Fairyhouse Sunday

Market must have been suspended because I cannot find any prices on oddschecker or the 3/1 on the magic sign's site

Is that official Gal? and has it been announced? If so, there goes the 3/1....

Not 'official' as such, but seemingly as good as.

"Muirhead is likely to miss this weekend's Bar One Racing Hatton's Grace Hurdle at Fairyhouse.
Noel Meade will instead rely on Aitmatov, an impressive winner of the Lismullen Hurdle on his last start and winner of the Hatton's Grace in 2007.
Meade is now thinking of running Muirhead, who finished second to Solwhit in a Punchestown Grade One on his seasonal debut, in the boylesports.com International Hurdle at Cheltenham on December 12.
"I think it will be just Aitmatov. I had a chat with Muirhead's owner and I think he'll miss it. Barry Geraghty will ride Aitmatov," said Meade.
"He's in very good shape, he's come out of his last race very well. He's got loads of ability and on his day he is a pretty serious competitor.
"Edward O'Grady is bringing back Catch Me to hurdles after running over fences and there are a couple of others with chances.
"I think we'll wait with Muirhead, possibly for a two-mile race and maybe the Bula (Boylesports)," he told At The Races".

Source: PA

Last edited:
Think it is bizarre that they are missing the Hattons Grace with Muirhead - it looks a relatively weak enough renewal to me and he would have a great chance.

I wish he was running because that would make Catch Me a decent price!!!! Massively underrated hurdler Catch Me particularly over 2m4f with a bit of give. Not many would beat him under those conditions. I took advantage of some of those free bet sign ups last year and this horse carried my money twice..

I am very uneasy about Catch Me going back over hurdles. He is one to take on. Two chases, including a fall is not any sort of a prep for this race. Catch Me struck gold last year by being campaigened very shrewdly. ,This smacks of a plan B. Id much rather have seen him stay chasing.

Why would you much rather see Catch Me stay over fences?

It's hard to turn down a favourite's chance in a Grade 1, what's to be lost by taking the opportunity?

Trainers sometimes send chasers back over hurdles to exploit an out of date handicap mark. Paul Nicholls does it often. Is it harmful?

Plenty of other people seem to agree it's ok to mix it between hurdles and fences. Otherwise there wouldn't be all those Grand National horses who spend more time hurdling in order to protect their handicap ratings over fences.

I have not said he should not be re-routed over hurdles, I dont know why they went chasing in the first place. This is very much plan B and Im not sure he has a favs chance. He is not a 2-1 chance, thats for sure.

I was surprised to see that Willie Mullins has no runners in either the Royal Bond or the Drinmore. Is this an indication that his horses aren't as forward as he might have hoped?

I was amazed when I saw Pandorama at 7s this morning-I would have made him clear favourite.If he jumps the first cleanly he could shorten dramatically in the inrunning betting.

Catch Me looks like nap material tomorrow. Cleaned up in these races last year and conditions will be no problem to him. Reckon Catch Me will go off at something like evens tomorrow

Really looking forward to tommorrow's card I must say.

Deise Dan looks likely to ensure a decent gallop in the Royal Bond, which should aid Dunguib as much as Some Present or any of the rest of the field. Hard to look beyond the Fenton horse and whilst Some Present should turn around form with Sweeps Hill, he looked a shade awkward again at Cheltenham (didn't like his head carriage after the last) and isn't one I'd be backing with any degree of confidence at present (or at any point in the future, if his trainer's record is anything to go by).

The Drinmore looks an absolute cracker. Not normally prone to cliche's myself, but you really could make a case for any of them. The one thing I am sure of is that 7/2 about Pesoto (surely bigger tommorrow) is absolutely crazy and he must be taken on.

I could make a fairly strong case for most, but China Rock looks a particularly big price. Plenty of interesting long term prospects in the race (Pandorama and Alpha Ridge both particularly have the scope to make cracking chasers in particular, but neither are big enough in the market tommorrow to tempt me over a trip that may be slightly on the sharp side).

Any of the Irish brigade going? Type of meeting I'd give my right arm to be home for.

Last edited:
Edward O Grady wont hear of Catch me getting beat today. Got talking to one of his head lads in Cashel last night I know to say hello to. They are also very bullish about their horse in the big novice chase but have heard that Pandorama has got his act together jumping out to the left and hence will take all the beating. I think Mr Warbucks has an outstanding e/w chance in the same race at 16/1!

Last edited:
Just looked on the Fairyhouse website and it says :

Racemeeting today CANCELLED

29/11/09
Fairyhouse cancelled today, track waterlogged following 20mm rain overnight.

Last edited:
Re-arranged for Wednesday.

Trivia question: who was the last Irish NH jockey to go through the card? Hardly a tough one!

Back