Films

My daughter is raving about it; unfortunately we needed to see the last Hunger Games film before it's run ended but can't wait to see Star wars asap. She says it's perfection.

Just watched Steve Jobs despite a friend telling me it was crap....thoroughly enjoyed it due to some top notch acting...not much of a story really. More about the man that what he achieved.

Now watching Spectre a little bit at a time. Can't concentrate with kempton coming up

Saw Star Wars; loved it. Although was shocked to hear the S.O. say that he hadn't seen any of the films. Never crossed my mind that someone hadn't seen them....[what planet is he on?].

I never have and probably never will. No interest at all

last bond film I saw was diamonds are forever. And that on its release. Bored me even back then

Last edited:
I saw the first two back when they were first released and a later one on the goggler, but haven't seen any others

Quite enjoy over-the-top escapist Bond nonsense and have seen most since the mid '70s on t'big screen

One does need a bit of light relief from Cymbeline and the RSC occasionally, doesn't one Clive?

I'm not keen on Bond films but did enjoy the BBC4 programme about them the other night. That new di Caprio film looks good.

Not sure what you mean drone. In fact I think you are talking bollocks. Does "relief" entail sci fi or mindless "spy" drivel?

Saw hangmen today which is top black comedy and big london hit. Some lines a bit telegraphed but excellent all the same. Also saw bull at young vic two weeks back. Hour long vicious exploration of office bullying. Riveting.

Just a little squeeze of your betty swollocks Clive, lest your curt dismissal of light, populist entertainment be construed as elitism

A skinfull of best bitter and a guffaw with your mates followed by a kebab in the bus shelter is fleeting fun; but unlike du-Pape and erudite discourse with carefully chosen fragrant friends whilst savouring Aberdeen Angus in the dining room, does not bring lasting satisfaction

I'm with you actually: give me kulture and give me more of it

Have you seen a production of Cymbeline? I sat through it at Stratford some years ago and thought it utterly impenetrable i.e. boring, but the kebab afterwards was enjoyable

Happy new year Clive: I like you, that's why I try to rile you :)

Just a little squeeze of your betty swollocks Clive, lest your curt dismissal of light, populist entertainment be construed as elitism

A skinfull of best bitter and a guffaw with your mates followed by a kebab in the bus shelter is fleeting fun; but unlike du-Pape and erudite discourse with carefully chosen fragrant friends whilst savouring Aberdeen Angus in the dining room, does not bring lasting satisfaction

I'm with you actually: give me kulture and give me more of it

Have you seen a production of Cymbeline? I sat through it at Stratford some years ago and thought it utterly impenetrable i.e. boring, but the kebab afterwards was enjoyable

Happy new year Clive: I like you, that's why I try to rile you :)

You didn't rile drone. You never can :). Which is a compliment.

i liken action films such as bond and Star Wars to be l
akin to opera. How come? Well I love classical music but am indifferent to opera and seen very little with no great desire to go again. But that doesn't mean that opera is rubbish

I have only seen about 10 Shakespeare plays live and a handful on film. As you like it I'm seeing at national in a coupe,of weeks as it happens but cybmerline doesn't appeal I must say. There are a handful that I will probably never endeavour to bother with and that's one of them

which would be your prefered Shakespeare play? Had this discussion over xmas

Last edited:
Shakespeare is the Arkle of playwrights.

Got his rating in the dark-ages, and the propagandists have refused to hear any argument against him since.

:ninja:

No one dominates their art form to such an extent bar the Beatles and 20th century music perhaps. But even then not to the same extent

fact is there is virtually no "argument against him" from anyone involved in or that enjoys theatre.

classcial music has the big three Bach Beethoven and mozart
art has Van Gogh Picasso and a very long list

the more acquainted I've become with Shakespeare the more I am in awe of the sheer intelligence of his writing. Let alone the beauty. What is staggering is that 400 years on he is by a million miles the most produced play writer in any number of variations. No one gets the ambiguities of human nature better which lends itself to endless interpretation

there are at least five major productions on in London right now . Completely sold out

how the fck do we work out hamlet for instance? And yet it fascinates totally

Last edited:
Might well be but I will leave you to Andy fcking Stewart and the crankies

Last edited:
I'm not keen on Bond films but did enjoy the BBC4 programme about them the other night. That new di Caprio film looks good.

This was featured in Film 2015, for which Claudia W has the easiest job EVER in television, and aside from anything else about it, there is a really, really desperately bad section of filming where 'Leo This Is My Oscar Film Or Else' is supposed to be riding a horse at speed while being pursued. It is so unbelievably bad, it begs the question what was the point of making the rest of the film.

i liken action films such as bond and Star Wars to be l
akin to opera. How come? Well I love classical music but am indifferent to opera and seen very little with no great desire to go again. But that doesn't mean that opera is rubbish

We really must make mad, passionate, filthy love one day Clive as I share your dislike - hate maybe - of opera, particularly Italian Opera, a take on which Lloyd-Webber did so much better in the shallow '70s

Wagner composed some great toons, shame about the sopranos; likewise Mozart, though I prefer Mingus and Hendrix

The Shakespeare play that left a lasting, troubled impression and much pause for thought is King Lear, though I think that may be due to being frightened as a still white-eyed youth by Michael Hordern's interpretation in the BBC production back when ratings didn't matter

The Merry Wives Of Windsor is a good laugh

Not sure if we're of a similar vintage Clivexxxx, but if so do you too recall the Beeb's pledge to screen all of yer man's plays back in those shallow '70s? They did, and fab, but never repeated as far as I know

Jewels out there somewhere

Steady on ffs

spot on with opera. The ones I do like are Mozart. But I just love mozart. Italian opera is so overblown.

mingus? Coltrane for me or miles . Coltrane is extraordinary . This sends shivers. It's is ridiculous in its sheer brilliance . I just cannot fathom where this genuine genius reached to to find such inspiration with that beautiful tone
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=681-mXSMAj8

I saw King Lear last year at the national. I feel I need to see it again but found it a little relentless perhaps? It does resonate though . Never seen merry wives but thought that many thought it his worst!

enjoyed Henry v and Julius Caesar the most but can see why hamlet is seen as the best by so many. Measure for measure is a particular fave too. Down and dirty and wonderfully cynical

i didn't see those interpretations but watched the hollow crown on bbc last year. Have it on dvd too. Still relatively recent in my interest

Last edited:
Shakespeare and particularly the great parts such as Macbeth Lear and especially hamlet could be likened to a truly great quote about perhaps the most wonderful piece of music ever composed . Mozarts clarinet concerto.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=nLtCPLIMYtc

every amateur believes they can play it. Every professional despairs of doing it justice

Last edited:
The di Caprio film will be worth seeing purely for the fact that it has the wonderful Tom Hardy in it....

Went to The Danish Girl tonight. Very moving film - never have I sat in such a completely silent cinema. Redmayne superb as expected but Alicia Vikander just blew me away - she surely needs an Oscar for this performance.

I saw Alicia Vikander a few years ago in a Scandinavian film called 'A Royal Affair'; a brilliant film and she was superb in it. I've heard mixed reviews about the Danish Girl but can't miss a film with her and Eddie Redmayne in. I'm going to love the di Caprio film [and if I don't I'm not gonna tell anyone!!].

Last edited:
I saw Alicia Vkiander a few years ago in a Scandinavian film called 'A Royal Affair'; a brilliant film and she was superb in it. I've heard mixed reviews about the Danish Girl but can't miss a film with her and Eddie Redmayne in. I'm going to love the di Caprio film [and if I don't I'm not gonna tell anyone!!].

I loved that film!! The book it was based on was even better.

The Hateful Eight

Absolutely awful. Glad I saw this at home rather in theatre -- I would have walked out after 20 minutes, honestly.
A boring, drawn-out melodrama with terrible cliche'd dialogue and cardboard characters that are little more than caricatures.

It picks a a little in the second half, but this increased tempo would only appeal if you're into watching and listening to a bunch of sadists inside a log-cabin referencing the n-word in every sentence and shooting each other. (95% of the movie takes place inside this same one-room cabin).
Another blooper from Tarantino.
Avoid !

Back