Euro 2016 betting thread

France's squad will be named tomorrow night.

Here is l'équipe readers selection

[h=2]Votre liste des 23 au 10 mai[/h][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Llloris, Mandanda, Areola - Varane, Koscielny, Evra, Sakho, Sagna, Kurzawa, Jallet, Mathieu - Pogba, Matuidi, Diarra, Kanté, Sissoko, Cabaye - Griezmann, Coman, Payet, Martial, Gignac, Giroud.

Griezmann definitely starts in the front 3. Martial probably/possibly too. I would also have Coman, and then Payet next. After that, due to experience, a much better record for France and despite a shocking few months, I would say for Descamps Giroud is ahead of Gignac too. So, all in all, I don't see the value here.
[/FONT]

Griezmann definitely starts in the front 3. Martial probably/possibly too. I would also have Coman, and then Payet next. After that, due to experience, a much better record for France and despite a shocking few months, I would say for Descamps Giroud is ahead of Gignac too. So, all in all, I don't see the value here.[/SIZE][/FONT]

[/COLOR]

Where you rank Gignac in the squad is of no relevance weighing up this bet. Gignac has started as the main striker two of three games in 2016, Griezmann has started on the right hand side of the three. You have to remember he wouldn't have been starting had Benzema not fallen out of favour and Girroud out of form as I said in post#2.

1 goal in 2016 is hardly a meaningful stat given they have played 2 games!

Last edited:
If you look at the make-up of the French team, how likely is it that he'll start? He has 1 goal for France in 2014, 1 in 2015 and 1 in 2016 (so far).

The starting point is given this is a new format, how many goals do you think a player will need to 1. Be top scorer 2. Win the E/W part

1. 6 2. 5 maybe 4

Looking at it though, no Benzema, no Villa, maybe it'll be another one like the last Euros with 6 players tied on 3, there's probably no standout goalscorer in the whole competition.

1. 6 2. 5 maybe 4

Looking at it though, no Benzema, no Villa, maybe it'll be another one like the last Euros with 6 players tied on 3, there's probably no standout goalscorer in the whole competition.

Using a golf analogy I'd have 4 goals as the clubhouse lead. Get 4 and your in a playoff, anymore and you lift the trophy.

I would say (given it has the same number of games now as a World Cup) the top scorer should be 5-6 goals?

[h=2]La liste des 23[/h]Gardiens : Hugo Lloris, Steve Mandanda, Benoît Costil

Défenseurs : Raphael Varane, Laurent Koscielny, Eliaquim Mangala, Jérémy Mathieu, Patrice Evra, Bacary Sagna, Christophe Jallet, Lucas Digne

Milieux : Paul Pogba, Blaise Matuidi, Lassana Diarra, N’Golo Kanté, Yohan Cabaye, Moussa Sissoko

Attaquants : Antoine Griezmann, Dimitri Payet, Anthony Martial, Kingsley Coman, Olivier Giroud, André-Pierre Gignac

Les réservistes : Alphonse Areola, Hatem Ben Arfa, Kevin Gameiro, Alexandre Lacazette, Adrien Rabiot, Morgan Schneiderlin, Djibril Sidibé, Samuel Umtiti

FYI - most of the media & quotes from Deschamps refer to Giroud, Griezmann and Martial - no mention of Gignac. That's not to say he won't start, but letting you know he isn't being spoken about as much.

Spain squad named. No costa or paco alcaer. Aritz aduritz must have a good chance of starting, still 40s with some firms.

Sent from my SM-G360F using Tapatalk

The format for this year's tournament is hopeless, 36 matches will be played in the group stages in order to eliminate just 8 teams. The best format is two qualifiers from each group of four, it encourages more attacking play because the value of a win compared to a draw, or even two draws, really matters. This year teams will play more defensively because the avoidance of defeat should be enough to get them through to the knockout stage.

Do people think this factor is sufficiently reflected in the goals markets?

The format for this year's tournament is hopeless, 36 matches will be played in the group stages in order to eliminate just 8 teams. The best format is two qualifiers from each group of four, it encourages more attacking play because the value of a win compared to a draw, or even two draws, really matters. This year teams will play more defensively because the avoidance of defeat should be enough to get them through to the knockout stage.

In the other hand there are some really poor teams in the tournament that normally wouldn't be there. Should be a few hammering.

Winning your group is going to be pretty valuable, chances are you play a team that finished 3rd.

Sent from my SM-G360F using Tapatalk

Could not agree more with you overall sentiment. The Euros was quality over quantity. I can't answer your goals query, that's for someone smarter than me.

In the other hand there are some really poor teams in the tournament that normally wouldn't be there. Should be a few hammering.

Winning your group is going to be pretty valuable, chances are you play a team that finished 3rd.

I'm not sure we'll see many hammerings. There don't seem to be many outstanding teams capable of inflicting big defeats and most of the weaker teams should be able to make themselves hard to beat. The two Irish teams are among the least fancied but I'd expect at least that much of them.

I don't think there is one. There are glaring weaknesses in every team.

A lot of people are raving about the French squad. I can understand the fanfare about Griezmann, Pogba, Martial and Coman in particular and there are classy players like Matuidi and Payet in there but I'm questioning any squad with Sissoko, Mangala, Lass, Jallet, Sagna and Digne in there. Nothing special at all.

Germany are badly lacking in quality in both full back positions and up top. Podolski FFS.

Spain are lacking the Villa/Torres of previous competition wins and I think Del Bosque is past his peak. Rumours are that Casillas will still be in goal which would be hilarious.

Belgium have atrocious full backs so it seems like the Spurs centre halves will have to play there which is nonsensical, but Wilmots is a goon. Why you'd split one of the best pairings in Europe this season is beyond me.

Italy are in a big transition and are missing their best two midfielders and long gone are the realms of top class forwards they used to have.

Portugal could shock a few but their defence is questionable. There's some bloody good young talent in their squad though so ones to keep an eye on.

We've got a good squad, but the defence worries me. Give this current crop a couple more years and they could be something very decent indeed.

Anyone got a list of the penalty-takers for the qualified teams? I generally like to have these yokes onside in major tourneys, in the Top Goalscorer markets.

Looking at the list of top-scorers over the last several Euro tourneys, the only midfielder who appears on the list is Michel Platini, and that was 32 years ago (and, who knows, he may have paid a few people off to make space for him).

Looks like a market where you absolutely need to focus on strikers alone - even if penalty-takers are midfielders (I was having a sideways look at Iniesta, before I checked the stats).

Last edited:
Looking at the list of top-scorers over the last several Euro tourneys, the only midfielder who appears on the list is Michel Platini, and that was 32 years ago (and, who knows, he may have paid a few people off to make space for him).

Looks like a market where you absolutely need to focus on strikers alone - even if penalty-takers are midfielders (I was having a sideways look at Iniesta, before I checked the stats).

good point. Never thought of that. Woukd appear that Strikers are quite often the highest scorers in teams.

im also going to back the goalkeeper to make the most fcking saves too

Last edited:
good point. Never thought of that. Woukd appear that Strikers are quite often the highest scorers in teams.

im also going to back the goalkeeper to make the most fcking saves too

Yes, it does seem rather than obvious thing to have said, looking back on it.

It was really thinking aloud that I would be wasting my time, as the pattern is clearly fixed - much like engaging in a dialogue with yourself. ;)

Back