Flat horses to note for the season

J
Haven't looked at the sectionals, but (imo) the maths are pointless in this case and it's better judged with the naked eye.

In this case I'm inclined to agree.

The maths tell us they'll all be worth big mark-ups but mark-ups relate to performances against the clock. If the winner gets a mark-up of, say, 12lbs it's against its time rating which might only be around 70.

But it's always a good race, as we know, and the fact that the best part of a dozen highly-regarded horses were flying up the straight almost together was an unusually compelling sight - I didn't have a bet in the race because I don't bet in 3yo hcaps until the royal meeting (very occasionally Epsom) - and I remain confident the form will be worth following.

AL ASIFAH loped through her first race easily looking the most comfortable and zoomed off when she lit the afterburners. Pretty impressive I thought.

Not sure where to put this so apologies if this incorrect:
Hukum, very impressive tonight at Sandown and Jim Crowley heard to say on the way in, 'told you he was better than ever'. This sort of confirmed by interview with Owen Burrows afterwards. Have to say he looked a picture in the paddock. Next stop Prince of Wales possibly , although they wouldn't want super fast ground. KG after that. This from Richard Hills. I literally walked into the back of him on the way back in and then couldn't help myself but ask.
Desert Crown possibly not 100% fit but also looked very well albeit not a striking kind of horse at all.
Really wished I could lip read the conversation between Ryan Moore and Stoute before the race after...both laughing away and very animated. Hoping Assessment okay after pulling up very quickly. :(
Kingscote rode a great race on Roberto Escobar as well - what a lovely looking horse he is too.

Desert Crown will come on a good bit. Kingscote maybe over-confident and tried to win without asking him for everything but Hukum's late surge appeared to catch him - probably everybody outside the stable! - by surprise.

Impressive from the winner given he's got form over 14f and probably has improved a lot.

(I'd be training him for Ebor :p)

Desert Crown will come on a good bit. Kingscote maybe over-confident and tried to win without asking him for everything but Hukum's late surge appeared to catch him - probably everybody outside the stable! - by surprise.

Impressive from the winner given he's got form over 14f and probably has improved a lot.

(I'd be training him for Ebor :p)

Tony Martin any relation ?

King Of Conquesr 1.30G
Up in trip and on quicker gound - as prescribed.
Have taken 9/2 with B365;will go in again if it drifts in the morning.

King Of Conquesr 1.30G
Up in trip and on quicker gound - as prescribed.
Have taken 9/2 with B365;will go in again if it drifts in the morning.

Gonna be a fascinating market for this. The fav is a little uneasy and I have backed El Drama. Will likely lay some IR and KoC I will put in a multiple or two as I fancy six or seven tomorrow and have rollovers going onto Yacowlef and Korker. Big day

Big day for the thread tomorrow:

COVEY- (Haydock 14:25) 9/4
Betfred Silver Bowl Handicap (Heritage Handicap)

Promising type who arrives on the back of Newmarket maiden and Newcastle novice wins (both 7f) this spring. Should stay 1m. Exciting prospect who is likely to have a big say on handicap debut

CRYSTAL ESTRELLA - (Goodwood, 16:20) 100/30
British EBF 40th Anniversary Fillies' Handicap

Won here last season and upped her game when a strong-finishing second at Brighton 25 days ago. More to come and boasts leading claims up in trip.

KING OF CONQUEST - (Goodwood, 13:30) 9/2
William Hill Festival Stakes (Listed)

Lightly-raced 4-y-o who has taken his form up a level this season, landing big-field 9f handicaps in Bahrain and at Newmarket three weeks ago. Defied an official mark of 102 on latter occasion so he must enter calculations.

NATHANAEL GREENE - (Goodwood, 15:10) 7/2
Tony Barrett Memorial Handicap

Mainly on the up last season (a dual winner) and he resumed from 6 months off with an encouraging fifth of 8 in handicap at Ascot (12f, soft) 14 days ago, staying on late. Needs considering now stepped back up in trip.

VERDANSK - (York, 15:50) 5/1
William Hill Extra Place Races Daily Handicap

Fairly useful form, shaping well when third of 8 on 7f Newmarket handicap debut on reappearance, fading in the closing stages under testing ground conditions. Could see things out better on this quicker surface.

YACOWLEF - (Goodwood, 14:05) 9/2
William Hill Harrows Handicap

Won a 6f novice here last autumn. Good start in handicaps at Newmarket this spring, second of 14 over 6f at the Craven meeting before winning over 7f (heavy) 3 weeks ago. Considered up 6 lb.

Big day for the thread tomorrow:

COVEY- (Haydock 14:25) 9/4. WON 6/4
Betfred Silver Bowl Handicap (Heritage Handicap)

Promising type who arrives on the back of Newmarket maiden and Newcastle novice wins (both 7f) this spring. Should stay 1m. Exciting prospect who is likely to have a big say on handicap debut

CRYSTAL ESTRELLA - (Goodwood, 16:20) 100/30. 6th (drifted to 7/1)
British EBF 40th Anniversary Fillies' Handicap

Won here last season and upped her game when a strong-finishing second at Brighton 25 days ago. More to come and boasts leading claims up in trip.

KING OF CONQUEST - (Goodwood, 13:30) 9/2 WON 4/1
William Hill Festival Stakes (Listed)

Lightly-raced 4-y-o who has taken his form up a level this season, landing big-field 9f handicaps in Bahrain and at Newmarket three weeks ago. Defied an official mark of 102 on latter occasion so he must enter calculations.

NATHANAEL GREENE - (Goodwood, 15:10) 7/2 4th 11/4
Tony Barrett Memorial Handicap

Mainly on the up last season (a dual winner) and he resumed from 6 months off with an encouraging fifth of 8 in handicap at Ascot (12f, soft) 14 days ago, staying on late. Needs considering now stepped back up in trip.

VERDANSK - (York, 15:50) 5/1. 10th 7/2fav
William Hill Extra Place Races Daily Handicap

Fairly useful form, shaping well when third of 8 on 7f Newmarket handicap debut on reappearance, fading in the closing stages under testing ground conditions. Could see things out better on this quicker surface.

YACOWLEF - (Goodwood, 14:05) 9/2 2nd 4/1. - Yacowlef, 6lb higher than for his recent Newmarket win, ran into all sorts of trouble when trying to get closer, but although he flew once in the clear the winner was away and gone. He seemed to handle the ground well enough and should be winning again soon granted a bit more luck. 4/
William Hill Harrows Handicap

Won a 6f novice here last autumn. Good start in handicaps at Newmarket this spring, second of 14 over 6f at the Craven meeting before winning over 7f (heavy) 3 weeks ago. Considered up 6 lb.

Results in red

King of Conquest was nice for reet.

Sadly mine were awful aside from Yacowlef who was most unlucky but it's only money loaned, I think he's a group horse.

Thought I’d try and keep track of how the assembled might of Talking Horses get on with their picks. I’m putting them all in a tracker and will give them 3 starts to deliver. Will try and give advance notice of runners.

So far we have had 10 runs with 2 wins and 2 third places. (Could do better Mr Beasley :D)

Win Yacowlef 7/2
Win Covey 1/16 :eek:
3rd Dancing Magic 12/1
3rd Theoryofeverthing 6/1

Since then we’ve had 22 runners with 8 Winners and 6 Placers

Winnners:

Orazio 13/8
Cuban Thunder 5/4
Flag of St George 13/8
Havana Blue 10/1
Montassib 6/4
Pinafore 4/6
Covy 6/4
King of Conquest 4/1

Running total: 32 runners 10 Winners 8 Placers

Just trying this out. Thought Dramatised was very good at Haydock and wondered if I could copy the video to here.

https://youtu.be/dm6Z-EDDi0g

Mmm, need to know his number, where he was drawn and colours.

No: 14 Drawn: 10 IMG_1655.gif
wore hood to post, tracked leaders on near sider rail, going well when squeezed through over 1f out, shaken up and quickened to lead inside final furlong, soon clear, won with ears pricked

Blimey, you can tell there’s no racing today :). Do you think this is worth doing?

Last edited:
Tomorrow:

INSINUENDO - (Curragh, 15:15)

She's ran a nice race in third today at a trip that looks too short. I'll be keeping a close eye on her when stepped up in trip later this season.

Last edited:
Not sure if this will work for INSINUENDO race. https://www.sportinglife.com/racing...anwades-stud-stakes-fillies-and-mares-group-2 . Think you’ll need to join (free) and log in.

No: 3 Drawn 6 IMG_1656.gif

Insinuendo kept up a run of consistency which remains on most ground and over a variety of trips. She made her challenge 1f out but she didn't have the pace to respond on this ground when the winner found a bit more. She could add to her tally but she is more effective over further on this ground. RP

Tomorrow:

STRIKING STAR - (Leicester, 16:48) 5/2 atm
King Power Handicap

timeform: Found only one too good once more, but again ran well when second of 13 in handicap at Newmarket (7f, good, 6/4) 9 days ago. Can make his presence felt.

Last edited:
Open To Question.( Noel Meade)
Ran a nice race on debut yesterday
Missed break , ran on nicely through them to be 4th beaten 4.75 L at 20/1.
By Noble Mission and a typical Meade good looking horse.
More to come hopefully.

Not sure if this will work for INSINUENDO race. https://www.sportinglife.com/racing...anwades-stud-stakes-fillies-and-mares-group-2 . Think you’ll need to join (free) and log in.

No: 3 Drawn 6 View attachment 3011

Insinuendo kept up a run of consistency which remains on most ground and over a variety of trips. She made her challenge 1f out but she didn't have the pace to respond on this ground when the winner found a bit more. She could add to her tally but she is more effective over further on this ground. RP

Tomorrow:

STRIKING STAR - (Leicester, 16:48) 5/2 atm
King Power Handicap

timeform: Found only one too good once more, but again ran well when second of 13 in handicap at Newmarket (7f, good, 6/4) 9 days ago. Can make his presence felt.

7th/10
Striking Star, down to this trip for the first time, was up there early but once off the bridle he started to hang and had little left. He has now been a beaten favourite on his last five starts and is one to treat with caution.RP.

To watch it:

https://www.sportinglife.com/racing/results/2023-05-29/leicester/739824/king-power-handicap

Last edited:
I don't agree with that. That's the problem with RP analysis, they have to do so many horses they just brush over them. As a 2yo Striking Star only ran over 7, the distance is perfect for him. Today's drop was not needed but at least he'll be a better price next time.

Is it the “had little left” bit where you disagree, Euro? I, too, thought 7f was ok for him and I wondered why they felt the need to try 6f and it wasn’t for him, he did hang quite violently when push came to shove and after that Buick went pretty easy on him. I do think he’s been disappointing, though.

Back