Flat horses to note for the season

By the way, that race was very fast late. A lot of the principals covered the final three furlongs in under 35s and the front three covered the last five furlongs in under 60s.

Screenshot (8).png

A few from last week (Mon-Fri). Catch the Paddy from the 7f hcap for 3yos at York on Wed. The winner led from the off and did well but I liked the way CtP put distance betweem himself and the other frame horses inside the last half furlong. I rate Kevin Ryan and this horse was well thought of enough as a 2yo to start sub 20/1 in the Gimcrack.

The following day the 12f hcap also for 3yos looked like it was gonna be informative from the start and so it proved. The winner has form with Military Order and Exoplanet who looked the horse to take out of Newbury's big hcap on Saturday and likely all three (MO obviously) are stakes horses. Land Legend came from the very rear to finish second but I don't think there was a pace collapse, the two Johnson entrants who set it finished well enough. Land Legend has a full brother who stays 2 miles so maybe he could be a Melrose horse down the line - Wild Crusade was runner-up in last year's renewal and ended up going off 4/1 for that race.

Lastly I don't usually go below class 4 when I review the previous week's action but I made an exception for the last at Newmarket on Thursday as that race was won by Quinault who went on to take the Jumby/Harry Three hcap two days later and was obviously ungodly well handicapped for this. Sure enough he won well (isolated far side, powering home). The main pack however was led home by Ertebat who finished (strongly after not being best away from the stalls) 2L clear of the 3rd. I hope the handicapper isn't too harsh on this formline given what Quinault did two days later.

I mentioned it on another thread and jinnyj said she was of a similar opinion so it should be safe to put these up here.

The principals from the London Gold Cup on Saturday:

Bertinelli
Bold Act
Exoplanet

In fact, I reckon just about everything that ran in that race will have a race or two in them this season, and I'm thinking in particular about some of the better summer hcaps for 3yos and all-age ones into the autumn.

Bear in mind that the three above were 3yos racing over 2f further than the G1 Lockinge.

Each of the three covered the last four furlongs faster than any of the Lockinge field. And they each carried more weight than the Lockinge field.

Okay, sections tell us that the Lockinge was fast-run and they were slowing down. The winner recorded gradually slower times in each of his last three furlongs. He just happened to be finishing less slowly than those about him.

They also tell us the London Gold Cup was not as fast as it had looked but they were all finishing with purpose. To finish faster than G1 horses they must have a bit of pace about them, maybe the kind of pace that will put a lot of races at their mercy against lesser animals.

I can't wait to see how the form pans out.

The other good thing is that it was a tight finish so the winner probably won't go up any more than 4lbs or 5lbs. They are probably all Group horses waiting to happen.

Last edited:
Indeed. I'll re-watch Saturday's action tomorrow (a whole week in one go is too much) and look forward to seeing that race again. Another thing I do is I listen to certain Tipster's views, the ones I respect, after the racing is over or the following day and Delargy put up Raintown at a big price for this. That interested me as that horse was behind two candidates from this thread - Island Star and Man of Eden at Goodwood.

Bertinelli
Bold Act
Exoplanet

The other good thing is that it was a tight finish so the winner probably won't go up any more than 4lbs or 5lbs. They are probably all Group horses waiting to happen.

The winner's new mark isn't online yet but the second has gone up 4lbs and the third 3lbs so I imagine it will be 5lbs for the winner.

That could end up looking very lenient.

MR MISTOFFELEES was the one that caught my eye.probably over further.

Have Secret in 4th for me. Quite exposed as a 3yo but he improved as they stepped up in trip - even running over 10 which is a surprise given his pedigree. Also interesting is that unlike most of the field this was his debut run of the season which has to be unusual for such a traditionally hot race.

Silly entry. Needs further than a mile.

Worthy of tracking with that sort of drop - think he needs 12f though.
Horses race - trainers place:
Gary Moore's had the gelding since last July. but hasn't a clue what the horse needs??
Half brother to a 9f group 3 winner by a 7f sire, and taking a sizeable drop in class & distance. Stable in flying form,too.
Wouldn't be my cup of tea, but I'm not the one doubting a capable and experienced trainer.

Horses race - trainers place:
Gary Moore's had the gelding since last July. but hasn't a clue what the horse needs??
Half brother to a 9f group 3 winner by a 7f sire, and taking a sizeable drop in class & distance. Stable in flying form,too.
Wouldn't be my cup of tea, but I'm not the one doubting a capable and experienced trainer.

I'm not doubting his ability, more whether this is the actual target or not.

It was a steady pace (even compared with the novices in the later7f contest) where the first 3 were always in the van and the gelding was dropped out, and never put into it.
Make of it what you will.:)

I mentioned it on another thread and jinnyj said she was of a similar opinion so it should be safe to put these up here.

Bertinelli
Bold Act
Exoplanet

In fact, I reckon just about everything that ran in that race will have a race or two in them this season, and I'm thinking in particular about some of the better summer hcaps for 3yos and all-age ones into the autumn.

Bear in mind that the three above were 3yos racing over 2f further than the G1 Lockinge.

Each of the three covered the last four furlongs faster than any of the Lockinge field. And they each carried more weight than the Lockinge field.

Okay, sections tell us that the Lockinge was fast-run and they were slowing down. The winner recorded gradually slower times in each of his last three furlongs. He just happened to be finishing less slowly than those about him.

They also tell us the London Gold Cup was not as fast as it had looked but they were all finishing with purpose. To finish faster than G1 horses they must have a bit of pace about them, maybe the kind of pace that will put a lot of races at their mercy against lesser animals.

I can't wait to see how the form pans out.

I've had another look at the race, with the benefit of hard-copy form and sectional timings.

I'm keeping the horses - all of the runners - in my tracker to see how the form unfolds but it must have been much slower than it looked with huge finishing sections [right through the field]. It must have been a jog-and-sprint race.

But the principals all represented top stables and most of the big ones had a runner. Jinnyj told us how highly Desert Hero was regarded and he was swamped late on.

The form book is saying, presumably because of the slow time, that it wasn't much of a race. I hope they're wrong about that.

Another from later in the day I want to keep an eye on is the winner of the closing 6f handicap. On sectionals. this was the most evenly run race and produced the comparatively fastest time. Shobiz (Charlie Hills) has only gone up 4lbs, is probably on a nice curve and will be dangerous in any handicap he can get into off 81. That won't make the Wokingham but if the curve continues he could end up being a player in Stewards' Cup or Ayr Gold Cup.

Last edited:
I've had another look at the race, with the benefit of hard-copy form and sectional timings.

I'm keeping the horses - all of the runners - in my tracker to see how the form unfolds but it must have been much slower than it looked with huge finishing sections [right through the field]. It must have been a jog-and-sprint race.

But the principals all represented top stables and most of the big ones had a runner. Jinnyj told us how highly Desert Hero was regarded and he was swamped late on.

The form book is saying, presumably because of the slow time, that it wasn't much of a race. I hope they're wrong about that.

Another from later in the day I want to keep an eye on is the winner of the closing 6f handicap. On sectionals. this was the most evenly run race and produced the comparatively fastest time. Shobiz (Charlie Hills) has only gone up 4lbs, is probably on a nice curve and will be dangerous in any handicap he can get into off 81. That won't make the Wokingham but if the curve continues he could end up being a player in Stewards' Cup or Ayr Gold Cup.
Just watched rthe replay, and it looked steady for about 7f with most of the racing done in the remaining distance.
Still a good race though, and interesting to note that Exoplanet (for instance) was right out the back when the taps were turned on.
Haven't looked at the sectionals, but (imo) the maths are pointless in this case and it's better judged with the naked eye.

Last edited:
Back