Festival Preview Nights

I don't know where to put this so please move if required....

Ireland's champion trainer Willie Mullins previews all his runners at the Cheltenham festival 2015
Mullins has been the leading trainer at The Festival in three of the last four years and has registered 33 winners, the highest total ever by an Irish-based trainer.
"This is definitely our strongest team going to Cheltenham, both in terms of numbers and quality," said the trainer. "The last couple of years we have had about 40 horses going over, but this year I think we could have another 10 on top of that.
"It is what we are in the game for - to go to Cheltenham with as many horses as possible who have a decent chance."
Please see below for the trainer's comments on his entries at The Festival
Arctic Fire: "I am not discounting Arctic Fire in the Stan James Champion Hurdle. He is improving all the time.
"He was beaten a head in the Vincent O'Brien County Hurdle last year and horses have come on from that to win the Champion Hurdle.
"He has always shown me plenty at home and when he was a three-year-old I thought this fella was better than any of them. I still don't think we have seen the best of him.
"He will love the strong pace at Cheltenham and we know he likes the track. If he doesn't win at Cheltenham, he will win a good race over hurdles at some point."
Alvisio Ville: "He is still in the Sky Bet Supreme and Neptune Investment Management Novices' Hurdles. We have taken him out of the Albert Bartlett Novices' Hurdles, although I would have left him in it. I would imagine connections are favouring the Supreme."
Annie Power: "She is in great form and has hit every target we have set her.
"My aim at the moment is the OLBG Mares' Hurdle. We will see what happens with the World Hurdle, but it will be a tough ask going three miles first time out in Cheltenham.
"She will probably be a bit fresher as well and that is another point to consider. You can say she didn't have the stamina last year because of the fact she didn't settle."
Ballycasey: "He is in the Ryanair Chase and a couple of handicaps. He will probably travel because there are not a lot of options for him. I think he is better than he showed at Ascot."
Black Hercules: "He is in good form and is more than likely to go for the Albert Bartlett Novices' Hurdle."
Boston Bob: "I was disappointed with him the last day. He will go for the Betfred Cheltenham Gold Cup instead of the Ryanair Chase because if he won that, everyone would be asking why he didn't go for the Gold Cup."
Champagne Fever: "I would imagine, with the way the cards are falling, Champagne Fever will go for the Betway Queen Mother Champion Chase.
"You would think after his performance at Gowran that he should go for the Ryanair Chase but I think connections are favouring the Champion.
"He jumped fantastically and really enjoyed it at the weekend. It was great to see him back in that sort of form and he has been on fire since.
"He has won twice and been beaten a short-head in three runs over two miles at Cheltenham. You probably need a two and a half miler to win the Champion Chase anyway, so I'd rather have a crack at that and fail than go for the Ryanair."
Djakadam: "He is on course for the Betfred Cheltenham Gold Cup and I think the extra couple of furlongs will help him.
"If you look at our three horses in the Gold Cup, his latest performance was the best of the three even though it was only a handicap.
"Gowran is a fair test of any horse, especially in that ground. He had seasoned handicappers slogging away in behind him while Ruby was swinging from four out. He had top-weight as well and I think it was a Gold Cup performance.
"I am putting a line through his run at Newbury. We could not get a run into him beforehand because of the dry weather and he wasn't fit enough."
Don Poli: "I nominated the Toby Balding National Hunt Chase for Don Poli back in November but I think the Gigginstown team and Bryan Cooper are favouring the RSA Chase. A lot will depend on what they want to do as they have a lot of horses in both races.
"I look at his style of running and think the four-miler will really suit him. I love his style of racing and since they changed the conditions, I think the four-miler is becoming a classier race.
"I thought Valseur Lido was an RSA horse but I think connections want to go for the JLT Novices' Chase. They also have Very Wood for the four-miler and one or two others, so it will depend on where they go."
Douvan: "He is very good and there have been no problems. He is marked in for the Sky Bet Supreme Novices' Hurdle, end of story.
"He has got lots of ability and each time we ask him to do something, he comes up with the answer.
"He just does everything right and is as nice a horse as we have ever had going to Cheltenham. He is a fair machine."
Discosimo: "He will hopefully go for the JCB Triumph Hurdle. He is on Sunday and I will decide if he runs after he works later in the week. The form of his win at Gowran suggests he might be the best of our three in the Triumph."
Faugheen: "He is doing everything right. Nigel Twiston-Davies has questioned what Faugheen has beaten and I am going to side with him on that for the time being!
"I thought Faugheen might go chasing this season but, when we analysed everything and looked at the fact that he hadn't been beaten, everyone was keener for him to go back hurdling and Vautour to go chasing.
"To have a potential champion hurdler in the yard is huge, rather than a horse going for the Racing Post Arkle Chase.
"We thought Vautour could possibly win an Arkle and possibly be a Gold Cup horse one day and we weren't as sure about Faugheen doing that.
"I did not want to travel to England again for a prep run and I didn't want to take on Hurricane Fly in the Irish Champion. We prepared Faugheen for the Red Mills Trial but, after a good discussion with Ruby, we felt he didn't need any more experience.
"We looked up the stats and have seen plenty of horses that have gone straight from Kempton to Cheltenham without a run. I think people look too much into stats, especially ones only going back 10 years or so. I prefer to look back 25 or 30 years."
Glens Melody: "She is very good and has done everything right this year. She showed last year that she is well up to winning a mares' hurdle and the OLBG Mares' Hurdle is her aim again."
Hurricane Fly: "He has done everything right this season. If he was two or three years younger, he would definitely be favourite as he has done everything a clear favourite should have.
"People say he can't win because of his age but he is class. Some people say he doesn't run his best in Cheltenham but I am not so sure. He has won two Stan James Champion Hurdles from four starts and I think I had two good excuses for the times he got beaten.
"When he was really right going into Cheltenham, he has won. Horses have to be really right on the day or they will struggle. I felt going into his last two runs last season that he wasn't sparking as he can - he was just going through the motions.
"So far this year, he has not shown any of those signs. Paul Townend rides him and is a great indicator. He can tell me down to the ants how the horse is training and is giving me positive feedback all the time.
"It would be my dream result for the whole of Cheltenham if Hurricane Fly could win a third Champion Hurdle. He is our king but if Faugheen rises and wins it, then there is obviously great potential there to win another."
Kalkir: "He is set for the JCB Triumph Hurdle now. He put in a very good performance behind our mare at Leopardstown last time and I think he will improve from that."
Max Dynamite: "He may run this weekend and that will tell us more, but I think he is more of a Neptune Investment Management Novices' Hurdle horse."
McKinley: "I don't know what we are going to do with Mckinley, but my initial thought would be the Neptune Investment Management Novices' Hurdle."
Nichols Canyon: "I reckon he will end up in the Neptune Investment Management Novices' Hurdle. He will have no problem staying the extra distance and some people have said he could be another Inglis Drever for his owner. He stays two miles on the Flat and can go out to any trip."
On His Own: "He has so much stamina and the Betfred Cheltenham Gold Cup is all about stamina.
"He jumps well enough, although he gives up a bit of ground going out to the right, and the test really suits him. He loves an end to end gallop and I am hoping he will be there again at the finish."
Outlander: "It will more than likely be the Neptune Investment Management Novices' Hurdle for Outlander. I think he has Neptune written all over him. He disappointed me in Limerick and because of that probably surprised me a bit when he won in Leopardstown."
Petite Parisienne: "It was not a surprise when she won last time out as she was very unlucky not to win first time up at Punchestown.
"She is a very classy mare and will have a good chance in the JCB Triumph Hurdle."
Pont Alexandre: "It will be a struggle for him to make Cheltenham but I have given him a couple of entries. He is just all right and it will probably be Fairyhouse or Punchestown for him. He would have to surprise me over the next couple of weeks."
Shaneshill: "I will have to see how he works in the build-up because he missed a bit of time.
"He is coming back and, because the owners (Graham and Andrea Wylie) have Black Hercules for the Albert Bartlett and Nichols Canyon for the Neptune, he may end up in the Sky Bet Supreme Novices' Hurdle. That is the plan at the moment but Shaneshill has a good bit of work to do first."
Tell Us More: "Tell Us More will go for the Sky Bet Supreme Novices' Hurdle or the Neptune Investment Management Novices' Hurdle but it will depend how he gallops between now and then. I would prefer to keep him to the Neptune, but he has to come back right and please me at home before he goes to Cheltenham at all.
Un De Sceaux: "He has made a brilliant transition to fences. We didn't take on the best over hurdles last season, although he went to France and beat the best over there. If he takes to jumping fences in Cheltenham he is going to put up a big show in Racing Past Arkle Chase.
"It is going to be a huge test for him given his style of racing - he goes flat out. He is the type of chaser you love to train. He is a proper two-miler and is really exciting to watch. His style of racing is heart stopping almost but that's the way he is.
"Punters and bookmakers have decided that if he stays up, he wins and I am happy to go along with that!"
Valseur Lido: "I think the gap between the Drinmore and his last run was the reason he got beat. He will improve for that.
"What wins the Moriarty usually goes on to the RSA Chase and that's the way I would like to go with him, but it might not suit Gigginstown and their other horses, so I can see him going for the JLT Novices' Chase.
"He will be a contender in both races and I feel the further he goes, the easier he is going to do it."
Vautour: "If something happens to Un De Sceaux, then he could go for the Racing Post Arkle but at the moment Vautour is going for the JLT Novices' Chase.
"He won the other day but I still have a good bit of work to do to get him back where he was last December. He will do that this week and next week and I think it will come.
"I think he can go any trip. He is bred to stay but has the stride and speed for two miles. The JLT is where I want to go with him."
Vroum Vroum Mag: "She is in three or four races at Cheltenham but I doubt she will go. There is a mares' race in Limerick and she will probably go there, but we will see."

Last edited:
Slightly surprised at his attitude towards Don Poli- if I didn't know better I would think he was looking for a steering job for Patrick.

Slightly surprised at his attitude towards Don Poli- if I didn't know better I would think he was looking for a steering job for Patrick.

I think it sounds like he's already been told by Gigi and he didn't like the verdict.... This is already a done deal imo. Don Poli is RSA and for the 4 Miler it's Very Wood. They'll likely have at least 2 runners in each race anyway.

Some more comments from the Mullins open day.

Adriana des Mottes:
What am I going to do with Adriana Des Mottes? The truth is she might stay at home as there might be better options at open.

Blood Cotil:
He’s a tough horse who is in the Arkle and the JLT and I put him a handicap to have a look there too.

Gitane Du Berlais:
I’d say she’s probably more likely to run in the JLT.

Aminabad:
He’s in at Naas on Sunday and we’ll see what happens there.

Briar Hill:
He’s fine after his fall. I’m not sure he would have won, but he would have given the winner a race and that’s fine for me because at least it showed that he was coming back to form. He’s been showing me some good work recently and hopefully he can do it again. I think he’ll be fine. He’s possibly my World Hurdle hope this year. I put him in the handicaps too, but I think I’d rather run him in the World Hurdle and I think my owner would rather run him in it too.

Arbre De Ville
: I don’t know how he is handicapped, but I’ve put him in there and he might go for the Martin Pipe or the Coral. I’ll see how he looks at the weights.

Un Atout:
He’s not going to go chasing this year and probably will miss the Festival unless he does something fantastic at home. He’s up against it but we’ve stuck him in a few races, just in case.

Back In Focus:
In good form, the National is probably his aim. We’ll have to see how the handicapper treats him before we decide whether to go to Cheltenham or not.

Glens Melody:
She’s in great form, she ran a fantastic trial in Warwick. She goes straight for the Mares’ Hurdle. She has been a little unlucky to be up against some good mares, but she went very close in the race last year, Annie Power has had her issues this season and she might get it right this year.

Milsean: We’ll probably split him up from Measureofmydreams and run one in the Albert Bartlett and the other in the Neptune. I think Milsean might be the better stayer of the two and I’m hoping better ground will help him. I hope there’s more in the tank, but they’re both two decent horses.

Bumper horses:
I see Au Quart De Tour is the favourite but he’s a little bit sick at the moment. To me Bordini has it all, but we’ll run as many as we can get in. Au Quart De Tour has been very good,Balko Des Flos has been good, Stone Hard has been very good.Pylonthepressure is the one who has taken us by surprise. I was going to run Up For Review at Naas and Pylonthepressure at Leopardstown but Pylonthepressure did an amazing piece of work and I switched them. To me Bordini has put in the easiest performance but that performance of Pylonthepressure at Naas was extraordinary – he ran away from a decent field.

Last edited:
One of the great treats at the Festival is to go to the racecourse early Tuesday morning to see the Irish horses limber up. All the dreams are still alive and in tact.
There is a wonderful air of expectation about and the place is buzzing.
Then about 8.30 the WPM cavalry parade down the racetrack.
Those left at the all weather make themselves scarce as the size of the WPM team is AWESOME.
To paraphrase the late Paul Kelleway, the trainers get to know how Custer felt at Little Big Horn.
Please God I shall be there again this year with hip flask to help keep out the early morning dew.
Come join us please if you are about ; it is the perfect way to start the week.

Reading that just make you realise how strong his team is this year. What's even scarier is that his first wave are only just this season taking on the adults.

Anyone else getting the feeling that Willie doesn't quite have the blanket control over all his runners like he usually would.
This time last year he was able to talk Richie Rich out of sending a horse to the Champion Hurdle and also convinced UDS owners to skip festival.

Going to the festival last year Willie ruled with an Iron fist and no owner seemed to dare question him. If you read all his comments above, this year seems a different story. He already seems resigned to the fact that he'll HAVE to run horses in races he does not necessarily want to. And It's not just one owner.... From reading above he seems unhappy about the target race of all of the following:

Alvisio Ville - JP McManus - Wanted to leave him in Albert Bartlett
Don Poli - Gigginstown - Wants him in the 4 Miler for Patrick
Valseur Lido - Gigginstown - Wanted him in the RSA and not the JLT
Champagne Fever - Richie Rich - WPM seems to slightly favour Ryanair

An ever so slight changing of the Landscape perhaps?

Last edited:
doesn't have the same control over the gigi horses is the way i read it but in terms of ricci i think he just lets wpm/ruby guide him and he's along for the ride.

Copied from elsewhere......

Kudos to @rossmoyno7 for these updates from The Goat Cheltenham Preview Night

At the Goat preview night with

Panel

Bryan Cooper
Katie Walsh
Jim Culloty
Kevin O'Ryan
Rob from Paddy Power.

Supreme

Bryan thinks TellUsMore would be suited by Supreme but can't be sure if runs in Supreme or Neptune. Got racing too early LTO.
Alpha Des Obeaux is very well thought of said Bryan, thought he had serious chance the last day and Ruby came doing half speed on Douvan.
Katie says Douvan is quite lazy and relaxed and that's what you need. Absolute moral, can't see him beat. Clear he's a machine.
Kevin says Henry DB said to him thought Sizing John was very good when beaten by Douvan. Post race said either were average or he's machine
Jim says L'ami worth a mention. Will improve for better ground and respected. Worry if Douvan misses any beat along the way.
Rob from Paddy Power saying Tuesday the 10th could be the worst day in the history of Paddy Power.
Willie not one to hype a horse and he finished his media day by saying Douvan is a machine - Rob

Neptune

Bryan says race tailor made for Outlander. Bumper form rock solid & good the last day. But impressed with Nichols Canyon too.
Bryan reports Robbie said if Windsor Park turned up in the Albert Bartlett that he'd win.
Bryan more excited to ride Tell Us More than Outlander. David Casey best judge in Willie's and couldn't believe was beaten LTO.
Katie says can't forget Shaneshill wherever he goes. She would have Shaneshill over Nichols Canyon any day of the week.
Katie saying Ruby has a lot of huge decisions to make with a bunch of magnificent novices, and that he will definitely be wrong with a few.
Ruby isn't lying when says he doesn't know who he'll ride in everything says Katie. Literally all depends on last piece of work.
Katie has ridden every novice of Willie's and the best horse of them all is Douvan.
Shaneshill is as tough as honours maths and great bet for the Neptune - Katie
Jim reckons at a the run race at Cheltenham Windsor Park can reverse form with Nichols Canyon, and the bet for him.

Albert Bartlett

Bryan says No More Heroes 'a bit special' '. Said there was no life in him the last day, knew going down was off.
Bryan will be sitting on NMH on Friday morning and will see how that goes and go from there. Barry G also reported that he was 'special'.
Bryan has respect for Black Hercules as he came second in the Champion Bumper. Apparently he's not up on bumper horse #Banter
Jim Says three mile hurdles are for slow horses that will go all day long. Martello Tower is the one that will relish it.
Katie says Black Hercules is a big beast of thing, will be much better over fences. Not as confident in him as Douvan etc. Fancies NMH.
Novice chases coming up. I'm sweating from typing fast and need a pint #Struggles

Arkle

Katie says UDS as free as the wind. Rider is never in control. He is a nervous horse and gets hot. Hard on himself.
However Katie says UDS has been to France twice and won twice so she isn't so worried about the Arkle.
He's just too fast' - Katie on UDS
Katie says if Vautour was to run she thinks he'd be second to Un de Sceaux. If UDS stands up he's a certainty and he will stand up.
Bryan vey surprised if Clarcam ran this weekend. Has forgiven him for breaking his leg now, electric over fences.
Bryan says if UDS falls which is a high possibility then Clarcam the one to be on. Thought would have won Fred Winter last year if not fall.
Bryan was comfortable behind UDS most the race LTO but when Ruby changes his hands he was just gone. 'He emptied me in two strides'
Jim explaining how he lost the novice hurdle on Best Mate. Was told to track the favourite but that jockey wanted to go backwards #Ssshh
EW bet for Jim is Josses Hill. Value bet but UDS has to fall for him to win.
Kevin keeps it simple - Josses won't get around, UDS wins #KevinKnows

RSA

Michael told Bryan he won't leave him sitting in the weighing room while Patrick has a nice ride in the four miler.
Katie - Don Poli is as much a certainty as Douvan. Thinks he will run in the RSA, won't get beat.
Bryan a future career in politics. Won't pick the one ride he's most excited by. (All think he's lying and its Don Poli)
Who wins when it comes to owner and trainer deciding targets? Asked to Bryan. Michael has made it clear to him he says, the owner.
Katie says the faster Coneygree goes, the further Don Poli beats him.

JLT
Jim talking to Nichols yesterday. Nichols says Ptit Zig has had his ulcer problems sorted out & Paul maintains that can make for a new horse
Bryan - Disappointed Valseur beaten the last day. Let Paul slip up the outside. Can reverse form next time out but Vautour hard beat.
Katie says Vautour was beat by the time he jumped out at Christmas. Never looked happy. Her fancy is the Tullow Tank at big prices.
Jim has not too many an opinion on these novice races. Not a keen form student, busy feeding Lord Windermere.

Triumph

Was worried if Petite would stay the last day but she did well. Tough fully and a good ride but Nicky a serious hand in it.
Bryan - None of the Triumph crop this year in the league of Our Conor. Could run it a few times and get a few different results.
Bryan said last years juveniles very average. Didn't think Tiger Roll would win last year & was poor bunch.
Katie reckons Kalkir lacking a gear. Fast pace will suit Peace & Co and one to beat. PP the most suited of Willie's for this year.

RyanAir

The Don ticks all the boxes. It was his own fault that he fell at the festival last year. Ground makes no difference.
There's no such thing as a good thing at Cheltenham but Don Cossack one of the best rides I have - Bryan
Katie - Cue Card is going absolutely nowhere. Don Cossack all the way.
Russell used to tell Jim The Don was only a big frame of a horse. Has filled into that frame now.

Champion Hurdle
Katie - 5/4 Faugheen is ridiculous. What has he beat? Absolutely nothing. Ridiculous price. Wide open race.
Katie doesn't like the New One. Not convinced on this years form, can't have him. Jezki great price at 6/1.
Hurricane without doubt appreciates it softer says Katie. Struggles at a certain point in races now and can't do that in Champion.
Buuuuuut if the heavens opened, her 100 euro would still be on Hurricane Fly. Unbelievable horse.
AP told Bryan at Christmas that he could have gone another furlong and a half at Christmas and he wouldn't have gone by Hurricane Fly.
Jim thinks Cheltenham will suit The New One far better than anything else. Kings Theatre need better ground.
Paddy Power have not laid a cent on Ruby to ride Hurricane Fly. Not a shilling. Will ride Faugheen.

Queen Mother Champion Chase

QMCC - Lay of the meeting for KOR is Sprinter Sacre. Jim can't have him either. No room for emotion here.
Hidden Cyclone great EW bet for Kevin, didn't get home in the RyanAir last year, trotted over the last. Bryan concurs.
For me Sprinter Sacre looked like a f**king greyhound the last day' - Jim C

World Hurdle

Rock on Ruby the pick for both Jim & Katie in the WH, but all very tentative. Wide open race etc etc.
Before Dessie past away Bryan says thy always thought Lieutenant Colonel was one of the best they had had in a long time. Wouldn't get off.
Dedigout will not run at Cheltenham unless there is an absolute downpur.

Gold Cup
Lord Windermere has had no health issues this year which is contrasting to last year says Jim. In front too soon the last day.
Jim was confident he'd finish in the first four last year and that's how he feels again, first four. Obviously would love to win.
Jim says according to vets if you scope 100 horses, 90 of them will have ulcers. Ulcers excuse suspect re Silviniaco. Wants flat track.
Carlingford Lough is a massive improver says Jim. 'We probably all know why but we won't say why. They placed him well we'll say'
Lexus rode a far better race than the Hennessy to Cooper,
Road to Riches picked up again in the last 20 yards after going that quick the whole way. Hope for first three definitely - Bryan
Decision re Foxrock supplementation will not be made until the five day stage, changing every day says Katie.

Other Races

Bumper - Up for Review I think is the horse they all have to beat. Keeps going forever and you've got to stay.
Bryan says Eddie O'Leary has told him that Gigginstown will run one or maybe two in the bumper. Each one as impressive as the next.
Mares - Katie says Annie is great nick and won't come off the bridle.
Edeymi & Bishops Road the handicap guddens for Bryan #WrappingUp

For the record the Up for Review comment was from Katie, as you might have guessed.

Charity Bets

Bryan goes for Don Cossack.
Katie goes for Annie Power.
Jimbo picks Lord Windermere EW.

https://twitter.com/rossmoyno7

There are some great quotes in there.

This is not one of them.

Champion Hurdle
Katie - 5/4 Faugheen is ridiculous. What has he beat? Absolutely nothing. Ridiculous price. Wide open race.
Katie doesn't like the New One. Not convinced on this years form, can't have him. Jezki great price at 6/1.

Last edited:
It was JC quote that got me

Carlingford Lough is a massive improver says Jim. 'We probably all know why but we won't say why. They placed him well we'll say'

Copied from elsewhere......

Notes taken from Preview night in Balbriggan with Gary O'Brien (GOB), Kevin Ryan (KR), Andrew Lynch (AL), Tony Martin (TM) and Paul Ryan (PR) from Paddy Power on Thursday 19th February.

Supreme Novices:

All were unanimous that Douvan was the one to beat.

PR says he is like to shorten close to evens on the day so best to back early. He described him as "bombproof".

KR was all about Douvan with Mullins telling him "he's as nice a horse as we've ever had" and even Mullins' mother saying if she could have any horse in the stable it'd be him over even Faugheen.

The ew value all agreed was Shaneshill at 12/1.

Neptune Novices Hurdle:

KR was all about Windsor Park regardless of whether he runs here or in the Albert Bertlett saying he likes nice ground and Pat Smullen thinks very highly of the horse. Also likes Outlander if Windsor Park doesn't go in this.

TM reckons Windsor Park is one of the bets of the meeting with AL saying likewise, that he's a great ew bet, hoping that he runs in this rather than the Albert Bartlett.

PR thinks Nichols Canyon is a good horse but the vibes for Tell Us More are not good coming from the stable.

Albert Bartlett:

All didn't like the chances of Black Hercules and look elsewhere.

KR likes Value at Risk saying he's a decent horse and the trip should suit. Martello Tower is excellent value ew too.

AL thinks likewise about Martello Tower, the trip will suit (unbeaten over 3 miles) and at 10/1 is great value.

TM also likes Martello Tower and also likes No More Heroes saying he will be bang there provided he jumps better than last time.

PR thinks both Martello Tower and Value at Risk have great chances while No More Heroes is well worth a bet (which GOB agreed with too).

Triumph Hurdle:

None are convinced with Peace and Co saying he carries his head too high and has been beating pigs and is too short in the betting.

PR says Peace and Co will be the lay of the week and thinks Hargam has a better chance. Petite Parisienne has done nothing wrong either but betting wise it's wide open.

TM likes Hargam with AL agreeing with him being a value bet at 5/1 and Petite Parisienne will be best of be Irish.

KR says lay Peace and Co and lump on Petite Parisienne saying "he will win". KR reckons Dicosimo is definitely one for the future saying he may well turn out to be the best horse to emerge from this race but may not win this.

Arkle Chase:

All adamant Un de Sceaux won't be touched barring a fall.

KR says no to Josses Hill and Clarcam w/o Un de Sceaux or ew is an excellent bet, he jumps brilliantly which TM agreed with.

RSA Chase:

PR says Don Poli will go here not the 4 miler and will definitely shorten. Also impressed with Kings Palace but thinks he and Coneygree will cut each other's throats contesting the lead.

KR likes Coneygree over Kings Palace but thinks Don Poli has rock solid form and will win this. The Young Master is a great bet in the 4 miler instead of this.

AL has been impressed with Don Poli but is also a huge Coneygree fan.

TM says he would buy Don Poli over any other horse but also says Coneygree has an excellent chance too. Heathfield in the 4 miler for him.

JLT Chase:

PR says Paddy will be laying Vautour, reckons all things with him are possibly not as they should be.

AL thinks 9/4 is too short for Vautour but David Casey fancies Vautour and all agreed he is one of the best judges of a horse around. Pitt Zig is a no after his fall but if Gitane du Berlais is a great price if he goes.

KR says Valsur Lido will turn the form with Apache Stronghold and hasn't been impressed with Vautour the last twice.

TM thinks Vautour is the one to beat if on form but Ptit Zig has a good chance.

Champion Chase:

None are convinced that Sprinter Sacre is as good as he was and will be a lay by bookies. TM says though if he is back to anywhere near his best he will win.

PR thinks Hidden Cyclone represents excellent value and both KR and TM thought likewise. For him Champagne Fever is too short however KR thinks he has a good chance as did GOB.

While all agreed Dodging Bullets is the form horse his record at Cheltenham is shocking.

Mixed feelings over Sire de Grugy, AL yes but KR and PR no.

Big no for Mr Mole from AL describing him as "a pig".

Ryanair Chase:

KR and AL not keen on Balder Succes or Cue Card but AL thinks Johns Spirit is good value.

Both TM and KR are very much in favour of Don Cossack calling him one of the best bets of the meeting.

Champion Hurdle:

KR questions Faugheens jumping at times and while he and AL reckon he's been impressive but is very short PR says there's no holes to him and TM described him as "home and hosed".

The New One has not impressed PR and KR with his last run especially and both think Jezki may be regressing based on this seasons form against Hurricane Fly but GOB expects him to be in the top 3.

PR thinks Hurricane Fly at 8/1 is great ew value while AL and TM said the same for Arctic Fire at 14/1.

KR feels the ground is crucial to Hurricane Fly's chances, slow ground and a stamina test is his best chance rather than quick ground and a speed test.

World Hurdle:

Conflicting accounts as to whether Annie Power will run in this or the Mares Hurdle. AL thinks she will run here and expects her to win if so. TM expects her to go the Mares route.

PR says More of That holds no value at 5/1 but he and KR think Saphir du Rheu has a fantastic chance. He also thinks Zarkander and Rock on Ruby won't see out the trip.

TM thinks Reve de Sivola is the one to beat.

TM and KR like Lieutenant Colonel and Dedigout with the latter being more ground dependant.

AL and GOB both think Whisper is the dark horse in the race.

Gold Cup:

All big no's for Holywell, KR will "eat his bollox if he wins a Gold Cup".

KR, AL and TM think Many Clouds holds an excellent chance but PR thinks he's focussed more on the Grand National. The only concern is quick ground for KR.

TM thinks Silvianaco Conti is the best horse in the race but PR, ALand KR both think he won't stay up the hill and is best on flatter tracks.

Foxrock if supplemented has a great chance feel TM and KR.
All 4 think Carlingford Lough has no chance while KR and AL both like Road to Riches, TM says he has no chance.

Other Races Day 1:

Glens Melody ew or w/o Annie Power (KR and AL)

The Young Master in the 4 Miler (KR)

Gallant Oscar a great ew chance (TM)

Annie Power will go off evens for the Mares Race (PR)

Other Races Day 2:

Cassels Rock borderline but would have a great chance in the Coral Cup, Quick Jack in the County Hurdle is the surprise package & Thunder Zone in the Fred Winter (TM)

Pylonthepressure in the Bumper (PR)

Vigil in good form and will have Smullen on board, Bordini has been impressive (KR)

Other Races Day 3:

Mydor an ew shout in the Pertemps, Rivage D'or an ew chance in the Cross Country & Sraid Padraig has a good chance he jumps and travels well (TM)

Ned Buntline in the Grand Annual (AL & TM)

Other Races Day 4:

Salsify in the Foxhunters (KR)

Some races in the last 4 parts may not be in the right day so apologies if that is the case. Lot of information there so hopefully some of it is helpful in picking some winners.

Back