsgate Native retired to the British Racing School after 10 years racing. He came back from both an unsuccessful stud career and serious tendon injury and managed to win again this season at the age of 11. Hope he loves his retirement

Brilliant horse - love him. Hope he has a long and happy retirement.

Some good quotes from David Bridgewater

"He's given us some unbelievable days. It is like anything else, you will miss it when it isn't there.
"There is a big void now. That is why it has been so hard for Simon to make the decision to retire him.
"It's like having a wife for 30 years and then she runs off with someone else. It is a huge hole to fill.
"But I know it is the right thing to do. For the last 18 months the writing has been on the wall.
"He has been harder to get fit and any horse has got to want to do it. I'm not one of these people who will flog them regardless, and neither is Simon.
"Over that time, 'The Bolster' has been looking after himself and I've been very much looking after him. I'd like to think we've done each other proud."

Last edited:
Always liked The Giant Bolster. One of those that was a real trier in Grades probably just a touch beyond his talent. Hope he has a long retirement.

Another one retired is Jim Goldie's Dhaular Dhar - he was never exactly world beating but a fantastic dual code horse especially on the Northern tracks like Musselburgh

have a long a happy one Dazza

We lost Barney's Honour to a freak accident at the yard over the Summer - had been looking forward to having a crack at Aintree with him.

Sad-but-good to see Kingsgate Native and The Giant Bolster retiring after their distinguished careers.

But, from the sublime to the ridiculous, yet another two year old sprinter staggers off to stud, seemingly totally clapped out after a few months in training. This time it's Prince Of Lir.

Looks like the Commonwealth Cup is a waste of money.

Glancing through Unanimite form I noticed Kamool was fatally injured at Plumpton a few weeks ago. Awful for connections who had plenty to look forward to with this horse

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The whole thing is so fragile. Completely took for granted that he would be around for another 3/4 years. A proper Grade 1 horse and the JLT win remains one of the most stunning festival performances.

He was such an exciting horse; I felt he was the one that would become one of the all time greats. Beautiful horse. Terrible news.

One of the most depressing weeks I can remember for a while, starting with the dreadful news about Freddy Tylicki and now this on top of the other equine fatalities this week, some not so high profile but no doubt just as upsetting to those involved. In this instance it seems all Vautour was doing was grazing in a paddock with Shaneshill and the injury was discovered when a girl went out to feed them.

Last edited:
Back