Flat horses to note for the season

Today:

LAND LEGEND - (Newmarket, 13:50)
Bahrain Trophy Stakes (Group 3)

timeform
Excellent second to the smart Chesspiece in 1½m handicap at York's Dante meeting and not seen to best effect in King George Handicap at Royal Ascot since, staying on when badly hampered inside final 1f. Remains capable of better but this is a big jump in class.

Picked up £5k for finishing 5th in this - goes up 13lbs. James Ferguson is a prick.

Crazy bit of placing but the handicapper appears to have overstepped the mark too. He has scope to keep a horse's mark as was in falsely run non-G1 races.

The Newmarket race was very slow and he couldn't go with the quickening better horses late on. For me, there's no strong evidence that the horse is as good as 13lbs better than his previous mark and I imagine the connections are as fizzing about it as you.

Then again, there was evidence that it was better than its mark before the race. Some kind of happy medium might have been in order.

Only way it would make sense is if the owner wanted to sell to Hong Kong which probably isn't the case.

Busy week's racing and a few caught my eye.

In the Quinault race on Thursday I liked the finishing effort of Be Frank who really could have been tracked after his Windsor win but Thankuappreciate was more eye catching. Here I felt Be Frank wasn't done a lot of favours by the draw and being off the pace. He should be competitive in these type races going forward.

In the mile handicap for 3yos at Ascot on Friday Good Gracious was a very impressive winner for Haggas, too impressive for me. The race looked decent with the likes of Theme Park coming from the Balance Play formline and Metal Merchant repping the Silver Bowl which keeps getting let down (mainly by Bordorgan) but the Stoute horse Oliver Show interests me most going forward. Drawn widest of all he was bustled early doors to get the far rail and led throughout until getting collared about a furlong from home. He didn't fold tamely though and I feel getting a lead in a similar race will suit him and as this was only his second handicap and first on turf he has plenty of scope.

There was another 3yo handicap over a mile on Friday and this was at York. Here the front four pulled clear - the winner maybe flattered by being the pace horse, the second Almarin initially I thought the jockey was tender on him but on a rewatch I think he's maybe not straightforward. The horse to take out of this was the third Monty Bay for Clive Cox. This was his second go in a handicap after a forgivable effort at Goodwood where he was slowly away and met trouble in running. He found plenty for pressure here and his pedigree suggests 10f might be optimal. Top trainer as well obviously.

Last edited:
Tomorrow:

LIKE A TIGER - (Newmarket, 19:30)

timeform
Looked on the up when resuming with 10f handicap win at Newmarket in April but he beat only one in Listed race there following month. Well worth another chance back in this grade.

Tomorrow:

BLUESTOCKING - (Curragh, 15:45)

timeform
Bred in the purple and overcame inexperience to make a striking winning debut in 1m Salisbury novice last autumn. Has shaped well when placed behind Warm Heart in Newbury listed race and the Ribblesdale at Royal Ascot (1½m, good to firm) this season. Highly likely more to come after just 3 starts.

DANCING MAGIC - (Newbury, 13:50)

timeform
Remains a maiden but has been highly tried, wasting no time getting back on track in a first-time hood/tongue strap when 4 lengths eighth of 16 to Waipiro in Hampton Court Stakes at Royal Ascot (10f, good to firm) last month, confirming his stamina for the trip. More required here.

EHRAZ - (Newbury, 15:00)

timeform
Smart sprinter who kept good company last year, notably finishing sixth of 20 in the Commonwealth Cup at Royal Ascot. Conditions possibly against him when third on return at Doncaster (6f, heavy) in April and better expected here. Blinkers on first time.

HAVANA BLUE - (Newmarket, 15:40)

timeform
Opened his account in 7f handicap on the Rowley Mile in May and progressed again when following up in good style on this course (7f, good) recently. More needed up 6 lb but he's clearly progressive and completely unexposed at 1m. Lots to like.

NATHANAEL GREENE - (Newbury, 14:25)

timeform
Mainly on the up last season (a dual winner at up to 14f) and hard to knock his efforts in defeat so far this campaign, shaping as if suited by step up to 2m when fourth in Northumberland Plate. First-time blinkers could put an extra edge on him here.

TIME LOCK - (Newmarket, 16:15)

timeform
In the frame in good company this year, not beaten too far when fourth in Lancashire Oaks at Haydock (11.8f, good to firm) 14 days ago. May prove at her best on a slightly slower surface but she sets a good standard nonetheless.

Last edited:

Tolstoy
This gelding has had 25 starts, has moved from Gosden to Stuart Williams and is on a long losing run. Not the sort of horse I'd start tracking. However his run last week at Brighton, his 25th start, was his first over more than 6f - and he's out of a Frankel mare. That interests me, and he looks well handicapped if he can go on from this run on the coast where he was ridden out the back to get the trip yet wasn't over keen and stayed on well even though the winner had flown by then. He was rated in the mid 90s last year and is now off 77.

Stuart ran Tolstoy last night over 5 again, he's obviously after another drop. Didn't back obviously and he was completely outpaced. Still interested when he's stpped up to 7 again,

Tomorrow:

BLUESTOCKING - (Curragh, 15:45)

timeform
Bred in the purple and overcame inexperience to make a striking winning debut in 1m Salisbury novice last autumn. Has shaped well when placed behind Warm Heart in Newbury listed race and the Ribblesdale at Royal Ascot (1½m, good to firm) this season. Highly likely more to come after just 3 starts.

2nd/8 4/1

Bluestocking had been beaten twice by Warm Heart but she proved a different proposition here and the ground had to be a big factor. She did everything right, travelled through the race and was delivered with a well-timed challenge. The Yorkshire Oaks looks the logical next step.RP.

DANCING MAGIC - (Newbury, 13:50)

timeform
Remains a maiden but has been highly tried, wasting no time getting back on track in a first-time hood/tongue strap when 4 lengths eighth of 16 to Waipiro in Hampton Court Stakes at Royal Ascot (10f, good to firm) last month, confirming his stamina for the trip. More required here.

5th/6 10/1

Dancing Magic, who didn't really settle, is another who might be happier dropping back in distance.RP.

EHRAZ - (Newbury, 15:00)

timeform
Smart sprinter who kept good company last year, notably finishing sixth of 20 in the Commonwealth Cup at Royal Ascot. Conditions possibly against him when third on return at Doncaster (6f, heavy) in April and better expected here. Blinkers on first time.

5th/10 9/1

Ehraz, back from a break and fitted with blinkers for the first time, hung left as he tried to make up ground from off the pace. The softening ground conditions may not have seen him at his best.RP.

HAVANA BLUE - (Newmarket, 15:40)

timeform
Opened his account in 7f handicap on the Rowley Mile in May and progressed again when following up in good style on this course (7f, good) recently. More needed up 6 lb but he's clearly progressive and completely unexposed at 1m. Lots to like.

10th/12 6/1

Havana Blue never seriously showed on this hat-trick bid. Having his first race against older opposition, he was probably unsuited by the ease in the ground and didn't see out the longer trip in the conditions.RP..

NATHANAEL GREENE - (Newbury, 14:25)

timeform
Mainly on the up last season (a dual winner at up to 14f) and hard to knock his efforts in defeat so far this campaign, shaping as if suited by step up to 2m when fourth in Northumberland Plate. First-time blinkers could put an extra edge on him here.

7th/15 4/1

Nathanael Greene failed to pick up in the first-time blinkers, running below the form of his
Northumberland Plate fourth.RP

TIME LOCK - (Newmarket, 16:15)

timeform
In the frame in good company this year, not beaten too far when fourth in Lancashire Oaks at Haydock (11.8f, good to firm) 14 days ago. May prove at her best on a slightly slower surface but she sets a good standard nonetheless

Non-runner.

Another poor day for us.

Dunno Bar, none of these are sort of blind bet at all costs. Bluestocking ran a stormer and imo would be a Group 1 winner if the ground hadn't gone soft. Ehraz I do like as a horse but hasn't run since April and honestly I don't like the trainer. Havana Blue I put up and he has won at double figures this season but not over a mile. Didn't like the step up in trip.

No, I know Euro. I wasn’t referring to the betting side of it, just that I thought they ran poorly (bar Bluestocking) for one reason or another.

Nath Greene I can't explain, if he'd been a bit bigger I'd have backed him. Havana Blue should have been pulled, he ran badly on soft at Goodwood 2nd time out. Ehraz might be with the wrong trainer.

We’ve got around 75 horses in our stable atm and I was hoping the entries and TF comments, followed by the RP reports would help people judge what sort of race and conditions might suit as well as whether it is likely that it’s ready to rock.

Last edited:
Tomorrow:

LIKE A TIGER - (Yarmouth, 20:30)

timeform
Looked on the up when resuming with Newmarket handicap win over this trip in April. Beat only one in Listed race there next time but remains low mileage and better expected back in grade here.

REGAL EMPIRE - (Yarmouth, 20:30)

timeform
Dual winner (at up to 11.1f) at Southwell last winter and acquitted himself well on turf more recently, latest when third of 10 in handicap at Newmarket (10f, good) 27 days ago. Not out of things,

SHAHBAZ - (Yarmouth, 18:30)

timeform
Good third of 8 in handicap at Ayr (8f, good, 4/1) 18 days ago, unsuited by drop in trip. Kept to this distance but a visor may sharpen him up.

SHOBIZ - (Yarmouth, 18:00)

timeform
Displayed a willing attitude as he landed good 18-runner 6f Newbury handicap in May. Went close there 6 weeks ago and probably still on the upgrade. Leading claims.

WARNING SIGN - (Newbury, 18:15)

timeform
Thirteenth of 14 in handicap (18/1) at Kempton (8f) 64 days ago. Up in trip with work to do.

Tomorrow:

GAASSEE - (Ascot, 15:35)

timeform
Career back on track after a couple of disappointing runs to start 2023 when keeping on for fourth in the Old Newton Cup at Haydock (1½m, good to firm) 3 weeks ago. Good shout here if he can build on that.

OLIVER SHOW - (Newmarket, 20:10)

timeform
Left previous efforts behind in a first-time tongue strap when winning 10-runner handicap at Kempton (1m) on penultimate start in June. Similar form from 7 lb higher mark when fourth at Ascot (1m) 2 weeks ago. That unlikely his limit.

Tomorrow:

LIKE A TIGER - (Yarmouth, 20:30)

timeform
Looked on the up when resuming with Newmarket handicap win over this trip in April. Beat only one in Listed race there next time but remains low mileage and better expected back in grade here.

5th/11 9/4fav - Like A Tiger finally had the ground in his favour and was better positioned than most given the way the race was run, but he couldn't cut into the advantage of those in front. A stronger gallop would have suited him.RP

https://www.sportinglife.com/racing...aceday-positive-racing-league-race-7-handicap

REGAL EMPIRE - (Yarmouth, 20:30)

timeform
Dual winner (at up to 11.1f) at Southwell last winter and acquitted himself well on turf more recently, latest when third of 10 in handicap at Newmarket (10f, good) 27 days ago. Not out of things,

3rd/11 8/1 - Regal Empire was keen enough but benefited from racing handily and posted a solid effort.RP

SHAHBAZ - (Yarmouth, 18:30)

timeform
Good third of 8 in handicap at Ayr (8f, good, 4/1) 18 days ago, unsuited by drop in trip. Kept to this distance but a visor may sharpen him up.

2nd/9 15/8 fav - Shahbaz, who had a visor on for the first time, didn't get a clear run when he needed it a furlong out and lost momentum when switched. He was rallying well at the finish and looked unlucky.RP

https://www.sportinglife.com/racing...ick-your-places-racing-league-race-3-handicap

SHOBIZ - (Yarmouth, 18:00)

timeform
Displayed a willing attitude as he landed good 18-runner 6f Newbury handicap in May. Went close there 6 weeks ago and probably still on the upgrade. Leading claims.

7th/11 7/2 - Shobiz, normally a prominent racer, missed the break. He weakened having made a forward move from off the pace. This didn't pan out for him.RP

https://www.sportinglife.com/racing...hill-epic-value-racing-league-race-2-handicap

WARNING SIGN - (Newbury, 18:15)

timeform
Thirteenth of 14 in handicap (18/1) at Kempton (8f) 64 days ago. Up in trip with work to do.

2nd/6 9/4jfav - Warning Sign had slipped 10lb since joining his current yard from France and, having been quite the gamble overnight, it was clear this was the day. He was unfortunate, getting caught up in a messy race and proving unable to get past the enterprisingly ridden winner, his rider also picking up a two-day ban for being careless.RP

https://www.sportinglife.com/racing...ury/749920/betvictor-amateur-jockeys-handicap

Bit late with results, sorry.

Tomorrow:

GAASSEE - (Ascot, 15:35)

timeform
Career back on track after a couple of disappointing runs to start 2023 when keeping on for fourth in the Old Newton Cup at Haydock (1½m, good to firm) 3 weeks ago. Good shout here if he can build on that.

OLIVER SHOW - (Newmarket, 20:10)

timeform
Left previous efforts behind in a first-time tongue strap when winning 10-runner handicap at Kempton (1m) on penultimate start in June. Similar form from 7 lb higher mark when fourth at Ascot (1m) 2 weeks ago. That unlikely his limit.

Gaassee 4th/7 11/8fav - Gaassee travelled best into the straight and looked set to go on and win when joining issue 2f out, but he found little extra for pressure. He promised to be suited by the ground conditions but perhaps it was a bit tacky for him.RP

https://www.sportinglife.com/racing/results/2023-07-28/ascot/750097/john-guest-racing-handicap

Oliver Show 3rd/5 5/1 - Oliver Show once again went left under pressure, so did really well to be as close as he was passing the post. Gelding and/or headgear may not be far off for him.RP

https://www.sportinglife.com/racing.../750092/every-race-live-on-racing-tv-handicap

Last edited:
Tomorrow:

ANCIENT WISDOM - (Ascot, 16:15)

timeform
€2,000,000 yearling who made an impressive winning debut at Haydock (7f) last month and followed up at Newmarket (7f, good) 15 days later. Sets the standard on form and remains open to further improvement.

LION KINGDOM - (Newmarket, 14:50)

timeform
Improved with each of his 3 starts as a juvenile and shaped well when fourth in a 15-runner 1m handicap on the Rowley Mile on return. Poor 12 weeks on at Ascot over this trip, but remains with potential and top apprentice up.

MONTASSIB - (Ascot, 15:00)

timeform
Back to winning ways at Newmarket (7f, good) in May but has found life tougher in the Buckingham Palace here and Bunbury Cup at Newmarket since. Buick takes the ride again but others are more obvious.

MR MISTOFFELEES - (Ascot, 16:50)

timeform
Progressive at 2 yrs, getting off the mark at Kempton (1m) in December. Ran well in defeat on first 2 starts this term, not beaten far when mid-field in London Gold Cup at Newbury (10f). Didn't get home upped in trip at Royal Ascot last time, but needs to resume progress back at 1m.

PROMOTER - (Newmarket, 14:50)

timeform
Beat a now useful rival when the ready winner of a 7f Chepstow novice last September and his form in good 3-y-o handicaps this term also stacks up, doing good work towards the line at Epsom 8 weeks ago. Bang there

One I've added to my tracker:

Wildfell (Peter Chapple-Hyam) - won a string of very low level races for a lowly mark of 73 but then Pitched in against good 100+ types in a Listed at the July Meeting. Finished last but only just over ten lengths behind the impressive winner Nostrum. Raised 9lbs to 82 but you could make a case for that being lenient. Interesting to see where the trainer goes next with it.

Richard Hannon Junior at the pre parade ring today told me to back Rosallion. He said ' he's a very good horse'. I rarely bet as already mentioned , and I would quite honestly, never back a Hannon horse although I know he and his father have/had a good record with a lot of 2 year olds, particularly in their first couple of runs. I'd have never picked him out in the paddock either but thought okay, I can't see him beating the favourite so I'll risk a fiver on a forecast......yessssss welll........ but seriously a very, very nice performance. Be worth maybe keeping an eye on him for the rest of the season.

Richard Hannon Junior at the pre parade ring today told me to back Rosallion. He said ' he's a very good horse'. I rarely bet as already mentioned , and I would quite honestly, never back a Hannon horse although I know he and his father have/had a good record with a lot of 2 year olds, particularly in their first couple of runs. I'd have never picked him out in the paddock either but thought okay, I can't see him beating the favourite so I'll risk a fiver on a forecast......yessssss welll........ but seriously a very, very nice performance. Be worth maybe keeping an eye on him for the rest of the season.

Yes, I think that was a hot race as well and I think worth keeping an eye on a few of them.

Back