Equine Retirements, Long Term Injuries and Departures

Vautour was a wonderful horse with three stellar Cheltenham performances on his CV and his death is sad news indeed.

That said, it's as nothing compared to the fate which befell Tylicki this week.

Words from an acquaintance of nine who works at the racecourse

"I follow 99.9% of winners back to the parade ring after each race at Cheltenham and Vautour is the only one i've ever seen still pulling going back up the horsewalk after a race when he won the Supreme Novices. Ruby was struggling to hold him.

I've been following horses up there since 2006 and i've never seen a horse so fresh after running in a 2m championship race. it was like he hadn't even ran. Was pretty incredible."

Last edited:
One of the most depressing weeks I can remember for a while, starting with the dreadful news about Freddy Tylicki and now this on top of the other equine fatalities this week, some not so high profile but no doubt just as upsetting to those involved. In this instance it seems all Vautour was doing was grazing in a paddock with Shaneshill and the injury was discovered when a girl went out to feed them.

Yes it truly has been a desperate few days for the sport
I see Freddy's fundraiser is in excess of a 125k now, Bless him and his family.

I'm absolutely gutted about this, felt so unreal yesterday when I first read the news. I feel sorry for the stable staff and connections of Vautour, and for the racing world as a whole, he was such an exceptional horse. His performance in the JLT will long live in the memory, it was an absolute masterclass in jumping around Cheltenham. Such a classy, classy horse and one that I will miss dearly. RIP Vautour.

It's bad enough when we lose any horse, but when it's absolutely your favourite horse in training, and when it appears to have happened in such an innocuous way, it is even harder to absorb.

Gaz's use of the word "exceptional" to describe Vautour, is something I wholly subscribe to, and the tragedy of never knowing what else he might have been capable of, is something I'm honestly finding difficult to come to terms with. I will get over it eventually, but this game has a way of bringing you down to Earth with an almighty bump, when you least expect it to.

RIP Vautour, and thanks for the memories.

Last edited:
In the 3/ Nov RP tour Gary said "suffered a condylar fracture after Plumpton, cantering again, couldn't be more pleased & goes straight to the Tingle Creek"

Not surprised and quite thankful really. He was truly one of the greats of NH racing - will never forget his dominance at his peak or indeed his remarkable comeback in the Champion Chase this year - I was there and backed him as I couldn't believe he looked so well. A horse who combined sheer brilliance with matinee idol looks (and knew it!).

A true great. Thanks for some fabulous memories especially this years QM

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Gutted we won't ever see him on a racetrack again but happy he retires in good health.

Enjoy the retirement Sprinter, you're a living legend.

Sorry that we won't see him race again but also glad that he retires safe and sound. Hope you have a long and happy one Sprinter.

Wonderful wonderful horse, that champion chase, THAT tingle creek ( up yours sancerre !( rip) that comeback - simply awesome. Happy happy hunting field

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back