Films

Think I would have avoided that one anyway! Am making plans to see The Revenant next - anyone seen it?

Yes; The Danish Girl tonight, Revenant over the next few days and out cinema have brought Brooklyn back which we missed when it was first out.

The di Caprio film will be worth seeing purely for the fact that it has the wonderful Tom Hardy in it....

Went to see it last night. 256 minutes of unrelenting misery. It looks beautiful and is clearly an Oscar vehicle for Di C, but there is not ONE second of lightness in the whole thing. I'm too thick to work out if it's art or not, but enjoyable it ain't. There is a bear in it that deserves the acting awards, but probably won't win it.

Cheers Ice will be seeing The Revenant in due course. Really wanted to see the hateful eight too but Cineworld are in dispute with the distributors, so thats put the kybosh on that.

Went to see it last night. 256 minutes of unrelenting misery. It looks beautiful and is clearly an Oscar vehicle for Di C, but there is not ONE second of lightness in the whole thing. I'm too thick to work out if it's art or not, but enjoyable it ain't. There is a bear in it that deserves the acting awards, but probably won't win it.
Had me worried there; it's 156 minutes [I was going to take a packed lunch]. Rather underwhelmed by The Danish Girl; incredibly beautiful to watch but the story, albeit being based on a true story, didn't ring true, and Eddie Redmayne was always Eddie Redmayne, and just had a series of sideways simpering looks.
...some gorgeous dresses in it, though...will win awards for lighting and costume I think...

Last edited:

Couldn't agree more. Its just really dull and I spent most of the movie hoping he would die.

The Revenant tonight. Loved every minute of it. May see it again. Chap at the cinema said the book is very good, and, although the film is nothing like the book he still thought it was brilliant. I guess the closest film to it is Apocalypto with a touch of 'Gladiator' thrown in. Bridge of Spies next.

Disappointed by The Rev - 156 minutes of grimness without even one shaft of light and wit is too much. Saw Jobs last night - overrated, smug and self-regarding tripe. Kate W is okay in it though.

Bridge of Spies is a good story, well told and acted. It has a start and middle and an end, which usually works for me.

Agree about jobs. More I look back on film, less I like it. Poorly put together. Rushed feel. Bad director

revenant sounds a bit awful. Again it's obvious Oscar vehicle and I can't stand films that are so geared towards that aim. Indifferent actor at best

dislike worthy grim films. Couldn't bear to watch that po faced 50 shades of slave or whatever it was.

There is black humour and light touch in even the worst situations. Again Shakespeare was absolute master of that but as examples I can immediately think schindlers list and midnight express as two films that got a little balance into a difficult tale.

hateful eight is no doubt cardboard characters and comic book blood from the most overrated director in cinematic history.

Big short should be promising . It's a cracking tale but having read the book I may give it a miss.

On on a positive note the updated and somewhat wild version of as you like it at the national is well worth a look. First time I've seen the play and it's genuinely razor sharp with a ludicrous couldn't give a monkeys plot. Loved it

Last edited:
Even if Bridge of Spies has a beginning middle and end, being about spying I still won't understand what's going on. I now have to watch tv series twice to work out who's who and what's what.

revenant sounds a bit awful. Again it's obvious Oscar vehicle and I can't stand films that are so geared towards that aim. Indifferent actor at best

You think Dicaprio is an indifferent actor? Of the current crop I'd say he's one of the best.

I don't think The Revenant was made purely as Oscar material; I felt that everyone involved put their heart and soul into what was a beautiful film; I'm loathe to say there was something spiritual about it but, there, I've said it. I may go and see it again. Wondering if those who like it [and it is a marmite film] also loved Life of Pi as much as I do.

I don't think The Revenant was made purely as Oscar material; I felt that everyone involved put their heart and soul into what was a beautiful film; I'm loathe to say there was something spiritual about it but, there, I've said it.
Would agree completely with all of that, Moe.
Indeed, Revenant is visceral, it's brutal, and it's primal; but that was what it was like in Montana's mountains in 1823. Uncompromising, and the film captures that environment wonderfully.
Bleak it may be, but life in that time and place was just that. If some farting-after-beans-around-the-campfire "humour" was to have been thrown in, the whole feel of the film would have been emasculated.
I think the movie is a beautiful work of art, meself. If anything is missing, it might be a lack of a nod to humanity/compassion, but I guess such virtues were kinda scarce in Hugh Glass's time.
(I reckon I would still favour Apocalypto overall, but it is a close call).

There were nods to humanity with the young lad who felt remorse at leaving Glass, and the small but touching bit where Glass just patted the flank of the appaloosa as he walked away from it. Not much I know, but just enough to humanise them.

That's true, on reflection.
And, of course, there was a demonstration of compassion by the sole Indian survivor of the Sioux massacre who gave the starving glass some bison meat, and subsequently tended to Glass's wounds and allowed him to hitch a ride on his pony. That had momentarily slipped my mind.

Spotlight is the best film I've seen in a while.
The chronology of the Boston Globe's exposé of child abuse in the local priesthood, it shows the nuts and bolts build-up from a couple of local issues into a world-wide scandal. If true stories are your bag, it's definitely worth a watch.

Back