Flat horses to note for the season

I don't agree with that. That's the problem with RP analysis, they have to do so many horses they just brush over them. As a 2yo Striking Star only ran over 7, the distance is perfect for him. Today's drop was not needed but at least he'll be a better price next time.
Agree; much the same with their form comments on the racecards.
Not done in any depth, and often just plain wrong (fortunately, often reflected in horse's SP).

Last edited:
Tomorrow:

SECRET ANGEL - (Epsom Downs, 17:10)

Nyetimber Surrey Stakes (Listed)

timeform
Scored 3 times as a juvenile, most notably in listed event at Deauville. Has taken her form up a notch stepped up in grade this year, fourth to Sacred in Chartwell Stakes at Lingfield (7f, AW) just under 3 weeks ago, so holds solid each-way claims.

Tomorrow:

PASSENGER - (Epsom Downs, 13:30)
Betfred Derby (Group 1) (British Champions Series)

timeform
Scopey sort who overcame inexperience to make a winning debut in maiden (Wood Ditton) at Newmarket and took a massive step forward when third in Dante at York, likely to have gone very close to winning with a clear run. Has since been supplemented for this and remains an exciting prospect

Tomorrow:

AMERICAN FLAG - (Chantilly, 15:05)
Race:
Qatar Prix du Jockey Club (Group 1)

Last week was fairly fertile for potential horses to note. At Epsom I liked the runs Balance Play and Promoter in the handicap Torito won like a group horse. The former didn't seem to handle the track that well and the latter was stepping up in trip in a big way and acquitted himself really well coming from the rear.

One thing I've noticed this season is horses who are winning with lots to spare by like two lengths plus aren't going up enough. Peace Man a 4yo having his first run in handicap company at Windsor on the 29th May was very eye catching in beating a solid type by 3L has only gone up 7lbs and that makes him interesting for the John Smith's which entries came out for either this morning or yesterday. He's a Gosden so the price might be cramped, but his win coming at Windsor might mitigate this, we'll have to see.

Lastly:
Only one tracker out today, Lion of War at Musselbrough. This horse ran well at the track in April behind Finn's Charm and Gincident (won since) but the mile that day seemed inadequate and I was happy to back him stepped up to 10f at the Guineas meeting. Unfortunately he was all at sea in the dip before staying on once he met the rising ground. With the form of that race being franked since I'm giving him another chance at the price.

Lion of War won this so nicely. He was bumped coming out the stalls and his jockey took him to the inside from his badish draw. This move meant he was detached from the field by a good three lengths as they went round the bend but he was brought to the outside and won comfortable enough. He'll still be ahead of the handicapper, esp if they step up to 10f.

Tomorrow:

ST VINCENTS GARDEN - (Fairyhouse, 19:05)
Race:Chill & Grill At Fairyhouse Maiden

timeform
Twice-raced colt. 10/3, ran about as well as could have been expected upped in grade when 2¼ lengths last of 6 to Peking Opera in listed race at Navan (13f, soft) 27 days ago. Looks the one to beat.

Last edited:
8/6 Hamilton 6 furlongs Class 2 - Khanjar had raced up with the pace last time at York (was never put under much pressure and allowed to just drift in when his chance had gone to finish 12th/21 ) and blew his chances here being slowly away. Nonetheless he ran a strong race from 2 out and although he couldn’t do much about the winner (to whom he was giving eleven pounds) he was nearly four lengths in front of the rest and had hit the line quite strongly. He was giving it a go in this one despite the tardy start and I reckon Haggas will find a decent race for him.

Last edited:
8/6 Hamilton 6 furlongs Class 2 - Khanjar had raced up with the pace last time at York (was never put under much pressure and allowed to just drift in when his chance had gone to finish 12th/21 ) and blew his chances here being slowly away. Nonetheless he ran a strong race from 2 out and although he couldn’t do much about the winner (to whom he was giving eleven pounds) he was nearly four lengths in front of the rest and had hit the line quite strongly. He was giving it a go in this one despite the tardy start and I reckon Haggas will find a decent race for him.

And finishing 2nd in a 15 grand race wont effect his mark.

Tomorrow:

CHARTWELL HOUSE - (Haydock, 16:10)
Sky Bet Extra Places Every Day Handicap

timeform
Epsom maiden winner (7f) at 2 yrs. Good efforts on 2 of his 3 starts in handicaps so far this term, latterly when fourth of 13 at Newmarket (7f) 3 weeks ago. Looks sure to be in the mix again from same mark.

TIME LOCK - (Haydock, 15:00)
Sky Bet Lester Piggott Stakes (Registered As The Pinnacle Stakes) (Fillies' And Mares' Group 3)

timeform
Progressed very well last year, going close in the Galtres at York (1½m) when stepped up to listed level on her final outing. Produced a perfectly satisfactory return after 9 months off when runner-up at Goodwood (12f) last month and there's surely more to come from her

The 7furlong GPW Recruitment Carl Foster Memorial EBF Novice Stakes at Haydock this evening likely contained some very good horses since it’s used as a Chesham Stakes tryout. Very good they might be, but Appleby’s Ancient Wisdom put them to the sword and won very impressively by 5 lengths. Like him.

Tomorrow:

CHARTWELL HOUSE - (Haydock, 16:10)
Sky Bet Extra Places Every Day Handicap

timeform
Epsom maiden winner (7f) at 2 yrs. Good efforts on 2 of his 3 starts in handicaps so far this term, latterly when fourth of 13 at Newmarket (7f) 3 weeks ago. Looks sure to be in the mix again from same mark.

TIME LOCK - (Haydock, 15:00)
Sky Bet Lester Piggott Stakes (Registered As The Pinnacle Stakes) (Fillies' And Mares' Group 3)

timeform
Progressed very well last year, going close in the Galtres at York (1½m) when stepped up to listed level on her final outing. Produced a perfectly satisfactory return after 9 months off when runner-up at Goodwood (12f) last month and there's surely more to come from her

CHARTWELL HOUSE - Won, easy peasy 5/2 (from 6/1)

https://www.sportinglife.com/racing...42072/sky-bet-extra-places-every-day-handicap

TIME LOCK - not up to this class it seems, faded rapidly when push came to shove.

https://www.sportinglife.com/racing...the-pinnacle-stakes-fillies-and-mares-group-3

Tomorrow:

AL ASIFAH - (Goodwood, 15:20)
Weatherbys / British EBF Agnes Keyser Fillies' Stakes (Listed)

timeform
Frankel filly who landed the odds in impressive fashion on her debut in 6-runner maiden at Haydock (10.2f, good) 17 days ago. Has plenty more to offer so she's firmly in the picture despite this big step up in grade.

SHOBIZ - (Goodwood, 16:55)
William Hill Handicap

timeform
Redcar maiden winner over 7f and all the more encouraging he could build on his promising C&D reappearance effort when landing 18-runner Newbury handicap (6f) 33 weeks ago, displaying a brilliant attitude. Big shout from 4 lb higher mark.

Tomorrow:

AL ASIFAH - (Goodwood, 15:20)
Weatherbys / British EBF Agnes Keyser Fillies' Stakes (Listed)

timeform
Frankel filly who landed the odds in impressive fashion on her debut in 6-runner maiden at Haydock (10.2f, good) 17 days ago. Has plenty more to offer so she's firmly in the picture despite this big step up in grade.

This one has got me jiggy.

Last edited:
On his first run over 5f Makarova probably ran the race of his life last week,yet has only been raised 2lb by the OH.
Looks something to bet on in similar circumstances.

Last edited:
She was on my tracker last year after a good run at the Glorious meeting but I knocked her off it after a really bad effort at Salisbury.

Royal Charter
my only one from last week. Held up in the race won by the awesome Chartwell House this was his debut run of the season and he ran well considering it paid to be up with the pace all day at Haydock.

Put Lion's Dream in your notebook for when he drops another couple of pounds, Ceiren Fallon gave him a Masterclass how to get a horse beaten ride today. Drifted like a barge in both the win and place markets he went off like a scalded cat knowing full well the horse was never going to get home...finished out of the first 3 looked like a plan to me.

Not much pace on,Fist (slower than the class 6 that preceded it)
Riding a 10f winner in first time pieces, CF did his best for the horse, but was outpaced in the end, imo.

Last edited:
Tomorrow:

SHOBIZ - (Newbury, 16:30)
BetVictor Handicap

timeform
After 11 months off, ran creditably when third at Goodwood in May and took a step forward when returning to winning ways in 18-runner contest at this C&D 15 days later. Displayed a willing attitude with William Buick back on board last time, so he looks to hold leading claims.

A few from last week (Mon-Fri). Catch the Paddy from the 7f hcap for 3yos at York on Wed. The winner led from the off and did well but I liked the way CtP put distance betweem himself and the other frame horses inside the last half furlong. I rate Kevin Ryan and this horse was well thought of enough as a 2yo to start sub 20/1 in the Gimcrack.

Declared for the Macmillan on Saturday. He's tempting at a double figure price but the drop down to 6 worries me a tad, especially at a pace track like York. I actually have a second tracker in this, Chasseral, but I can resist her because she's got a tricky draw and Balding has booked Hayley for some reason.

Back