Fighting Fifth Hurdle 1st December

Fantastic performance. Can’t believe the price they let him go off

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I could live from now until the end of time and still not manage to call that any wronger.

Fair play to those that called it right.

Would be surprised to see Spick and Span persist over hurdles with the annointed one....

Wait ‘til Buv gets fully fit.

I think this is much more relevant than today's form. Let's face it, I could beat a tenderly-ridden Vision Des Flos by 20 lengths on a bad day. Summerville Boy wasn't off an inch either.

Today's race only proved BDA is well and Samcro is no Champion Hurdler.

Fair play to the winner. Man v boy

Speedboat v Oil tanker. Think today proves that Buv was far from at his best in last years CH and still won. If he comes on from that run, he'll waltz to his 3rd CH in March. Think the places in march are wide open.

Delighted with today's result. I really want to see Sam running over further, 2m4f or 2m5f, but not against BD again :) I'm sure Samcro will get back to winning ways soon enough.

I think this is much more relevant than today's form. Let's face it, I could beat a tenderly-ridden Vision Des Flos by 20 lengths on a bad day. Summerville Boy wasn't off an inch either.

Today's race only proved BDA is well and Samcro is no Champion Hurdler.

Bullshit. He’s dammed when he wins mickey mouse races like the contenders and then dammed when he demolishes a G1 winner and the best novice of last year.

Speedboat v Oil tanker. Think today proves that Buv was far from at his best in last years CH and still won. If he comes on from that run, he'll waltz to his 3rd CH in March. Think the places in march are wide open.

Samcro is a double manufacture botch

Trying to morph a chaser into a hurdler and a stayer into a speed horse

Could be he was just mature for his years and got away with it last season..I must admit I have never been a fan so I am probably being biased

Bullshit. He’s dammed when he wins mickey mouse races like the contenders and then dammed when he demolishes a G1 winner and the best novice of last year.

On the contrary. He was fully entitled to win and he's clearly the best horse in the race:

NWC 2.05 BETVICTOR FIGHTING FIFTH HURDLE (GRADE 1) (Class 1) (4yo+) Winner £61,897 6 runners 2m98y Good To Soft ITV
[TABLE="width: 806"]
<tbody>[TR]
[TD]Form
[/TD]
[TD]Horse
[/TD]
[TD]Stats
[/TD]
[TD]Age
[/TD]
[TD]Weight
[/TD]
[TD]Trainer
[/TD]
[TD]Jockey
[/TD]
[TD]OR
[/TD]
[TD]MON
[/TD]
[TD]Notes
[/TD]
[TD]RPR
[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]/1111-
[/TD]
[TD] Buveur D'Air
[/TD]
[TD]CD
[/TD]
[TD]7
[/TD]
[TD]11-7
[/TD]
[TD]Nicky Henderson
[/TD]
[TD]Barry Geraghty
[/TD]
[TD]169
[/TD]
[TD]166
[/TD]
[TD]+ (169)
[/TD]
[TD]174
[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]22311-
[/TD]
[TD] Summerville Boy
[/TD]
[TD]D
[/TD]
[TD]6
[/TD]
[TD]11-7
[/TD]
[TD]Tom George
[/TD]
[TD]Noel Fehily
[/TD]
[TD]156
[/TD]
[TD]161
[/TD]
[TD]+p
[/TD]
[TD]163
[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]111F-2
[/TD]
[TD] Samcro
[/TD]
[TD]D bf
[/TD]
[TD]6
[/TD]
[TD]11-7
[/TD]
[TD]Gordon Elliott
[/TD]
[TD]Jack Kennedy
[/TD]
[TD]160
[/TD]
[TD]160
[/TD]
[TD]+
[/TD]
[TD]168
[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]13-411
[/TD]
[TD] Bedrock
[/TD]
[TD]tp D
[/TD]
[TD]5
[/TD]
[TD]11-7
[/TD]
[TD]Iain Jardine
[/TD]
[TD]Rachael Blackmore
[/TD]
[TD]157
[/TD]
[TD]157
[/TD]
[TD]? p
[/TD]
[TD]165
[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]42049-
[/TD]
[TD] Bleu Et Rouge
[/TD]
[TD]D
[/TD]
[TD]7
[/TD]
[TD]11-7
[/TD]
[TD]Ben Haslam
[/TD]
[TD]William Kennedy
[/TD]
[TD]152
[/TD]
[TD]157
[/TD]
[TD]
[/TD]
[TD]160
[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]622-U2
[/TD]
[TD] Vision Des Flos
[/TD]
[TD]t D
[/TD]
[TD]5
[/TD]
[TD]11-7
[/TD]
[TD]Colin Tizzard
[/TD]
[TD]Robbie Power
[/TD]
[TD]150
[/TD]
[TD]150
[/TD]
[TD]p?
[/TD]
[TD]157
[/TD]
[/TR]
</tbody>[/TABLE]

If he hadn't won today, a lack of match fitness would have been a ready excuse but all he did was outspeed Samcro in a public gallop. The other three were only there for the fresh air and to pick up some place money scraps in the process.

I'll get a closer look at the form in due course but I don't think BDA needed to be any more than 80% fit today. I couldn't have backed Samcro with bad money and felt if SB was fully wound up for an opportunity to beat a less-than-fit BDA he had a chance. As it was he hardly met a single hurdle correctly (either by accident or design) and had no chance from halfway, after which point the jockey looked after him. If I end up giving BDA a big figure I'll be first on here to say so.

Last edited:
On the contrary. He was fully entitled to win and he's clearly the best horse in the race:

NWC 2.05 BETVICTOR FIGHTING FIFTH HURDLE (GRADE 1) (Class 1) (4yo+) Winner £61,897 6 runners 2m98y Good To Soft ITV
[TABLE="width: 806"]
[TR]
[TD]Form
[/TD]
[TD]Horse
[/TD]
[TD]Stats
[/TD]
[TD]Age
[/TD]
[TD]Weight
[/TD]
[TD]Trainer
[/TD]
[TD]Jockey
[/TD]
[TD]OR
[/TD]
[TD]MON
[/TD]
[TD]Notes
[/TD]
[TD]RPR
[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]/1111-
[/TD]
[TD] Buveur D'Air
[/TD]
[TD]CD
[/TD]
[TD]7
[/TD]
[TD]11-7
[/TD]
[TD]Nicky Henderson
[/TD]
[TD]Barry Geraghty
[/TD]
[TD]169
[/TD]
[TD]166
[/TD]
[TD]+ (169)
[/TD]
[TD]174
[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]22311-
[/TD]
[TD] Summerville Boy
[/TD]
[TD]D
[/TD]
[TD]6
[/TD]
[TD]11-7
[/TD]
[TD]Tom George
[/TD]
[TD]Noel Fehily
[/TD]
[TD]156
[/TD]
[TD]161
[/TD]
[TD]+p
[/TD]
[TD]163
[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]111F-2
[/TD]
[TD] Samcro
[/TD]
[TD]D bf
[/TD]
[TD]6
[/TD]
[TD]11-7
[/TD]
[TD]Gordon Elliott
[/TD]
[TD]Jack Kennedy
[/TD]
[TD]160
[/TD]
[TD]160
[/TD]
[TD]+
[/TD]
[TD]168
[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]13-411
[/TD]
[TD] Bedrock
[/TD]
[TD]tp D
[/TD]
[TD]5
[/TD]
[TD]11-7
[/TD]
[TD]Iain Jardine
[/TD]
[TD]Rachael Blackmore
[/TD]
[TD]157
[/TD]
[TD]157
[/TD]
[TD]? p
[/TD]
[TD]165
[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]42049-
[/TD]
[TD] Bleu Et Rouge
[/TD]
[TD]D
[/TD]
[TD]7
[/TD]
[TD]11-7
[/TD]
[TD]Ben Haslam
[/TD]
[TD]William Kennedy
[/TD]
[TD]152
[/TD]
[TD]157
[/TD]
[TD]
[/TD]
[TD]160
[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]622-U2
[/TD]
[TD] Vision Des Flos
[/TD]
[TD]t D
[/TD]
[TD]5
[/TD]
[TD]11-7
[/TD]
[TD]Colin Tizzard
[/TD]
[TD]Robbie Power
[/TD]
[TD]150
[/TD]
[TD]150
[/TD]
[TD]p?
[/TD]
[TD]157
[/TD]
[/TR]
[/TABLE]

If he hadn't won today, a lack of match fitness would have been a ready excuse but all he did was outspeed Samcro in a public gallop. The other three were only there for the fresh air and to pick up some place money scraps in the process.

I'll get a closer look at the form in due course but I don't think BDA needed to be any more than 80% fit today. I couldn't have backed Samcro with bad money and felt if SB was fully wound up for an opportunity to beat a less-than-fit BDA he had a chance. As it was he hardly met a single hurdle correctly (either by accident or design) and had no chance from halfway, after which point the jockey looked after him. If I end up giving BDA a big figure I'll be first on here to say so.

DO, did it ever occur to you that the likes of BD and SB were never ever going to be “fully wound up” for their seasonal reappearance. You say SB hardly met a single hurdle correctly but shur that’s hardly a surprise. Watch back his novice campaign last year. It wasn’t by design. Samcro picked up the pace down the back and the mistakes came then. The race was run 20 secs faster than Champagne Platinum’s win immediately after.

All Buveur D’Air done today was totally outclass the best Fighting Fifth field gathered in years at 75% fitness. Samcro is a grade 1 winner over 2m and he had him burnt in a few strides, that after totally making a balls of the last.

Last edited:
That was top notch from Buveur D'air. Was confident he would win today but the way he did it was beautiful.

Cannot believe he went off at 11/8.

I think the majority of people view it that Samcro needs further, me being in that camp - he simply is not a 2 miler.

All Buveur D’Air done today was totally outclass the best Fighting Fifth field gathered in years at 75% fitness.

Well, that's debatable for a start, Kauto. The average OR of today's runners was 157. When Identity Thief won in 2015 the average OR of the five runners on 150 or more was 160. However, I would concede that today's was arguably a better renewal on paper if you believe the Samcro hype. Perhaps part of my problem with today's race is that I've never bought into that hype.

Samcro is a grade 1 winner over 2m and he had him burned in a few strides, that after totally making a balls of the last.

True. true and true. But his G1 win was in a novice hurdle when he was odds-on off 153 (which says the opposition must have been lesser animals and indeed the third was only rated 135 going into it) and he had Samcro burned in few strides because Samcro doesn't have 2m pace at this level. The mistake at the last ir largely irrelevant because he was already going well within himself and Samcro was cooked.

I like Buveur D'Air and he's clearly better than anything else at the moment but he's merely a very high class hurdler in an era of largely moderate ones.

I was genuinely hoping Summerville Boy would be wound up for today but his hurdling was poor and he was looked after.

Back