Equine Retirements, Long Term Injuries and Departures

Denman_Kauto_Star-1280x531.jpg

Terrible news.
That 2011 Gold Cup when him and Kauto turned for home was incredible.
Actually just watched it back and got a lump in my throat. Just be going soft. Terrible loss

Awful news :(, he was such a star - loved him.

Sad to think that it is only really Neptune Collonges left from that cohort of great staying chasers (I'm thinking mainly of Denman, Kauto and Exotic Dancer but there was also Madison du Berlais who beat The Tank a couple of times if I recall correctly).

RIP Denman

Gutted to hear about Denman - how could you not admire such a gritty warrior who truly wore his heart on his sleeve. Fell for him watching him over hurdles at Bangor I think.

I guess his heart problem possibly hastened his relatively early demise - 18 isn't that old these days (we have a 28yo out in the paddock at the moment) and looking at the most recent photos of Denman he did look an old man. But at least he had a great retirement hunting and team chasing before returning to nearby Ditcheat.

He looked quite lame when he last paraded at Cheltenham; I felt then that I would never see him again. But still feel in a state of shock today hearing that he's gone. What a horse. What a truly great horse. RIP

Denman was the absolute epitome of a staying chaser. He was immense around Newbury but I'll always remember that utter demolition job in the 2008 Gold Cup. Kauto quite rightly will always be remembered as the greatest chaser of that era but on that particular day Denman was untouchable and probably put up a bigger performance than KS ever did around Cheltenham.

RIP tank

How lucky were we that when Kauto Star came along, so too did Denman, and each of them could demonstrate how brilliant the other one was? A golden era, I miss them both.

Farewell old boy.

How lucky were we that when Kauto Star came along, so too did Denman, and each of them could demonstrate how brilliant the other one was? A golden era, I miss them both.

Farewell old boy.

...and then Nipper goes and wins the National to frank the form even more!

He's responsible for so many great memories, both on his own, and with his epic battles with Kauto.

I agree with Bear, his Gold Cup win against Kauto, as much as I find it hard to admit, was probably better than any of Kauto's performances around HQ. For me though I'll always remember him best for what was the greatest weight carrying performance in my living memory when he won that Hennessy. To do that to a field of such quality, giving so much weight away, was simply awesome.

Thanks for the memories fella, RIP.

Back