Equine Retirements, Long Term Injuries and Departures

What awful news,
RIP Our Duke and thoughts with the Harringtons and his connections

What horrible news about Our Duke - the sky looked the limit after the Irish National - such a gorgeous old fashioned chasing type .

Sorry not to see Cue Card at Sundown . I am far from sure that it is fair to say he should have retired last year . Had Waiting Patiently not run and Cue Card had thrashed Frodon and Top Notch a different view might have been taken. The Cue Card of the Ascot Chase would have won the Ryanair IMO . The thrashing of Balko des Flos at Aintree suggests it was a very weak affair and that UDS either did not get home or was not at this best .

What horrible news about Our Duke - the sky looked the limit after the Irish National - such a gorgeous old fashioned chasing type .

Sorry not to see Cue Card at Sundown . I am far from sure that it is fair to say he should have retired last year . Had Waiting Patiently not run and Cue Card had thrashed Frodon and Top Notch a different view might have been taken. The Cue Card of the Ascot Chase would have won the Ryanair IMO . The thrashing of Balko des Flos at Aintree suggests it was a very weak affair and that UDS either did not get home or was not at this best .

that's a bit of a leap, you surely can't take Aintree as the true running of balko des flos

surely just a textbook case of a horse still feeling effects of chelt

he finished 13 lengths behind 153 rated Sizing Granite

balko des flos was finishing in same territory as solid 160 horses at leopardstown over christmas

not saying ryanair was a great race - it clearly wasnt - but there's no way aintree showed the true balko des flos and i would be 100 percent sure his future runs wil lprove that point

They're doing an post mortem to see if it was heat exhaustion that caused the heart attack. It's why the 3;50 race was cancelled. Feel so sorry for her connections.

Our Dansant four year old half sister to Apache Gold smashed a pastern and had to be put to sleep.
A major blow to her breeder and to trainer Tom Hogan who had turned her inside out in six months.
A Finsceal Fior two year old filly is the last apache of this line , has been broken in and will be ready to go on once she gets some May grass, if we get any !

Our Dansant four year old half sister to Apache Gold smashed a pastern and had to be put to sleep.
A major blow to her breeder and to trainer Tom Hogan who had turned her inside out in six months.
A Finsceal Fior two year old filly is the last apache of this line , has been broken in and will be ready to go on once she gets some May grass, if we get any !

I'm real sorry to hear that Eddie.

Connections of Our Duke like all that lose their horses must be gutted especially as he was in the top drawer of chasers.

It just goes to show how quickly this game can change. One minute Jessica Harrington has 2 Gold Cup horses the next minute one is dead R.I.P. and the other out for God knows how long

Last edited:

Tough break Ed - good luck with the next one

Back